Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Hosting sem. girls - what should I serve?
1  2  Next

gila-rina

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 11:56 pm
I'm having 2-3 Sem. girls for the two Shabbos seudos. What do teenage girls eat? Hoping either mothers of teenagers or experienced Sem. hosts could help me out. TIA Smile

Hashemlovesme

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 12:15 am
salads, kugels (sweet potato is usually a big hit), maybe shnitsel.....some girls are picky or shy & others will eat whatever. No need to feel so pressured.

milchigs

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 12:19 am
Maybe I'm wrong, but if you usually serve buffet-style, perhaps consider giving individual portions for these meals (except for a nice salad, which girls usually enjoy serving themselves as they please). I'm under the impression that seminary girls may be a bit more reserved and shy to keep dishing out their own food and ask for things to be passed to them. Again, I may be totally wrong, but just wanted to point that out.

amother

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 12:40 am
I think the key is to have a good protein, starch, veggie, and salad... whatever each is.

Sem girls otherwise tend to eat one thing (if that) in a meal.. like... eggs... or whatever. Theyll be thrilled with the choices of a well rounded meals. Dont buy the whole "sem girls dont eat" stuff.. even if they try not to, a home-cooked meal would be sooo appreciated by them. Id do:

Fri night:
chicken noodle soup chok full of veggies
Pot roast with root veggies and red wine sauce
Roasted rosemary potatoes
Sauteed asparagus and tomatos
a big dinner salad
Fruit and tea

Shabbos Day:
salmon on a simple bed of lettuce w rice vinegar and soy sauce
whole chicken stuffed with wild rice and garlic
A summery pasta salad
stuffed mushroom caps
ceasars salad (a big hit!)
corn on cob
fruit and maybe brownies from a mix

mommyofnineka

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 12:42 am
I've found that they love homemade challah, apple-cranberry kugel and chocolate chip cookies. The ones I host appreciate baking with whole wheat flour. I usually make what I would make for my family.

Hashemlovesme

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 12:47 am
though girls might be reserved about taking food, I've been at a few meals where the host served me a plate & I was very uncomfortable with that for a # of reasons. Just make sure the food gets passed around well.

shabri

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 2:30 am
I host sem girls and yeshiva bochrim (alternate) on a weekly basis. The sem girls eat....the same as the yeshiva bochrim (although generally more). I might make an extra salad or 2 if there are girls but they eat the same kugels (they love apple cranberry), shnitzel, deli, and dessert that the guys like. They might, depending on who they are leave a little extra cholent compared to the guys but everything else they eat the same.

My husband maintains that the girls eat as much as the guys as long as there are no guys around!

If they are sleeping over have lots of candy and baked good around. I find the sem girls get the munchies

gila-rina

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 10:05 am
Thank you everyone.
amother, whats the recipe for ceasars salad ?
Also, apple cranbery kugel.
shabri, Very Happy

elf123

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 10:12 am
amother wrote:
I think the key is to have a good protein, starch, veggie, and salad... whatever each is.

Sem girls otherwise tend to eat one thing (if that) in a meal.. like... eggs... or whatever. Theyll be thrilled with the choices of a well rounded meals. Dont buy the whole "sem girls dont eat" stuff.. even if they try not to, a home-cooked meal would be sooo appreciated by them. Id do:

Fri night:
chicken noodle soup chok full of veggies
Pot roast with root veggies and red wine sauce
Roasted rosemary potatoes
Sauteed asparagus and tomatos
a big dinner salad
Fruit and tea

Shabbos Day:
salmon on a simple bed of lettuce w rice vinegar and soy sauce
whole chicken stuffed with wild rice and garlic
A summery pasta salad
stuffed mushroom caps
ceasars salad (a big hit!)
corn on cob
fruit and maybe brownies from a mix

For the love of Imamother, why in the world is this anonymous? Please, just give me a reason so I can understand....

syrima

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 10:25 am
salad, salad, and more salad!

crl

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 10:48 am
Also, loads of good challah and dips -- my friend and I spent Shabbos together and literally every meal was challah and spreads/dips/salads. Theres a reason there is a stereotype about sam girls getting fat -- it's the bread! Smile

shabri

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 12:41 pm
(as I make it for my 8 sem guests)

7 apples or so. Peeled and diced
1 can whole berry cranberry sauce

Mixed together put in the bottom of a pan

Crumb topping

1 c oatmeal
1 c flour
3/4 c brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Canola oil (I pour in a little until I get a crumb consistency. It really calls fr margarine but idon't use)
Sprinkle crumbs on top of apple mixture

Bake 45 min

sunny90

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 12:47 pm
Apple cranberry kugel

1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 cup flour
1 cup oats
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 stick margarine, melted (I melt it in the pan I'm using, while the oven is preheating) or 1/2 c. oil
Mix together. Put half of mixture in round cake pan or 8x8 and pat down.
2 granny smith apples, peeled and sliced thin
1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
Mix together and put on top of oat mixture. Sprinkle remaining oat mixture on top. Bake at 375 for 45 -50 minutes.

db815

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 1:29 pm
I remember when I was in sem about 3 years ago I LOVED the fruit kugels- like the apple cranberry, pear crisp, sweet potato pie- we all devoured those. And I agree with the whole wheat challah and the salads- that was always a huge hit. and also things that reminded me of home- yummy hot chicken soup. Its all delish and greatly appreicated when your used to eating cereal and milk for supper every night in the dorm. So dont be too worried, whatever you make will be great:)

AlwaysThinking

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 1:32 pm
Lots of salads with good dressings. Some girls will go for apple-cranberry kugel etc., but not all. Yeah, and make sure the food is passed round well. It can get very awkward especially when all the food is near the husband/boys. And tell the girls if you want them to help clear up. Sometimes the husband and wife would be in the kitchen and we wouldn't feel comfortable getting up and helping and then we'd feel really impolite...

(I was a sem girl last year).

rb10d

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 2:03 pm
I think that at this point of the year you don't have to worry that much about them being shy- they are pros at this by now! Enjoy your guests!

Inspired

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 2:11 pm
IME girls love challah.

lamplighter

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 2:59 pm
I'm sure you are a wonderful cook but girls can be picky or not like the food being served. The most important food is challah and dips because regardless of whatever else they may or may not eat, they can always just fill up on that. And don't take it personally if they do.
My other suggestion is to make very classic things and or leaning in the direction of sweet. Different vinegars and spice mixes are usually not appealing to sem girls. of course there are exceptions but I would play it safe.

Della

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 3:36 pm
I just want to say Thank You to all of you who are so concerned with feeding sem girls. My DD is there for the year, and wonderful caring mothers like you make being far away a little better.

gila-rina

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 4:17 pm
Thank you so much for recipes and ideas.
So far I think Friday its going to be:
gefilte fish and 2-3 salads
soup with matza balls
some sort of chicken cutlet dish with small roasted potatoes and apple/cran. kugel
something baked for desert
Now, for the dips I'm having babaganush and tehina. Which other dips should I get?

Shabos day:
liver, deviled eggs, cold cuts, 2-3 salads, dips
cholent, meat knishes- maybe
ice cream and fruit

What am I missing? What you would do differently?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen