Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Name your business that you started with a low start-up

szyyyy

Post Fri, May 11 2012, 1:26 am
I need ideas please!!!!!!! Sad
Name your small business that you started with a low start-up fee?

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, May 11 2012, 1:39 am
Catering was born out of a 20 kg bag of flour, 1 lb of yeast, and random other challah ingredients when I started baking chala for friends.

chocolate chips

Post Fri, May 11 2012, 9:24 am
What type of business are you interested in?
artistic (flowers, cards)?
food (special cookies, decorative cakes, catering)?
photography (portraits, scenery)?

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Fri, May 11 2012, 9:39 am
I started my online businesses with a domain name and web hosting, each of which cost about $10. (More details on my site http://onlinegelt.com )

crl

Post Fri, May 11 2012, 10:10 am
Graphic design, started with an old laptop I got for my 8th grade graduation present and lots of online tutorials. Smile Started getting jobs when I was 16, and it snowballed from there -- now I have a full-time job as well as a lot of freelance inquiries which I sometimes outsource due to lack of time.

Throughout 8 years, I've invested (personally) less that $2500 and most of that was for a new Macbook when my old one died.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, May 11 2012, 1:41 pm
My space planning and design business is built on my love of architecture, interior design, ergonomics and flow, and kitchen design -- really it's a passion that's become a side business. I already needed a good computer for graphics work and teaching (I do freelance print graphics and teach computer graphics at Maalot Baltimore) so my main investments have been in software, myriad measuring devices, books, research, and time over many years... maybe three thousand dollars and several thousand hours.

I was already spending much of my free time doing things related to design and space planning when my DH suggested I turn my passion into a business. Do you have a hobby, an area of expertise, or a skill that could potentially become a business?

TwinsMommy

Post Fri, May 11 2012, 5:35 pm
I'm in direct sales and network marketing. Technically I'm with 3 businesses (focusing on one). One costs $100 to start and has made me hundreds of thousands. One costs $295 to start and has made me thousands, and one costs $195 to start and I just started last month and haven't yet profited at all (but plan to). If you want to hear about these, send me a message directly and we'll set up a phone chat. For all three I recruit all over the country.

groisamomma

Post Sat, May 12 2012, 10:27 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
I'm in direct sales and network marketing. Technically I'm with 3 businesses (focusing on one). One costs $100 to start and has made me hundreds of thousands. One costs $295 to start and has made me thousands, and one costs $195 to start and I just started last month and haven't yet profited at all (but plan to). If you want to hear about these, send me a message directly and we'll set up a phone chat. For all three I recruit all over the country.

What do the words "direct sales and network marketing" mean? These are fancy terms and I always wonder what job these people actually do. Very Happy

TwinsMommy

Post Sat, May 12 2012, 11:33 pm
oops sorry, I spend so much time in my direct sales bubble that I tend to forget that people outside my olam don't necessarily know what it means.

Direct sales is product centered----- think Tupperware, Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, anything where you're in your home or your client's home selling product one on one or in small or large groups. The majority of your income comes from commissions you make based on the team you recruit to work with you in the business-- you also get a profit from sales, plus bonuses, free cars, prizes, etc.

Network marketing, sometimes, is less product centered and more recruiting oriented--- in some cases you get paid to recruit people who get paid to recruit people who get paid to recruit people------ yes, there IS a product but in some cases the product is less of the point than the team building.

I'm sort of in both fields at the moment. The money per hour spent is ridiculously astounding, but yes, there is a learning curve. But I've been in direct sales for 12 years now.

wereafamily

Post Sat, May 12 2012, 11:59 pm
crl wrote:
Graphic design, started with an old laptop I got for my 8th grade graduation present and lots of online tutorials. Smile Started getting jobs when I was 16, and it snowballed from there -- now I have a full-time job as well as a lot of freelance inquiries which I sometimes outsource due to lack of time.

Throughout 8 years, I've invested (personally) less that $2500 and most of that was for a new Macbook when my old one died.

How do you get freelance jobs?

crl

Post Sun, May 13 2012, 12:28 am
Wereafamily: Mostly word of mouth and I started out doing jobs for friends either very cheaply or free. I also did a lot of pro bono work for the youth group I worked for, because they needed quality designs and just by being in the communities and putting my contact information on my designs helped. I also interned at a place that did design for both internal and external projects -- and the clients liked my style and hired me even after I left.

I also sometimes scour craigslist or design sites like behance, coroflot, etc. but I never feel like "competing" for jobs, if that makes sense, since I have a full time one anyway.

blue eyes

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 11:26 am
I like this thread.
keep them coming!!

bigprincess

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 12:34 pm
wereafamily wrote:
crl wrote:

How do you get freelance jobs?

I do graphic design too. I get freelance work from sending my portfolio. People like to see what you have done in the past.

seeker

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 1:13 pm
Not terribly original, but tutoring (if it's your type of thing) has almost zero startup. Of course, the hours are rather limited... but in the right neighborhoods you can fetch a nice fee.

amother

Post Mon, May 14 2012, 2:00 pm
I started out as with a blog and then turned it into a website
it takes lot of time but at some point hopefully I will make money. Only cost was the website name. ($10) everything else I did on my own.
hatzlacha

(edited by mod. Please refrain from unpaid advertising.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics