Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
The dog barks!
Previous  1  2

chani8

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 1:41 pm
Thanks gp2. I've never had a big dog before, so this is all pretty new for me. He is now around 1 yo and I would like to train him. He absolutely would not do well with negatives, as he seems sensitive. I do need help with him, though, and don't know where to turn. I am the type of person who needs a method of training, not just random stuff. So if you know of anything on youtube thats worthwhile, let me know. As it stands he's difficult to walk with on a leash. But we take him up to an enclosed basketball court and off leash, he walks with me 90%. Anyway, I don't know what goals to have, what training to do.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Jul 04 2012, 10:48 am
chani8 wrote:
Thanks gp2. I've never had a big dog before, so this is all pretty new for me. He is now around 1 yo and I would like to train him. He absolutely would not do well with negatives, as he seems sensitive. I do need help with him, though, and don't know where to turn. I am the type of person who needs a method of training, not just random stuff. So if you know of anything on youtube thats worthwhile, let me know. As it stands he's difficult to walk with on a leash. But we take him up to an enclosed basketball court and off leash, he walks with me 90%. Anyway, I don't know what goals to have, what training to do.

I forgot all about this thread. I don't really know. You can do searches on youtube or google, but there isn't that much information beyond the basics, as there aren't that many canaan dogs worldwide. The best thing would probably be to take him to a local pet shop or vet that offers training sessions. Especially as he is a dog common to the area they would be likely to have useful tips and lessons.

It is imperative to establish yourself or your DH as the alpha 'dog' of the 'pack.' He is still young so you can teach him this. Once he gets older it will be harder. He needs to respect you, because although Canaans are very smart and can easily learn how to do commands, they will choose to do them only if they respect you. Once you are established as alpha he can be an amazing trained dog. It is very stressful for dogs to be alpha dog. Not that I'm an expert, but I'd venture a guess that another reason why he barks at everything is because he feels like he's in charge and nobody else will be taking care of things except him. Once you train him to only bark at certain signals (for example, a stranger touching your car or entering your gate at night) he will be much calmer and relaxed, knowing that you're taking care of things the rest of the time.

As far as basic training goals: there are two types of training - behavior which is to discourage bad habits from developing or eliminate bad habits that have already developed, such as barking at every tiny thing, walking beside you on a leash, etc. and obedience which teaches the dog to obey commands, like sit, stay, come, down and heel.

Some basic info: http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.c......html
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets