Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Is it appropriate to hang your wedding picture in the LR/DR?
Previous  1  2

celestial

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 9:32 pm
I assume you had people at your wedding like parents, siblings, close family friends, personal friends etc that still know you? So why on earth would your wedding day be something "private" just because years have passed? Sorry, I don't understand this one.

Isramom8

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 10:17 pm
By her choice, my daughter has her great grandparents' large wedding photo hanging in her bedroom!

bluebird

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 10:30 pm
Fox, that really made me laugh!

I see no problem with having a wedding photo in the more public parts of your home, at all. Well, I guess maybe if you got married in a bikini it would be inappropriate, but the vast majority of photos are perfectly fine!

There was a thread about uncovered hair in wedding photos a wild back, but most people thought that was over the top. But, if you're in a community that thinks like that then having such a picture would be inappropriate.

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....94802

ewa-jo

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 11:11 pm
sequoia wrote:
*sigh*

So if I've gained weight, no one should ever see any of my photos.

It's not like all the people in my life just met me!

I said nothing of the sort...lol. Maybe it's your DH that got fluffier.

I would say the same thing about a natural brunette who is now sporting a blonder-than-blond sheitel... people will notice.

I don't think anyone expects a middle-aged lady with 8 kids to look exactly like a 21-year-old kallah, but I think it's a natural tendency to compare.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 12:02 am
Hashemlovesme wrote:
I feel that years later your wedding day is special & private btwn you & dh. There's nothing wrong w/ hanging 1 in public, but I just feel that it's private. I have a small family pic by my Shabbos candles, but that's just my personal thing.
How is a wedding a private affair? There are many people at the simcha. I dont get this. Can you explain what you mean by private?

Roots

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 12:30 am
as long as its "kosher", ur not touching, or looking at each other in a special way...
if ur standing near each other, than definately, its a beutiful thing to have up. Mine is in my living room too and everyone that comes for shabbos or whatever looks and remembers our wedding or asks us.. its a conversation starter thats for sure Smile

suzyq

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 6:33 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Hashemlovesme wrote:
I feel that years later your wedding day is special & private btwn you & dh. There's nothing wrong w/ hanging 1 in public, but I just feel that it's private. I have a small family pic by my Shabbos candles, but that's just my personal thing.
How is a wedding a private affair? There are many people at the simcha. I dont get this. Can you explain what you mean by private?

Same thoughts here. I always thought a wedding was specifically about publicly declaring your intention to spend the rest of your life with your spouse. Unless you have since not told anyone it happened, I can't imagine how it is private.

RutiS wrote:
as long as its "kosher", ur not touching, or looking at each other in a special way...

I also don't understand how a married couple, at their own wedding, looking at each other in any way or even touching could be considered not kosher. Maybe I live in another world, but are their circles where the couple doesn't hold hands when leaving the chuppah?

Merrymom

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 6:46 am
I think it boils down to if you're the type of couple that hides your pregnancies from your children, the type who holds hands in public, or the type of couple that shares affection in front of your children but never in front of anyone else. The first type hardly want their children to know that they're anything more than roomates so obviously they'd never put something like that on the wall, forget about what guests think. The second think a married couple are entitled to show their affection whenever, wherever but above all, in their own home. The last type might give each other googly eyes at home in front of the kids but would never want anyone else to see that. Such a couple would probably put their picture up in their bedroom but never the living room.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 7:00 am
Isramom8 wrote:
By her choice, my daughter has her great grandparents' large wedding photo hanging in her bedroom!

ok, I know photos can't really see (except in Harry potter) but that would freak me out.

we only have a small pic because all the professional ones were a disaster. My parents have wedding pictures of all us up in their hallway.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 7:14 am
suzyq wrote:

Maybe I live in another world, but are their circles where the couple doesn't hold hands when leaving the chuppah?

Absolutely!

Fabulous

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 7:43 am
amother wrote:
suzyq wrote:

Maybe I live in another world, but are their circles where the couple doesn't hold hands when leaving the chuppah?

Absolutely!

I have a friend who's husband's minhag was specifically not to hold hands after chuppah. I think it was about not embarrassing a possible kallah nidda that no one held hands. Except after their chuppah, I guess people were saying hold hands or something and they felt pressured and they did.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 7:55 am
We have a couple pic hanging on top of our couch-it from a sister in laws wedding though. I am not fond of how I looked at my wedding.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 8:05 am
I have no problem with it - we say to a chatan and kallah - may you build a bayit neeman b'yisrael - and the whole circling at the chuppah is building walls and security for your new lifestyle and family to be living in - My wedding day was when my bayit was built - so I am very happy to have a large photograph of it hanging on my wall to remind me of that very special day where all that goes on in my home began.

bigsis144

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 8:25 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
mommyhood wrote:
I have a small 5x7 wedding photo on a shelf in my LR, I have a larger wedding photo in my bedroom. I'm just not so comfortable having large pictures of just me and dh in the LR for everyone to stare at. I would be fine with a family picture that includes me in it, just not one where I'm the main attraction.

This is how I feel, too. I don't really like the idea of hanging a huge picture of ME in an area that guests frequent. I have a 4x6 from my wedding on an end table in my LR. And I have a bunch of other small pictures of me and my dh and kids in the LR and at the far end of my DR. I do have bigger pictures of my ds in the LR. And the main wall space, where people tend to look while seated at the table or on the couches, is occupied by paintings of Jewish scenes. That's my style Smile

^^ This.

Also, I feel mean saying this, but DH hates being photographed and always comes out REALLY awkward-looking in posed pictures, so there are very few pictures of him that don't make me feel a tad embarrassed of his posture, facial expression, etc. and would be worth hanging as large portrait-style photos, whether in a public area of the house or our bedroom. (In real life, I find him INCREDIBLY HANDSOME, though!! Very Happy ) I have a few nice informal, candid pictures of him with me and/or DS, but they're not professional or high-resolution enough to blow up, so those are in small frames and photo albums.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 07 2012, 1:58 am
ewa-jo wrote:
sequoia wrote:
*sigh*

So if I've gained weight, no one should ever see any of my photos.

It's not like all the people in my life just met me!

I said nothing of the sort...lol. Maybe it's your DH that got fluffier.

I would say the same thing about a natural brunette who is now sporting a blonder-than-blond sheitel... people will notice.

I don't think anyone expects a middle-aged lady with 8 kids to look exactly like a 21-year-old kallah, but I think it's a natural tendency to compare.

My mother was at her parents house with a friend, my grandparents have wedding pics of all their children hanging over the dining room table. This friend pointed to my parents pic and asked: who is that standing next to Ben? (my father). My mother lost a lot of weight after her wedding, so some changes are for the good.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics