Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Would you get your makeup professionally done?

amother

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 1:17 pm
Would you get your makeup professionally done for a nephew or niece's wedding? I was debating if I should go to a makeup lady or should I just go to Mac in Kings Plaza or to Sephora and have it done there. What's your opinion?

Raisin

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 1:19 pm
waste of money imo. But I guess it depends what everyone else is doing.

amother

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 1:22 pm
Kallah, sisters, grandmothers and mothers are getting their makeup professionally done.

Faigy86

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 1:23 pm
Do you feel comfortable with how you usually look without it being professional?
Is the expense an issue?

Raisin

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 1:26 pm
amother wrote:
Kallah, sisters, grandmothers and mothers are getting their makeup professionally done.

are there other aunts? Who is paying for it? If I was paying, no. going to the mall is a good idea but time consuming.

amother

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 1:28 pm
I have to pay for it. No one is treating me.

amother

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 1:29 pm
Hmm this is tricky because Ive had both good and bad experiences. The thing I find with some of the frum makeup artists, is that the makeup looks sooooo cakey, like a mask, and I HATE that!! There have been times where I looked at myself, and forget about wanting to burst out crying, spent 20 minutes wiping off half of it. I also find when frum ppl do it it has a certain look, I cant explain it, very unnatural- if you are a makeup artist, please do not take offense I know there is a lot that goes into it, and this is not to say everyone does makeup this way, its just my experiences. I would go to Mac in the mall, they are amazing, Ive done it. They do a beautiful, natural job, use bronzers, long eyelashes...I was very happy with them. Thats what I would reccomend. Good luck.

amother

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 1:45 pm
I have a makeup artist that I like but she charges seventy to seventy five dollars. Is it really worth it? I don't know how many pictures I am really going to be in.

amother

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 1:48 pm
Amother from before- I would say just go for it. You want to feel good, enjoy yourself, and look good in pics. Yea, you can do it at home for free, but if you can afford the money go for it, definitely. I mean, how often do you have these kind of occasions. Unless you know of a friend or something that would do it for less. If not, I would do it.

Isramom8

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 2:20 pm
I had it done twice, for my second son's bar mitzvah and my oldest daughter's wedding. Terrible idea for me. Way too much color. I've gotten so many more compliments when I've spent a long time doing my own makeup for my family's simchas. I just have to research more doing my own lips, because that's one thing the pros do better for me than I do for myself.

Fox

Post Wed, May 09 2012, 7:07 am
I've never entirely understood the concept of having make-up done professionally for a simcha.

Although I haven't done it in years, I used to go to a professional makeup artist every 2-3 years to have her teach me how to do my own makeup; how to select appropriate colors; how to evaluate products, etc. I felt I got a lot of information and expertise for my money, and I learned how to do both my everyday make-up as well as special occasion makeup so that it looked sophisticated without being overdone. In fact, as I write this, I realize I should probably schedule a session -- it's been more years than I can remember, and I definitely need an update!

The problem, as Isramom mentions, is that a lot of "simcha makeup" actually looks like stage makeup. Whenever I attend a simcha where the entire female side of the family has availed themselves of professional makeup artistry, all I can think of is, "Dance, 10; Looks, 3"*

Years ago, I suspect the "stage makeup" look was considered desirable because pictures tended to wash out details. But with high-definition digital photography, I don't think that reasoning makes sense anymore.

So I'd opt for doing your own makeup or getting minimal help. Spend the money on learning how to do various makeup techniques yourself!

* Line in a song from A Chorus Line, the musical about aspiring Broadway performers.

cbsmommy

Post Wed, May 09 2012, 7:25 am
Fox -

It honestly comes down to education level. ANYONE can call themselves a makeup artist. There's no license (in Illinois, you don't need to be an esthetician or a cosmetologist). Additionally, Illinois has no good make-up only schools. Your education at a cosmetology school will vary. Some schools are better than others. Some don't cover the hygiene aspect of makeup, others don't cover the differences in skin types and ethnicities. And still there was another that I heard about that was using ACRYLIC PAINT in their airbrushes b/c it was more 'cost effective' (yeah, a school decided that a known carcinogen was much more cost effective than makeup made with FDA approved ingredients; and then I wonder why the average layperson doesn't realize that the walmart and dollar store face paints on the market aren't for use on skin. If a make-up school had trouble seeing the difference, how's joe shmoe supposed too? But I digress).

So you basically have a profession in the frum community (especially b/c the frum make-up artists tend not to work a lot in the modeling world doing photoshoots) where a LOT of people have 1-2 classes, or they received compliments on their ability to use makeup well on themselves, and so they practices until they started advertising. While that works for some industries, in the makeup industry that doesn't always cut it.

yksraya

Post Wed, May 09 2012, 7:29 am
for my brothers/sisters weddings I did it professionaly otherwise I do it myself.

Fox

Post Wed, May 09 2012, 7:35 am
cbsmommy wrote:
ANYONE can call themselves a makeup artist.

Very true! I've never actually been to anyone within the frum community, and I'm sure the knowledge and level of professionalism varies enormously. I always had good luck with Merle Norman studios, but even there, I had a few less-than-stellar experiences. I've also had good luck with people in the theatrical field -- they were cognizant of the difference between the makeup for Cats and how I wanted to look walking down the street. Not that some whiskers might not be an improvement.

But it's a little like finding an obstetrician; it's not always easy to find someone who has both the training and technical know-how and understands what you need.

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 09 2012, 8:10 am
I say if you want to treat yourself, it's a great occasion. If not, then unless you're the kalla, people aren't looking anyway LOL

Yocheved84

Post Wed, May 09 2012, 8:25 am
Treat yourself! You deserve it. Maybe try an Aveda makeup salon to get it done? All natural products...

chocolate chips

Post Wed, May 09 2012, 1:15 pm
It depends how much else you have to do on the day.

If it was my niece or nephew, if I had a lot to do on the day and kids to prepare chances are there would be little time for me to relax and have time to do my makeup properly (which I can do well) so I would pay (not too much) to get it done prof.

If you don't have the money/its too expensive, make sure you set yourself some time and do your own properly.

Raisin

Post Wed, May 09 2012, 1:49 pm
chocolate chips wrote:
It depends how much else you have to do on the day.

If it was my niece or nephew, if I had a lot to do on the day and kids to prepare chances are there would be little time for me to relax and have time to do my makeup properly (which I can do well) so I would pay (not too much) to get it done prof.

If you don't have the money/its too expensive, make sure you set yourself some time and do your own properly.

if you are using the artist that the kallah and siblings are using, you might find you need to have it done very early in the day. I was given that option at one wedding. I didn't feel happy about having makeup done at 9am so I did it myself. (she turned out to be rubbish anyway)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics