Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Crockpot questions

newcomer

Post Thu, Jun 28 2012, 5:32 am
thinking of buying a crockpot - my question is will it make the kitchen hot on shabbos?
last time we had the cholent on the plata and it made the kitchen feel like a sauna -
since it is so hot without air conditioning we want to have cholent without heating up our whole house....

Dev80

Post Thu, Jun 28 2012, 5:56 am
I don't find that the crock pot heats up the kitchen, I think the hot plate does more. I have a big open kitchen so maybe that's why, but even before I moved and had a small kitchen I don't think it gave off so much heat. I put the hot plate on a timer because it doe make things hot, but not the crock pot.

But, maybe it depends on the type of crock pot?

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Jun 28 2012, 8:40 am
I also agree that crockpot doesn't emit as much heat as the hotplate (I'm talking about israeli style plata). With crockpot, the heating element is only at the bottom and the surrounding area to the pot so the heat is contained rather than released.

Having said that, we end of using/setting up both crockpot and hotplate, unless the only hot food we're serving is cholent/stew/goulash/meatballs.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jun 28 2012, 8:45 am
Yes, my crockpot does. I leave it on a timer so it goes off and stays off most of the day. But it still heats the kitchen in a noticeable way until then. I don't have a hot plate, so I can't compare them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics