Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Is A/C a necessity?
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 10:36 pm
out of J-m, where it is hotter. We haven't had 1 for a few yrs but this year it is unbearable. Someone is giving us maaser $ to help us get 1. I feel a bit spoiled but I can not live a whole Summer like this, we are all cranky & shvitsy......Do you think it's a necessity or not?

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 10:45 pm
I really think it depends where you are. I feel like in the mercaz you MUST have one.
But really, I do not think that someone who wants AC and can get it (with help or not Smile ) should be able to and is not considered spoiled.
We lived in Modiin for a year. Before that we lived in the Gush. We did not need air in the gush so in the beginning of the year in Modiin we felt terrible and spoiled using the AC, but then reality bit us in the behind and we could not function without it. It was THAT HOT.

Get the AC, you will have menuchat hanefesh and that, in my opinion is also very important!

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 10:48 pm
Just be sure you can afford the electric bills that go along with it.

lst

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 10:57 pm
I live near the Mercaz. When I first got married, we barely used it (came with the apt). It was hot, but I managed, usually. Once I had kids I realized it is a necessity. It is so oppressively hot, and I get cranky, my kids get crank, etc. I am a much nicer mom when the a/c is on. And it's on a good deal of the day, I need it in order to function.

ray family

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 11:16 pm
I think there are many pple who can function w/o an air conditioner and only w/ fans.
personally I'm a much nicer person when I'm cooler. otherwise I'm snappy and very impatient.
my kids are calmer as well.
even my husband who doesn't like ac will put in on bec. he sees how much calmer I am
just keep in mind that your electric bill will be increasing significantly.
otherwise enjoy.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 11:19 pm
BTW, I didn't mean for my response to come across as brisk, blunt or judgmental. I realize there's no tone of voice or body language. I was merely expressing something that may not have occurred to you.

Dev80

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 11:21 pm
YESSSSSSSSS!!! A/C IS A NECESSITY!!!! I'm really not sure what people without it are doing these weeks...hopefully they have friends or neighbors that are letting them come over. I think back in the day it was considered a luxury but now even some of the most ghetto looking apartments have A/C units. B'H you are getting one and don't feel guilty!!!

ewa-jo

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 11:28 pm
AC in the bedroom is essential for shalom bayis.

Otherwise, no children would be conceived during the summer months and the birthrate would drop.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 11:43 pm
op here,thank you all. I do live in 1 of the hotter places, like Modiin & have been frugal/stubborn till now, even 2 Summers ago which was one of the hottest Summers & I was in my last trimester w/ an 8 pound baby & w/ an active 2 yo,but now, with 3 kids & the amt of energy I need I just caved in. We ate out on Shabbos day & did not go home till after Shabbos b/c it was an oven in my appt (no breeze, sun shines in in the morning...)

Such Hashgacha Pratis!!!!!!!
we decided to but an A/C unit yesterday even though we couldn't really afford it, b/c we needed it to live. Last night someone called & asked if we could use some $ b/c they had a lot of maaser. it covers 2/3 of the cost!

we are well aware of the cost of running it, dh is good at keeping it at a pleasant temp, not cold & I'm also careful about these things (like turning off lights, using gas stove instead of electric oven when I can...). thank you for mentioning it though.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 11:44 pm
I suppose a generation or so ago, a/c was rare enough that it would be ridiculous to argue that they are a necessity. I suppose you can train yourself to get used to hotter weather. Or hang out in shopping malls and grocery stores mid-day.

Personally, I have not been successful at doing this.

I am far from an a/c addict (the kind who turns onthe a/c as soon as it hits 75ºF), but I am really REALLY miserable and sluggish when it is 90ºF for days -- and nights -- on end unless I have an a/c.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 11:46 pm
we are only getting 1 in the main room, the bedroom would be too much of a splurge. we are ok w/ fans there. (plus we're on bc Wink )

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 11:47 pm
My husband and I both work from home... The upstairs doesn't have eaves so it's disgustingly hot. I work downstairs and I know my work has suffered these past few days because of the heat.

When we buy a home, we're definitely going to spring for central air.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 11:54 pm
when I told a friend yesterday that I don't have A/C she was shock shoked! sh sais "really?! I didn't know there are still ppl like that here"

Isramom8

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 11:54 pm
A necessity for not dying? Probably not (but maybe).
A necessity for sane summers? In central Israel, yes.

chani8

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 12:04 am
The other option is to sit in the dark with shades drawn and fans going, and wet your sleeves and keep a rag on your neck. . . vs an AC??? Is it really a question?

OTOH, can you afford a higher electricity bill??

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 12:06 am
chani8 wrote:
The other option is to sit in the dark with shades drawn and fans going, and wet your sleeves and keep a rag on your neck. . . vs an AC??? Is it really a question?

OTOH, can you afford a higher electricity bill??
chani, it does not have to be so drastically all or nothing Smile

We dont have an ac and we are managing. we have the fans going all of the time when we are in said room, the trisim are usually drawn later in the day if it is only bringing in heat to the house. But its not so bad.

And if thats all you have and no option for an AC then you manage.

I have a lot of relatives actually, just thinking about this, that live in the mercaz of the country and they have old apartments and no AC. They manage. What else is there to do? Hope for an early winter Smile

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 12:13 am
I was here for 2.5 summers b4 we finally got one and now of course I can't imagine how we lived without. We could manage if you consider: waking up sweating in the middle of the night to take a cold shower, eating ices all day, getting headaches from the heat, etc.. managing. I personally think when the weather is above 35 its really not manageable. When its just warm and there is a breeze its not so bad but for 2-4 weeks each summer I think its a nessecity for basic functioning.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 12:15 am
When I am invited to someone's house in the merkaz in August, I ask first how well their air conditioning is working. If it's not, they usually set up several fans before I get there (not that I ask; people are just nice).

m in Israel

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 12:45 am
I think that your wording of the question "is it a necessity?" forces me to answer no, because obviously there are plenty of people who survive without it. If you would have asked if it was a luxury, I also would have answered no. I certainly don't consider a/c in this type of climate (I live in RBS) a luxury. I believe there is a big spectrum between "luxury" and "necessity". I think the question should be "is an a/c a reasonable expense for someone living on a budget?" and to that question I feel a strong yes!!!! It makes a huge difference in your quality of life, and if you can pull it off, I think it is definitely worth it. But as others said, remember the main expense of a/c is not the one time purchasing fee but the constant electric bills that come with it. If you can budget for that, go for it!

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 12:51 am
Also, many places that need a LOT of AC in the summer do not need any or a very small amount of heat in the winter, so it is a good sort of trade. The bill will be for the 5 or 6 months of heat but then not at all or very little bit during the winter at all.
When we lived in RBS, we did turn the heat on, but not as much as we turned on the AC.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions