Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Is it appropriate to hang your wedding picture in the LR/DR?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 11:48 am
I have one hanging in my bedroom already, but I'd like to hang another in my DR/LR. Is it appropriate? Where is yours hanging. Thanks.

busydev

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 11:51 am
Mine is in my DR.

As long as its a "kosher" picture then I think its fine. We are not touching in the pic I have up, just standing close together.

OOTforlife

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 11:52 am
I think it's fine. Are there communities where this is not done? It might be a problem in some communities if the couple wasn't frum at the time of the wedding, like if the dress is really too revealing or there's a shrimp cocktail lurking in the background. But I don't see a problem otherwise.

smss

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 11:57 am
I think it depends what the picture is...if it's just the two of you standing next to each other smiling at the camera I think it's fine. If it's one of those looking into each other's eyes (or for sure if it's a touching one) then I don't think it belongs in a public room.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 11:58 am
I love seeing people's wedding pictures in their living rooms / dinning rooms. When many years have passed and you see young married couple, its great.
We have one (and we are touching, but nothing intimate) in our dinning room.

Tablepoetry

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 12:02 pm
If you read decor boards, you will discover that many people think it's inappropriate just because it's not 'classy', nothing to do with frum. Apparently it's 'classier' to group your photos in frames on a small table or dresser, rather than have a huge glossy photo of you and hubby staring at your guests. Or to hang them (small pictures) in a staircase or hallway.

That said, I'm a fan of decorate as you see fit, express yourself. I wouldn't do it personally (NOT for frum reasons), but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. If we all had the same style LR/DR how boring life would be.

amother

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 12:10 pm
I think It's Ok, Unless you're trying to hide the fact that you got married... Rolling Eyes

Hashemlovesme

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 1:31 pm
I feel that years later your wedding day is special & private btwn you & dh. There's nothing wrong w/ hanging 1 in public, but I just feel that it's private. I have a small family pic by my Shabbos candles, but that's just my personal thing.

myself

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 2:50 pm
It really depends on the community you live in and the crowd you associate with. Some do and some don't, there's no hard and fast rule!

Factory Girl

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 2:59 pm
well
mine is on the dinning room/living room, and its a picture of me sitting on the floor and my husband sort of laying down on my lap. I find it kosher enough to hang out in the public.

I have other pictures of us that I would feel more comfortable hanging only in our bedroom (like one of me kissing my husband on the cheek).

but it really is up to how comfortable you feel.

Inspired

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 3:27 pm
No definitely not. People shouldn't ever know you're married.

hop613

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 3:35 pm
We have a big one in the living room, of us standing close together. It is more to the side of the room, because I felt weird having a huge picture of me and DH right in the middle of the wall. I think there may be a smaller one where we are touching in the DR. Anything else is in the bedroom.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 3:35 pm
I love seeing people's wedding pictures hung up. my kids love seeing our wedding picture hung up - I hang it in my dining room above my shabbat candles

Fox

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 3:55 pm
After a certain age, wedding photos as part of the decor are more likely to lead to guffaws about the hairstyles and eyeglass frames of a previous era than they are to lead to expressions of, "Awww, you made such a darling chosson and kallah."

I got married in 1985, and it's amazing the photographer was able to fit all that hair into the frame! My friends and I were virtually knocking each other over with our big 80's hair. Time is particularly cruel to eyeglasses (yes, Sequoia, I did steal that line from David Sedaris, thank you very much!). My DH's glasses look like you could land fighter jets on the lenses.

So display your wedding photo just until your children are old enough to start clutching their sides as they laugh!

mommyhood

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 5:04 pm
I have a small 5x7 wedding photo on a shelf in my LR, I have a larger wedding photo in my bedroom. I'm just not so comfortable having large pictures of just me and dh in the LR for everyone to stare at. I would be fine with a family picture that includes me in it, just not one where I'm the main attraction.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 5:40 pm
mommyhood wrote:
I have a small 5x7 wedding photo on a shelf in my LR, I have a larger wedding photo in my bedroom. I'm just not so comfortable having large pictures of just me and dh in the LR for everyone to stare at. I would be fine with a family picture that includes me in it, just not one where I'm the main attraction.

This is how I feel, too. I don't really like the idea of hanging a huge picture of ME in an area that guests frequent. I have a 4x6 from my wedding on an end table in my LR. And I have a bunch of other small pictures of me and my dh and kids in the LR and at the far end of my DR. I do have bigger pictures of my ds in the LR. And the main wall space, where people tend to look while seated at the table or on the couches, is occupied by paintings of Jewish scenes. That's my style Smile

ewa-jo

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 7:32 pm
Fox wrote:
After a certain age, wedding photos as part of the decor are more likely to lead to guffaws about the hairstyles and eyeglass frames of a previous era than they are to lead to expressions of, "Awww, you made such a darling chosson and kallah."

I got married in 1985, and it's amazing the photographer was able to fit all that hair into the frame! My friends and I were virtually knocking each other over with our big 80's hair. Time is particularly cruel to eyeglasses (yes, Sequoia, I did steal that line from David Sedaris, thank you very much!). My DH's glasses look like you could land fighter jets on the lenses.

So display your wedding photo just until your children are old enough to start clutching their sides as they laugh!

Also, if you weigh significantly more than you did at the time of you wedding, expect comments!

I was once at a friend's house and a small-ish framed portrait on her bookcase caught my eye. I really couldn't help thinking 'Wow, she was soooo much thinner back then'

sequoia

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 7:35 pm
*sigh*

So if I've gained weight, no one should ever see any of my photos.

It's not like all the people in my life just met me!

dee's mommy

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 8:18 pm
To me, it is more of a clutter issue. I don't like having so many pictures out, because it looks too cluttered. At first, I did have our picture in the dining room. Then, as time went on, and other significant photos came up, (family portraits, school portraits) I kept the recent ones out, and the wedding picture moved to our bedroom. I like it there. I suppose I will probably make a hallway into some sort of "photo gallery," as even my living room is getting to cluttered with pictures even for my taste.

The wedding picture is an 8X10, and was taken by one of our guests. I loved it better than any of the professional photos. It just so happens that my inlaws keep their copy in their dining room, and my parents keep this in their family room, and another wedding picture they chose in their dining room.

chocolate chips

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 8:21 pm
I would and I would also put pictures of dh and I (and kids).
As long as it is nothing too intimate since such pictures are not accepted in my community, they know I am a couple so what do pictures make a difference.
In my bedroom I have some more "closer" pictures of dh and I and people who come to my room see that but those that come to my room are those who I do not care seeing it (close friends and family)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics