Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Internet without a homeline

wereafamily

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 2:21 pm
I know it's possible, I just don't know who offers it...
I can't afford a home line and internet and DH and I have a cell phone so we don't really need a home line but we do need internet - Anyone know who provides such service?

TIA Smile

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 3:43 pm
of course. You can get an internet card from verizon, sprint, tmobile, or clear. It's expensive though and you can max out your internet use really quickly. You can also get cable.

Fabulous

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 4:33 pm
We had that. Cable from cable vision. We only got phone after the year was up and the price was so high that when you added phone it was just a few dollars more and it made sense.

reed

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 4:51 pm
Verizon will give you DSL with a dry loop - basically allowing you internet service without a Verizon phone line. There is a one-time charge in the area of $125 to set up the service. I don't know if they offer FIOS without phone service, but many say it's better than DSL.

Cable will allow you internet service without phone service. See what specials they are currently offering in your area. I just set up cable internet without phone for $29.95/month for a year + a one-time $19.95 installation fee. When it goes up after a year, they said I can call back and renegotiate based on whatever specials they will be offering then.

You can also get a USB modem from one of the cell-phone carriers, but besides for the monthly fee, you pay for data usage, so if you do a lot of downloading, it can get costly.

You don't say where you're located, but you might also try some of the newer phone services like Xchange Telecom, or some of the others advertised locally. Depending on your location, they do have some reasonable plans available.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 5:46 pm
I have FiOS and no "landline" (VoIP, but not through Verizon).
Cards are cheaper though. Clear, Cricket, etc are some options.
Dry loop DSL is the cheapest (with a contract) but it's not offered everywhere. I can't get it because Verizon wants me to cough up money and get FiOS.

OutATowner

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 6:45 pm
I have Verizon fios. It depends when you get the deal, sometimes they offer promotions, and I live in a development that is set up for Fios, but I pay $50 a month, the first 6 months it was less though.
If you have a Verizon cellphone they have bundles sometimes. Call and ask. Got it set up 2 years ago and haven't had any problems.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 6:58 pm
Oy. They're $55 for me now for the first year, going up to like $70 something.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 7:15 pm
I'm sure it depends on your region. We have done a few different options over the years. Sometimes the cheapest option was actually including a landline.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jun 20 2012, 7:30 am
I'm just so annoyed at Verizon that they don't offer DSL anymore in the area because they installed FiOS and have a monopoly and therefore can charge me an arm and a leg...but I need it for work Sad
I had Cricket broadband before, but that doesn't come out cheaper if I had to pay for a landline as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics