Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
ISO non-hamotzi lunch that can be eaten cold
1  2  Next

SV

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 8:39 pm
I have to attend client meetings once in a while, and they usually cater a non-kosher lunch, so I have to bring my own. I never know what to bring. I don't want it to be anything I have to bench on (I.e. sandwiches) but it's hard to make something that tastes ok cold/at room temperature. Any ideas? Also, preferably something that won't smell too much (I.e. tuna).

Thanks!!

Fabulous

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 8:42 pm
pasta: Lo mein, sesame noodles etc...

crackers with anything you would a sandwich in: cheese, tuna, egg salad, veggies etc...

cold cut salad

other types of salad

SV

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 8:47 pm
Fabulous wrote:

crackers with anything you would a sandwich in: cheese, tuna, egg salad, veggies etc...

cold cut salad

other types of salad

Thanks Fabulous. Any ideas for a filling salad? (besides cold cuts, I don't think I have any in the house and need something for tomorrow...)

yaelinIN

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 8:47 pm
Hummus and tortilla/other non-hamotzei chip type things, sliced sweet peppers, carrots, cukes, etc.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 8:48 pm
SV wrote:
Fabulous wrote:

cold cut salad

other types of salad

Thanks Fabulous. Any ideas for a filling salad? (besides cold cuts, I don't think I have any in the house and need something for tomorrow...)

caesar salad with a scoop of tuna and crackers on the side.

Grilled or fried chicken in a shnitzi type salad.

pasta salad

spring13

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 8:53 pm
I brought a salad to work last week with lettuce, grape tomatoes, and chunks of smoked mozzarella cheese, plus olive oil/balsamic vinegar dressing. Throw on some croutons and that's pretty filling.

I'm also a big fan of yogurt with granola/dried fruit/nuts/seeds to mix in. Try Greek yogurt, it's a little more substantial than the usual American stuff, and more healthy.

There's always cold sesame noodles. Make the kind with peanut butter in the dressing and use whole-grain pasta; some recipes include veggies as well.

Blue jay

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 8:53 pm
Rice, avocado and tomatoes all in a bowl.

Wasa cracker pizzas.

Whole wheat noodle drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and parmasean cheese. I like mine with anchovies but you said non smelly would be good.

wasa crackers make great sandwhiches like with egg salad or cream cheese.

And chobani yogurt,Its soooo good!

SV

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 8:55 pm
QueenBee3 wrote:

That sounds interesting. Is there some kind of a dressing?

SV

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 8:56 pm
spring13 wrote:
There's always cold sesame noodles. Make the kind with peanut butter in the dressing and use whole-grain pasta; some recipes include veggies as well.

Can you please share your recipe? I've never made sesame noodles with PB...

spring13

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 9:01 pm
SV wrote:
spring13 wrote:

Can you please share your recipe? I've never made sesame noodles with PB...

I tend to fiddle around and combine recipes, depending on what ingredients I have at hand. But this one from Smitten Kitchen has all the stuff I like in it - plus, with tofu and peppers, it's substantial enough to be a good cold lunch.

sbs

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 9:13 pm
how about some kind of wrap, then you don't have the bentching problem and you could do a side salad with it

choices of wraps, tuna, cheese, avocado, grilled veggies, grilled salmon, egg salad or sliced eggs, cold cuts, chicken cutlets (grilled or fried), chicken
a lot of times I use supper leftovers int he wrap, put in veggies and very filling

Blue jay

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 9:20 pm
SV wrote:
QueenBee3 wrote:

That sounds interesting. Is there some kind of a dressing?

Nope, no dressing.
Just layer your bowl with rice on the bottom, slices of avocado (sprinkle with lemon juice if you want it to retain its green color) and then grape tomatoes. I got this idea from my Columbian housekeeper. She would eat it with hot rice but it works well with cold or room temp. This is a great recipe for avocado enthusiasts!

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 9:23 pm
Many people hold that a wrap eaten as a meal is hamotzi.

To make a salad more filling, you can either eat with croutons or WW crackers, or add something fatty or protein- avocado, cheese, tofu, chicken strips, meat strips, beans, etc.

Chumus is very filling. You can bring veggies or WW crackers to dip in it. Same with cream cheese.

Cottage cheese with veggies or fruits. Greek yogurt with granola and fruits.

There are many variations on pasta salads. Try one using WW pasta, and cheese or beans (I posted a yummy one once with chick peas in it- it's definitely a whole meal).

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 10:25 pm
If you have shredded cheese, or any other type of hard cheese in the house, you can do a pasta cheese salad or a vegetable cheese salad.

You can do a salad with quartered hard boiled eggs. With avocado or without. Take some crackers or croutons along.

I like any type of leftover chicken or meat (even burgers, whatever) cut up and thrown on top of a salad, served cold or at room temperature.

If you need help with recipes/suggestions/dressings, let us know.

spinkles

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 10:27 pm
Quinoa salad and lentil salad.

Peanut2

Post Sun, Jun 17 2012, 11:00 pm
Pasta salad with tomatoes, corn, and whatever else you like: zucchini, pepper, onions, olives. I like it with just the corn and tomatoes, and olive oil and salt.

Pretty much any salad: Greek salad, sweet potato salad, mushroom salad, or a few different salads in a dish that has a few different compartments, with maybe some crackers or something.

Or what about chicken salad?

shalhevet

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 2:33 am
If you eat the same quantity of crackers as bread you would normally have, together with a meal, it is hamotzi anyway, because it is pas haba bekisnin. No problem with pasta, rice etc.

baba

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 2:54 am
Or couscous salad.
Yesterday I didnt have anything to eat and it needed to be quick, so I cut up some mango, had some leftover honey-glezed batata and fresh basil, which I added to the couscous with some salad dressing.
Easy and versitile, you can really add anything to it.

ray family

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 4:46 am
salad w/ some protein added- chickpeas, cheese, tuna, quinoa
quinoa based salad
crackers w/ dips
room temp quiche
pasta salad
yogurt w/ granola & a fruit

mamaleh

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 8:33 am
I make a great salad of tuna, rice & (canned) green beans. add a little mayo and salt & pepper (or salsa) and it is yummy &very filling.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics