Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Taped down fridge switch getting unstuck on Shabbos
1  2  Next

EvenI

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 12:55 am
Not sure where to post this.
We bought a fridge thinking it ha some sort of Shabbos proof system, but doesn't seem to have it at all. So we've been taping down the little switch that gets released when you open the door and switches on the light and other stuff. The problem is that even though we try to tape it down tightly, sometimes the tape comes off on Shabbos. Does anyone have experience with this problem and any recommendation for what to do about it?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 12:59 am
take the bulb out. thats what we did as soon as we bought our fridge. then there is no problems ever Smile

DrMom

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 1:02 am
Someone brought us these little velcro tabs that you stick to the ceiling of your fridge and that keep the light switch depressed so it won't pop out on Shabbat.

They have a dopey name: Kosher Fridg-eez.

http://www.kosherimage.com/fridgeez.html

EvenI

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 1:04 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
take the bulb out. thats what we did as soon as we bought our fridge. then there is no problems ever Smile

I would maybe take it out just for Shabbos. I really don't like never having a bulb. I need to see what's in my fridge. Also, I don't think taking out the bulb is a complete solution. My husband thinks disabling the switch stops the thermostat as well as the light.

grace413

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 1:04 am
Stronger tape or take the bulb out.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 1:05 am
When did you buy the fridge? If you bought it in the last few years (not sure from when exactly), it is not only the light which is the problem. Opening the door activates all kinds of systems. You need to call the company and get them to install a Shabbos switch (they do this in Israel).

EvenI

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 1:10 am
shalhevet wrote:
When did you buy the fridge? If you bought it in the last few years (not sure from when exactly), it is not only the light which is the problem. Opening the door activates all kinds of systems. You need to call the company and get them to install a Shabbos switch (they do this in Israel).

The company that sold it to us? If that isn't practical, can another company do it for us? Do you have any suggestions?

I know it's not just the light bulb. That's why we didn't take the bulb out, but taped down the switch - to stop it activating whatever systems are activated by opening the door.

Bought it quite recently. I am confused because the fridge is made by Sharp and is advertised as having a feature called "Sharp Mehadrin" which I thought was supposed to take care of it, but there is no evidence in the fridge itself or the manual of any sign of any Shabbos feature.

The Happy Wife

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 1:32 am
We just got a new fridge and are unsure if there are issues with Shabbos so we have kept it taped up with several layers of painters tape. However, we keep it taped all the time, not just for Shabbos. So far sticking very well.

EvenI

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 1:37 am
I just put in a request with the company for some telephone support.

This is what every online description of the fridge says:
טכנולוגיית SHARP מהדרין:

מנגנון ממוחשב אשר קובע זמנים מוגדרים מראש על פי תכנון מוקדם,להפסקת פעולת התרמוסטט ,
בכדי למנוע חילול שבת. ניתן להפעילו לתקופה של 40 או 80 שעות, בהתאם לצורך. המנגנון מותקן בפס הייצור.

In the fridge itself, we see no means of activating such a feature. I'll see what they say...

shalhevet

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 2:00 am
The Happy Wife wrote:
We just got a new fridge and are unsure if there are issues with Shabbos so we have kept it taped up with several layers of painters tape. However, we keep it taped all the time, not just for Shabbos. So far sticking very well.

You tape the door switch? If you keep it taped up all the time you will ruin the fridge! It isn't just the light any more - it's to do with the thermostat and other things. You cannot just keep it off all the time - the fridge is not designed to work like that. I suggest calling the company for advice regarding Shabbos.

tizunabi

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 3:32 am
we have a sharp fridge (in israel). in the english manual there is nothing about the shabbat feature. in the hebrew one, there is.
Also, I can tell you how we put ours on shabbat mode, if it is the same. do you have a picture of it that you can show me.

EvenI

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 3:35 am
tizunabi wrote:
we have a sharp fridge (in israel). in the english manual there is nothing about the shabbat feature. in the hebrew one, there is.
Also, I can tell you how we put ours on shabbat mode, if it is the same. do you have a picture of it that you can show me.

It's the SJ2190. This: http://www.olsale.co.il/olsale.....12394 Even if it isn't the same, please tell me what you do.

The service company just called and said they are sending me a technician. I made my question really clear and asked them if they're sure they have to send someone to me, and they said they did. It sounds weird.

EvenI

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 3:39 am
tizunabi wrote:

BTW, I did look through the hebrew manual and didn't find anything. Not sure where it is now...

tizunabi

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 3:46 am
ok. so my fridge experience is not going to be of any use because my fridge has a digital interface that we use to put it on shabbat mode. however, my MIL has a fridge with little things that she needs to press down for shabbat mode and I'll do my best to explain how she does it.

Instead of placing tape every week, she has a little flat metal bar that she slides over the switch to keep it depressed. it is about the length of a long bobby pin and is as wide as my pinky.

It has two little holder things that keep it on track, one on each side of the switch. To put it on shabbat mode she pushes down the switch and slides the bar over it into the holder on the other side. When shabbat is over, she pulls it out and it sits in the holder on the other side all week.

I hope I was clear. I should be passing by her apartment today so if you want I'll go up and take a picture of the mechanism.

If I wasn't clear this is something that was provided by the company, but added on AFTER the fridge was delivered (they were back-ordered or something so it took them a month or two to get them to her.)
So even if you don't have it right now, don't worry, you may still be able to get them.

tizunabi

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 3:57 am
double..

Last edited by tizunabi on Sun, Jun 24 2012, 3:59 am; edited 1 time in total

imasinger

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 4:09 am
DrMom wrote:
Someone brought us these little velcro tabs that you stick to the ceiling of your fridge and that keep the light switch depressed so it won't pop out on Shabbat.

They have a dopey name: Kosher Fridg-eez.

http://www.kosherimage.com/fridgeez.html

This is what we use, too. It has held for several years, b"H.

EvenI

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 4:12 am
tizunabi wrote:
ok. so my fridge experience is not going to be of any use because my fridge has a digital interface that we use to put it on shabbat mode. however, my MIL has a fridge with little things that she needs to press down for shabbat mode and I'll do my best to explain how she does it.

Instead of placing tape every week, she has a little flat metal bar that she slides over the switch to keep it depressed. it is about the length of a long bobby pin and is as wide as my pinky.

It has two little holder things that keep it on track, one on each side of the switch. To put it on shabbat mode she pushes down the switch and slides the bar over it into the holder on the other side. When shabbat is over, she pulls it out and it sits in the holder on the other side all week.

I hope I was clear. I should be passing by her apartment today so if you want I'll go up and take a picture of the mechanism.

If I wasn't clear this is something that was provided by the company, but added on AFTER the fridge was delivered (they were back-ordered or something so it took them a month or two to get them to her.)
So even if you don't have it right now, don't worry, you may still be able to get them.

Thanks. My MIL's fridge also has something like that. But this fridge doesn't have that and the implication of the product description was that the feature is built in in the factory. Maybe they have to fix a switch on it though. I'll wait for the technician and see what happens. I'll update the thread.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 5:22 am
FTR, you need better tape - packing tape or some such. we don't hve that problem.

Also - the newer fridges have a bunch of light bulbs. it's not practical to take them out often.

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 9:54 am
We have a sharp, they will come and put a little plastic part on that you can push down the button and slide the plastic over.

Ours broke after a couple of years, so I put two pieces of the sticky velcro on either side of the button, and a long strip of the soft velcro over. I tried it first on a weekday, and bli ayan hara no issues yet.

EvenI

Post Sun, Jun 24 2012, 10:08 am
RachelEve14 wrote:
We have a sharp, they will come and put a little plastic part on that you can push down the button and slide the plastic over.

Ours broke after a couple of years, so I put two pieces of the sticky velcro on either side of the button, and a long strip of the soft velcro over. I tried it first on a weekday, and bli ayan hara no issues yet.

Well, that would be better than what we're doing now and hence solve the problem as I presented it in the OP, but I think I hope they aren't going to just do that, because it's supposed to have something that lets you select a 40 hour or an 80 hour pre-programmed on/off cycle for the motor, which it seems clear to me is not the same thing as something that pushes the door button in. If they do what you say, it would seem mean that this fridge doesn't actually have the feature they claim it has.

Which Sharp do you have?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics