Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
This is what my dd's Lakewood school sent out to all parents
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 12:52 pm
parents.

http://thelakewoodview.com//re.....akov/

This bothered me on so many levels but I was afraid to ask other parents on their opinions. Now that I see I am not alone I am curious what you mothers think.

anonymrs

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 12:58 pm
shock

I'm yeshivish/chareidi/BY whatever you wanna call it and I'm speechless. This was NOT my chinuch at all.

Maya

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 1:01 pm
I can't count how many times I heard this story in school.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 1:04 pm
OMG.

That is totally nuts and anti-chinuch. Maybe the shomrei emunim wrote it, but for a different generation and not for little girls. Hashem yeracheim - do those schools not have any positive ways to teach tznius??? Believe me, if they sent that out in the most right-wing, closed BY in EY there would be a storm. This is not how we teach our daughters.

Signed: a mother to whom tznius is very dear.

small bean

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 1:05 pm
I never heard this story -but what was the rest of the letter? who was the letter written to?

I don't really have a problem with the story itself. But I wouldnt want my kids reading it...

some people get inspired by these kind of stories.

Maya

shalhevet wrote:
Hashem yeracheim - do those schools not have any positive ways to teach tznius??? [/b]

In short, no.

MommyZ

shock

1Life2Live

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 1:06 pm
That's such a backwards way of teaching the beauty of a mitzvah.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 1:08 pm
I seriously want to cry and regret reading this. I cannot believe they would teach this. I would be HYSTERICAL if they dared teaching that to my kids.
Can someone reassure me the Euro BYs don't do that??

sequoia

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 1:13 pm
I read about this on livejournal this morning and was waiting to see the response on imamother.

Well.

This is the direction all BYs are headed. Mazel tov, those of you who CHOSE this derech. Clearly, anything that would have happened in an MO school would have been SO much worse that you needed to run from there -- to this!

Last edited by sequoia on Wed, Jun 06 2012, 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

MommyZ

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 1:16 pm
sequoia wrote:
I read about this on livejournal this morning and was waiting to see the response on imamother.

Well.

This is the direction all BYs are headed. Mazel tov, those of you who CHOSE this derech. Clearly, anything that would have happened in an MO would have been SO much worse that you needed to run from there -- to this!

Thumbs Up

3 little 1s

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 1:17 pm
shock shock shock

shock shock shock

I would definately complain!

Sorry, still in shock. This is not appropriate for children.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 1:18 pm
A. My teacher told us this story in HS. She was somewhat fanatical. She was European, Ruchel, sorry.

B. I have some close relatives in bnos yaakov. Oy.

C. Lakewood... Nuff said.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 1:21 pm
My DD goes to this school, this principal is an amazing mechaneches but here she made a mistake. I will give her slack as otherwise she is fantastic.

There is a back story here of a parent being very uncooperative in following school rules and I think this was her frustrated response. We all have done stupid things when we were upset.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 1:21 pm
Well, a school can be neither MO nor BY.

MaBelleVie would you mind telling me the country where she learned this?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 1:22 pm
She is also having a lot of stress in her life due to a sick family member.

I would not judge her now.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 1:23 pm
Let's see -Some guys on their horses trespassed onto this woman's property, and she alone, scared off these men. Is this the only way to tell the story so those big boys don't lose their pride from getting emasculated by one little old lady? A human woman isn't capable of conquering a man. The only explanation is either witchcraft or a message from heaven.

3 little 1s

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 1:24 pm
sequoia wrote:

Well.

This is the direction all BYs are headed. Mazel tov, those of you who CHOSE this derech. Clearly, anything that would have happened in an MO school would have been SO much worse that you needed to run from there -- to this!

Please dont turn this into a chareidi/ MO debate. All the chareidim who have responded so far (including myself) are equally shocked. I think there are individuals across the board who are extreme, and whoever decided to put this out was just that- an individual.

I dont believe for one minute that the majority of chareidi mothers or fathers want this type of chinuch for our children. And do you know what, we run our schools. This was a careless error. A bad one. But definately an error!!!!

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 1:26 pm
edit

Last edited by causemommysaid on Thu, Jun 07 2012, 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Jun 06 2012, 1:27 pm
3 little 1s wrote:
shock shock shock

shock shock shock

I would definately complain!

Sorry, still in shock. This is not appropriate for children.

My reaction exactly. I would not want my daughter of any age to read such a thing, even reading it myself, its not something that I like to read not because it scares me because its awful and a stupid STUPID way to promote anything!
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children