Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
How much to pay babysitter?
1  2  Next

yersp

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 2:14 pm
I'm going to take the big step and get a babysitter for my 2 kids. I've always taken the kids either to family or neighbors. Now because of a family simcha I have to take someone in my house. How much do I pay her? The babysitter is a girl of about 15/16. I'm hearing different things. Someone says that since she's a teenager and does'nt have to support herself, she doesnt need more than $5 an hour, 6 if I really want to be nice and others have said that if I want her to come back again I need to pay her 8-10 dollars an hour. I'm confused. A little help please!! Thanks!!!
I'm nervous enough having someone here!!!!

ny21

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 2:21 pm
my twins get 10 bucks an hour .

they did not ask for this amount

but thats what they were offered.

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 2:22 pm
It's probably something more like 8$ an hour for a 16 year old.
The rate has gone up since we used to babysit Smile

queen

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 2:44 pm
shock $8-10/hour!!!
oh my goodness.
Kids today are spoiled!!!
I used to babysit as a mitzva, and always refused to accept payment. (that's what I was brought up to do.

(people used to end up buying me a gift chanukah time or other times in order not to feel as if they were taking advantage)

anyhow.... I pay $5/hour. however baby is usually sleeping by the time we leave. and our babysitter is a 9th grader

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 2:50 pm
Yea, I think it depends how old the babysitter is.

yersp

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 3:21 pm
ok, thanks everyone!

bandcm

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 3:39 pm
I always paid 6-7 dollars an hour, for a tenth grader. That´s what they asked for!

cindy324

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 4:23 pm
My babysitter is 17 and I pay her $7/hr. That's what all the girls her age ask around here, so that's what I give.

newmom

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 4:58 pm
It really depends on the neighborhood. Most areas have different rates, sometimes depending on supply/demand.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 5:24 pm
I have found that when I pay well I can count on her coming the next time I need her. When I paid less I had a hard time getting them to come. Since I've upped the fee I B''h have a sitter almost anytime I want!

There's one family I got to know, the mother doesn't allow them to take more than $6 an hour, and they come even at $6 an hour. If they are available they come. How absolutely nice of them! This is true chesed!

This is in B.P. Don't know the 'average' rate here.

Squash

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 6:10 pm
amother, I'd love to get to know that family who comes for $6. Very Happy

I used to babysit for 3.50 (I'm not that old - 26). I felt so guilty when I upped the price to 4. I know, sucker! LOL The kids today are real business women!

queen

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 7:19 pm
amother wrote:
There's one family I got to know, the mother doesn't allow them to take more than $6 an hour, and they come even at $6 an hour. If they are available they come. How absolutely nice of them! This is true chesed!

Don't mean to disagree, but I don't call that Chesed. Chesed would be coming over to help you and not accepting money.
$6/hour is still a lot of money for a kid who has no bills to pay. But then again- maybe I'm from the olden days Smile

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 7:25 pm
Code:
I used to babysit as a mitzva, and always refused to accept payment. (that's what I was brought up to do.

Why should everyone babysit as a chesed? Kids also need ways to earn money, if they are capable of going out and earning money, they should. Ever heard of saving for college/seminary? Yup, a lot of us had to do that! Many of us also had to pay for clothing and other extras.

Babysitting is hard work, you couldn't pay me enough to watch somebody else's kids. Unless your kid is a sleeping little angel, you have cable TV, great snacks, internet access, etc., you're gonna have a hard time finding someone that's going to watch your kids for free (unless, of course, you really can't afford it). But I didn't think we were discussing poor pple that can't afford a sitter, I thought we were talking about people with means that need to find out the going rates of a sitter.

Re: how much to pay - ask! If someone wants me to do freelance work for them, they don't decide what my salary is, they ask, and I tell them what I charge.

Last edited by DefyGravity on Mon, Dec 18 2006, 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

queen

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 7:27 pm
Not everyone has to babysit as a chesed. But in today's society that is totally unheard of. NO ONE would babysit for free.

I'd think just from a point of chinuch and bringing up your kids- for certain people, or on occasion, they should help out without needing to get back something in exchange.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 7:34 pm
They did a difficult job and they deserve to be paid. Babysitting is a hard job - I honestly wouldn't do it if you paid me - so it's not crazy to wonder why someone would be paid for a hard service they performed.

realeez

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 7:47 pm
Last year, I had a Grade 12 student babysit for me all the time and I paid her $6/hr which she said was more than e/o else paid her. Also, I would round the $ up so she would end up with a few dollars more usually. Now that she has gone to EY for sem I miss her so much Sad

amother

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 8:09 pm
If you want the no. of the girls who come for $6 an hour email me at ikoloko@yahoo.com. Oh, and btw, she was not gonna take any money at all but I insisted that I pay her. I could afford it, and there's no reason not to pay her for her time. When I insisted, she said ok, but not more than $6.

I also have a girl who comes as a chesed, part of the school's chesed program. She comes around 5-6 o'clock once a week.
I have a neighbor who has offered me that if I ever need to go out important, her dd can babysit for me. As a chesed.

Can't wait for kids to be just a bit older and then no more sitters!!!!!!!

amother

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 8:22 pm
I have girls who come as chesed for my special needs child- to help with his therapies. But as far as my going out of course I pay. Defy Gravity, you are absolutly right. My dd is saving $ for when she goes to sem. She can get a scholarship, but spending $ is limited around here. She does chesed & actualy goes to other special needs kids,Right now she is out baking chanukah cookies with the Yachad group. If s/o needs a favor sureshe'll do it, but if you are going out to simchah or s/o what's the chesed?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 8:36 pm
here in Brooklyn, it depends who and where.
My neighbor takes $6-7, but I heard kids take $8 or so already!

Esther23

Post Mon, Dec 18 2006, 9:10 pm
I'm from BP, I pay $7 an hour for a high school girl. Most girls that I had don't give a price, I asked around and pple said 7 is norm and the girls were happy with that. My kids are still little so I always put them to sleep before I leave. if you're leaving kids up maybe you should give more. but when your kids are sleeping and they usually do not wake up at night, I think $7 is enough.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics