Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
DD chose pink hearing aid, should I not?
1  2  Next

baskrox

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 1:09 pm
We recently found out DD needs a hearing aid for mild hearing loss. She is going into first grade, and, of course, chose pink. I want her to be excited about it and want to wear it - and she wants pink. However, as an adult, I know that if it's pink rather than brown (her hair color), it will stand out more, instead of blending in,which can cause more stares. Should I let a Kindergartener make that decision, when she doesn't realize the results of that choice? I'm really struggling with this choice. She will have this hearing aid for 3-5 years. Maybe in fourth grade, she won't want pink?

Barbara

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 1:19 pm
baskrox wrote:
We recently found out DD needs a hearing aid for mild hearing loss. She is going into first grade, and, of course, chose pink. I want her to be excited about it and want to wear it - and she wants pink. However, as an adult, I know that if it's pink rather than brown (her hair color), it will stand out more, instead of blending in,which can cause more stares. Should I let a Kindergartener make that decision, when she doesn't realize the results of that choice? I'm really struggling with this choice. She will have this hearing aid for 3-5 years. Maybe in fourth grade, she won't want pink?

Do they make "skins" for hearing aids? If not, they should. Then she could change the colors.

I'd go for pink. Let her feel good about it.

morahtikvah

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 1:21 pm
I'm inclined to say let her get pink only because I know that pink is super motivating and exciting for my DD6. Hopefully by 4th grade she will be motivated to wear it because it helps her hear. Hatzlacha Raba, I know long term purchases can be terrifying.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 1:23 pm
Go with the pink.
Let her, and the other children in her class who see it, be excited about it.

spring13

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 1:25 pm
She'll probably have an easier time with a pink one: it'll be a cute accessory instead of just a tool she needs. Honestly, I bet a lot of her classmates will think it's really cool if she gets a pink one. It's like getting colored bands on braces: if it makes a difficult process more enjoyable for your child, then let them have a little fun.

unameit

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 1:39 pm
My very good freind is 35 and she still wears colord hearing aid. I thin her current one is a bright purple. Let her be proud!

Fox

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 1:41 pm
Is it the kind that attaches to a headband? If so, you can make different headband covers. Otherwise, I'd let her go with the pink and cover it with some kind of "skin," as Barbara suggested. If they don't make them, you can probably adapt something else for the purpose.

drumjj

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 1:42 pm
I agree let her choose something she likes and wants and she can be proud and wear it, and also kids that grow up with children who are a little different dont always notice the differences as its normal to them a lot of the time.

naomi2

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 3:58 pm
I agree that you should let her get pink. if she thinks its cool and is super confident about it's coolness, then the other children would probably view it as cool too. think- braces or glasses, I got reading glasses in second grade cause I thought they were cool and my eyes 'bothered' me when I read.... Wink Wink Wink

amother

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 4:05 pm
I would think get something that blends in. Just my humble opinion. It will really stand out. It is just part of her not. Something that she will want always to stand out by. Like I wouldn't want dd to have a pink or silver crown on her front teeth.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 4:05 pm
I have a HA. Next time I plan to get a fun color too. Its nothing to be ashamed of, if she likes the pink, get the pink.

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 4:14 pm
Even a brown one kids will notice, she (or you or the teacher) will have to explain, which will be good for all in the long run anyway. If she likes pink, go for it, it will probably make her like the whole thing better. When she's older she will probably appreciate something more subtle, but since you say this one will only be good for a few years anyway, why not.

Happy 2B

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 4:19 pm
I agree pink. I think your telling her to get brown to "hide" it will be teaching her that she has something to be ashamed of. Which she doesn't!! It's not like if it's brown no one will know. It's still going to be seen. I agree I"YH she will have the opportunity in a few years to get a brown one that blends in more.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 4:22 pm
The main thing is that your daughter has to feel happy wearing it. If brown is yucky and pink is pretty, then she should get pink. The focus shouldn't be on hiding it as well as she can, because that will just give her a message of shame. Young kids might be more weirded out by a brown color. Pink is more kid-friendly. When she is a tween, she may choose something different. Or not.

freidasima

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 4:55 pm
Pink is cool. Go for it!

Shuly

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 6:32 pm
I had a student with a brown hearing aid and all the kids in the class noticed it. When they asked what it was, I told them that the same way some people need glasses to help them see better, she needs this to help her hear better. They were totally fine with that answer and didn't ask about it again.
The point is that they noticed the brown hearing aid, so brown is not less noticeable than pink. Let her get the pink one!

zaq

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 7:31 pm
One more vote for the pink. You want her to like it. talking her into a less visible one will only give her the message that it's something to be ashamed of--otherwise why hide it?

BTW brown is not going to be less noticeable than pink unless your dd has brown skin.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 7:45 pm
Pink pink pink!

Absolutely let her think of the hearing aid as a cool fashion accessory rather than an ugly lump on her head.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 7:54 pm
are you talking about the actual hearing aid or the ear mold? I wear hearing aids and never saw pink ones yet, but there are different color options for the ear mold. if that's the case then, pink ear molds, then def let her go for it cuz ear molds dont last 3-5 years. she will need new ones over time and then you can get her a diff color.

baskrox

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 9:14 pm
Thanks for your responses. I feel much better now about the pink.

It is the hearing aid and not the ear mold: It's from Oticon:
http://www.oticonusa.com/Otico......html
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children