Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
What do you all think about these places?
Previous  1  2  3

Zus

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 5:53 am
There are 2 vacation rentals listed in Ramot. They're both in Ramot 06. You can walk to Ramot Bet from there, so it could still be an option. It's about 20-30 minutes (downhill).

Mrs.K

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 6:09 am
Tweedy, I don't mean the Ramot is dirty. I just mean that there's something to be said for city living vs. country living. And since your list included a bit of both, I was wondering if you had a preference.

I'm not saying that filth lines the street and I'm not saying anything bad about Ramot. I live in Yerushalayim and there's just a difference between living in the city. Even in the nicer areas of the city. There will still be older buildings, pollution, noise.

I don't live in Ramot and I don't want to bad mouth it so I'll speak of my area. The buildings are pretty old and broken, as are sidewalks and streets. Buildings have relatively little greenery, and if they do it's largely unkempt, usually with wayward bikes and strollers. There's a lot of garbage around even though there are street cleaners. There are just a lot of buildings sharing dumpsters so after a YT for example, garbage will be filling the bin, spilling down the side of the bin, and moving further down the street. That's how it is with heavily populated areas. There's a park in my immediate area but it's very small - 2 swings, 2 slides, 2 seesaws, not much grass. (Again, honestly, some people like this. My husband grew up in Manhattan and he just can't get used to silence and greenery)

Let's take RBS for example, which isn't exactly some boondock country road. The houses are newer, the streets aren't broken and are cleaner, the parks are large and green, and the early morning air makes you want to break out in a spontaneous rendition of Maria's opening score in The Sound Of Music.

There really are pluses and minuses to everything. Living in Yerushalayim means everything is right here. I can get a 2 AM shwarma, probably in the same store that I can get my hair cut and buy slippers . I'm in walking distance to anything and everything I could possibly need. Then again, the city traffic, especially with the new light rail, is never fun, and rent and property taxes are much higher. See? Pluses and minuses to everything.

Even in America that's just the way it is. Take Queens vs. Passaic for example. I'm not saying that we squalor in filth, and I'm not even saying that one is better then the other, but I AM saying that maybe you can narrow down your list by deciding which you'd prefer.

Last edited by Mrs.K on Thu, Jun 14 2012, 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Zus

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 6:12 am
Mrs.K wrote:

I don't live in Ramot and I don't want to bad mouth it so I'll speak of my area. The buildings are pretty old and broken, as are sidewalks and streets. Buildings have relatively little greenery, and if they do it's largely unkempt, usually with wayward bikes and strollers. There's a lot of garbage around even though there are street cleaners. There are just a lot of buildings sharing dumpsters so after a YT for example, garbage will be filling the bin, spilling down the side of the bin, and moving further down the street. That's how it is with heavily populated areas. There's a park in my immediate area but it's very small - 2 swings, 2 slides, 2 seesaws, not much grass. (Again, honestly, some people like this. My husband grew up in Manhattan and he just can't get used to silence and greenery)

This isn't true for Ramot, especially Ramot Bet.
There is a huge park/forest there, lots of green, no trash unless there is a strike, everything is well kept.

Mrs.K

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 6:19 am
Zus wrote:

This isn't true for Ramot, especially Ramot Bet.
There is a huge park/forest there, lots of green, no trash unless there is a strike, everything is well kept.

Right, that's why I can only speak for my area.

I don't go to Ramot often but I do go now and then for various meetings or to my dentist. It doesn't look much different then the rest of Yerushalayim from the bus window, but obviously someone who lives there would know much better then me.

(I actually have relatives in those egg crate houses, OY don't get me started on that.)

amother

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 6:37 am
Mrs. K, actually RBS has one of the most polluted air in the country if I remember correctly. There's a quarry there for one thing.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 6:38 am
If you self-describe as "just plain frum", Elad does not seem to be for you. I have a son learning there, and inside info.

RBS-A is described nowadays as American-frum in a positive way.

Mrs.K

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 6:59 am
amother wrote:
Mrs. K, actually RBS has one of the most polluted air in the country if I remember correctly. There's a quarry there for one thing.

Every time I'm there for shabbos, the fresh, clean air hits me the second I open the door in the morning. I guess I've gotten too used to the Yerushalayim polution, or maybe it depends on which area or street.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 8:25 am
Mrs.K wrote:
amother wrote:

Every time I'm there for shabbos, the fresh, clean air hits me the second I open the door in the morning. I guess I've gotten too used to the Yerushalayim polution, or maybe it depends on which area or street.

Unless you live right off a main street in yerushalayim, the pollution in RBS is much higher.

Mrs.K

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 8:50 am
I'm sorry, I respectfully disagree. My experience has been the absolute opposite, no comparison.

Tweedy

Post Thu, Jun 14 2012, 8:32 pm
I m not saying we are going to live in those places. We just want to visit them as that's what friends suggested. Actually ATM it's really just ramot and Rbs ( very little chance for Rbs after all the stories but still wud like to visit, got friends there)

Re the hashkofa, we don't have labels here like in israel( from what I ve seen and heard) we def are not dl if we don't have a tv , don't go to movies etc. dress completely covered, elbows hair knees etc, if dh wears a hat etc. right? But the fact that we've got Internet , dh is working and I drive Very Happy doesn't make us chareidi either,? But I also can see that the devision in Israel is quite big and u either one or the other, or sefardi or secular.

Which makes it very hard to find the right community and schools. Plus to have more green and modern and clean invitonment like what we used to!

Zus where are those places u were talking about in ramot vav? Thx

Zus

Post Fri, Jun 15 2012, 2:13 am
I posted a link to janglo with short term rentals in 06.

Tweedy

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 6:19 am
I opened the link but could not find ramot on the site Sad

Zus

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 6:26 am
If you do a search for Ramot, 2 will come up.

Zus

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 6:29 am
For Rent-summer holidays July26-August16 (Flexible)
Large house in Ramot Jerusalem, 200sq. meters, quiet area, stunning view of Jerusalem.
5 bedrooms ,suitable for family with children.
Close to Shuls, shopping center, and Kosher restaurants. (option to rent/swap also minivan 7 seats)
avital.address@gmail.com

Availble for rent on weekly/month basis: Spacious 4 bedroom fully furnished apartment + den +large patio (all on one level) in exclusive street in Ramot06.Less then 5 minutes from the shul.Fully equipped, modern kosher kitchen, central air condition. Shopping mall 5 minutes drive away by car, grocery store 5 minutes walk away.In the neighborhood JCC with swimming pool.

Tweedy

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 7:19 pm
thanks zus ill try her.

Tweedy

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 8:27 pm
we found a nice , small place for 2 weeks in ramot 3, mishpat dreifuss street, does anyone know this street? is it a good area to stay in? which shuls are nearby? thanks

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 1:23 am
Mrs.K wrote:
I'm sorry, I respectfully disagree. My experience has been the absolute opposite, no comparison.

Totally off topic but....

So interesting. I lived in RBS about 6 years ago and I also felt the difference between Yerushaliyam and RBS (feeling that RBS had clean air, but there is that humongous quarry right behind it and it is known to bring a lot of pollution there. Interesting and weird Smile

Everyone's body is effected by the air in different places in different ways.
When we lived in Modiin, I got sick that one year more than I ever did. Then we were told that Modiin is one of the most polluted cities in Israel.

Who knows Smile

Zus

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 3:15 am
Tweedy wrote:
we found a nice , small place for 2 weeks in ramot 3, mishpat dreifuss street, does anyone know this street? is it a good area to stay in? which shuls are nearby? thanks

That's in Ramot gimmel IIRC. Yes, that's a nice area.

Zus

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 3:16 am
It's not the area you're looking for because it's expensive, but it's really close to Ramot Bet. It's halfway between Bet and 06. Look at google maps.

Zus

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 3:22 am
There is a DL shul right at the bottom of Zarchi. There is a litvish shul (I think it's litvish) on Zondak, which from your location is right after Reuven Mas, on the right, in a caravan.
There is a (DL) shul on Mish'ol Hakoranit.
There are 2 on Meir Ginio (turn left -uphill- on Zarchi, then it's the 4th street on the right, all the way to the end) there are 2 DL minyanim.
There are charedi minyanim on top of Zarchi/Atzag st and also on the square of Rekanati/Idelsson/Atzag.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions