Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
What do you all think about these places?
1  2  3  Next

Tweedy

Post Sun, Jun 03 2012, 5:06 am
So here is our latest list:

RBS
RAMOT
REHOVOT
PETACH TIKVA
ELAD

we had to delete a few places due to affordability and schooling concerns.

Those 5 seem to meet most of our criterias.

Please if you live in any of those place or know anything about them let me know Smile

Ramot we found on NBN and would like to know more about it as I ve never been there.

I think we will spend a shabbos in RBS and one in RAMOT and visit the other 3 during the week. NBN had some contacts so let's see how we go Smile

Thanks for all your help

Zus

Post Sun, Jun 03 2012, 5:40 am
I've lived in Ramot for years. That is, if you mean the neighborhood in Jerusalem. There is also a yishuv called Ramot up north.
What exactly would you like to know?

Roots

Post Sun, Jun 03 2012, 2:19 pm
first you should know that
ramot and elad are more of a closed- charedi place
petach tikva and rechovot have a nice charedi community and a nice chiloni community who live very close - its more of a mix.
I can explain it by comparing to NY, ramot and elad more of a boro park place (basically closed to jews)
while rechovot and petach tikvah like queens, new york (a jewish community with non jews around)

I lived in ramot alef (jerusalem) the first 6 months after I got married, I loved it. there are many many young families, a great place for children, nice litvishe, and sfardi communities, many english speakers, good stores (zol u begadol, yesh..) the bus service is pretty good, you have busses 71,72,64,36 (was 40), 31, 32 and by the bridge in the entrance there is a mall and a bus stop with busses to kiryat sefer, bnei brak, modiin, elad, and much more. there are kollels, and many shuls, schools, great mikva'ot. its in jerusalem so it might be kinda expensive, but if u look well you might find a metzi'a

rechovot- it has a very nice cherdi community (some 100s of families). there is a big yeshiva (meor hatalmud) which adds a lot to the area, there are chederim and 3 yeshivot ktanot, this is all along three neighborhoods which is the charedi section , so if ur buying there watch that ur buying in the right area, like I mentioned before its a big chiloni city as well.

elad- a new growing city, very nice, many young families also, shuls, schools, im not sure @ the american population there though, I was there few times and really like the place

(btw, have you thought of kiryat sefer? it sounds like u might like that too)

Zus

Post Sun, Jun 03 2012, 2:24 pm
Going in between.

RutiS wrote:
first you should know that
ramot and elad are more of a closed- charedi place

Huh? Ramot is mixed! Ramot bet is mixed with a bit of everything, the more up you go in Ramot, the more charedi it gets.

petach tikva and rechovot have a nice charedi community and a nice chiloni community who live very close - its more of a mix.
I can explain it by comparing to NY, ramot and elad more of a boro park place (basically closed to jews)
while rechovot and petach tikvah like queens, new york (a jewish community with non jews around)

I lived in ramot alef (jerusalem) the first 6 months after I got married, I loved it. there are many many young families, a great place for children, nice litvishe, and sfardi communities, many english speakers, good stores (zol u begadol, yesh..)

Not to forget the new mall! It has everything.

the bus service is pretty good, you have busses 71,72,64,36 (was 40), 31, 32 and by the bridge in the entrance there is a mall and a bus stop with busses to kiryat sefer, bnei brak, modiin, elad, and much more. there are kollels, and many shuls, schools, great mikva'ot. its in jerusalem so it might be kinda expensive, but if u look well you might find a metzi'a

rechovot- it has a very nice cherdi community (some 100s of families). there is a big yeshiva (meor hatalmud) which adds a lot to the area, there are chederim and 3 yeshivot ktanot, this is all along three neighborhoods which is the charedi section , so if ur buying there watch that ur buying in the right area, like I mentioned before its a big chiloni city as well.

elad- a new growing city, very nice, many young families also, shuls, schools, im not sure @ the american population there though, I was there few times and really like the place

(btw, have you thought of kiryat sefer? it sounds like u might like that too)

amother

Post Sun, Jun 03 2012, 3:14 pm
I live in Rechovot. It is not a charedi neighborhood with secular around, it is all mixed except for two small streets. The community is expanding and lots of streets which used to be secular are now mixed and this joins the three areas. Everyone is very friendly and Rechovot is famous for not having the usual divisions among frum, but everyone gets along. There are not so many young Anglo charedi families, the Anglos are usually older and/or secular. There are a lot of young Israeli families and a few Anglo ones.

The Anglos mostly go to two shuls chatam (they have a website) which is mostly charedi, but there are some DL. The other is Bermans which is mostly DL.

Schools: for girls - BY elementary which is very good, BY High School; all the charedi girls go there except chassidim. Noam - strong DL. Mamad schools.
For boys: Cheder Habe'er (very charedi, teaches Zichru method), Etz Chaim (run by Rav Stein, the rav of Chatam), 2 sephardi talmudei Torah, noam boys, Mamad schools.
3 yeshiva ketanas and some boys go out of town too to yerushalayim or bnei Brak.

Stores: Bar Kol, soon a Yesh, you can buy anything here. For clothes, sometimes you need BB.

There are buses from the charedi area to BB all the time and early morning and in the evening to Yerushalayim. There are buses from the central bus station to all over Israel. And a train station but that is far from the charedi area.

There is a charedi matnas which has cheap chugim and events for the children and adults.

There are a few mehadrin pizza and felafel places.

Tweedy

Post Sun, Jun 03 2012, 7:14 pm
Thanks so much for your replies.

Ramot Seems to be our favorite so far. We Love the idea of being just outside yerushalayim. From the nbn Website the affirdibility Seems to be similar to Rbs.
Which part if it would you suggest?

We also like telstone from the sound of it but the schooling doesn't seem to be advanced. Like there is no school past year 8 or so.

Could you tell me a bit more about the schooling/education in ramot? We would like our kids to have the final school year, a bagrut? So they have a chance to study if do they wish. We d love for the kids to have a top level of limudei kodesh but do not agree with not having a good standard of limudei chol. If u know what I mean?

Really appreciate all your help Smile

fiddle

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 12:42 am
Aside for a pedophile problem in rbs there is a major problem with robberies. And nothing is being done about it or the pedophile problem.

Zus

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 1:47 am
Ramot isn't just outside Jerusalem, it's part of it.
There are many schools, some very goid ones as well. There are BY and talmudei tora, strong DL Noam for boys and for girls, regular mamad schools. There is Or Torah highschool for boys and for girls which have an excellent name. There are more, but I'm not familiar with them.

Zus

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 1:48 am
And yes, they do bagrut in Or Torah.

Tweedy

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 4:36 am
Zus wrote:
And yes, they do bagrut in Or Torah.

Thanks Zus,

may I ask why you left Ramot?

also which area would you suggest for us? I think there are 5 or so

what type of a community does or torah cater for?

sorry I meant to ask the other lady who sayd she lived there for 6 month, why she left Smile

Last edited by Tweedy on Mon, Jun 04 2012, 4:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Zus

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 4:41 am
We left Ramot because we were renting and we wanted to buy something, and Ramot wasn't in out price range. We practically still live in Ramot though. Our parents live there, and we go there all the time. We now live in Givat Zeev which is only a few minutes down the road.

Zus

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 4:43 am
What is your hashkafa? I'd say Ramot aleph, bet or the nicer areas of gimmel.
If you have enough money, 06 is great too.
Or Torah caters for DL.

Tweedy

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 4:45 am
ah ok thx for the reply Smile so is there anything we should know about ramot? I mean like the comments about rbs really make me want to remove it of our list Sad

RachaelLeah

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 4:47 am
Yes, please explain more about the pedophile problem in RBS. We are considering moving there.

(edited to delete reference to an amother post that was removed.
Please keep this thread on topic. If you'd like to discuss a different topic, please start your own thread.
To the amother posting innuendoes: Please do not post insinuations and names with no facts.
Feel free to pm a mod or Yael with questions. - merelyme, as mod.)

Zus

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 4:55 am
Tweedy wrote:
ah ok thx for the reply Smile so is there anything we should know about ramot? I mean like the comments about rbs really make me want to remove it of our list Sad

There are no bad stories going around about Ramot, I certainly would have heard.

Tweedy

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 5:04 am
our hashkafa is just plain frum Smile

not dl and probs not israeli hareidi either.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 9:24 am
High school kids from Telz Stone commute to Jerusalem, its not very far and no big deal. Boys may dorm depending on which yeshiva/high school they go to.

Zus

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 9:26 am
Just plain frum would probably go best with the nicer area of Ramot aleph, streets Daf Yomi and Nerot Shabat. Probably also Kadima.
Or 06 if you can afford it. Streets Reuven Shari, Atzag, Zelda and Kutscher.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 9:33 am
I live in RBS, and I am pretty offended by the comment about pedophiles in these specific communities. Obviously there are pedophiles everywhere. There was also a recent spate of incidents of someone driving around the RBS and BS areas in a van causing trouble. But I don't understand this comment about these Rabbanim.

My kids attend a school connected with one of them, and unfortunately there was a staff member suspected of inappropriate touching (nothing worse, B"H, but that is pretty bad in itself). I was extremely impressed with how the school dealt with it. First of all, they reported it to the authorities and the guy was arrested. Next they brought in a psychologist who specialized in molestation and s*xual abuse to have sessions/ workshops with the parents AND with each class of students. Obviously I was disturbed that such a thing happened, but I was pleasantly surprised at how quick and appropriate the school's response was.

Unfortunately the burglary problem IS a huge problem. There have been TONS of break ins in the past year or so. By day when homes are empty and by night even when people are home. The burglars have cut through bars, etc. The police take reports, but it doesn't seem like anything is getting better.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 11:20 am
In terms of convenience, I don't think anything on that list can beat Petach Tikva, besides for the fact that it's not Jerusalem. It's basically in "the center" of the country, with easy access everywhere. The weather is milder than Jlm in the winter, more hot and humid in the summer.
There were plenty of Anglos in Petach Tikva in the years I grew up there (1970s-80s) and there are still many left. I don't think you will have trouble finding people to talk to.
You didn't mention what you are looking for, specifically, in terms of hashkafa, employment, housing prices etc.
As far as Elad: though whatever you have read about it may be true, there are also strong undercurrents of animosity between extremists in all types of ultra-religious groups there (think anti Sfardi, anti DL, anti this anti that) which mars Elad's name for those in the know. It's also probably a reasonably poor area, with everything that goes with it (high birth-rate, low education rate etc. in some sectors) which can ceratinly affect the quality of life there. I have also been told that a lot of undesirable types make their home there but I can't say more because I don't know first hand.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions