Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Opinion on kitchen remodeling please

amother

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 10:33 pm
We have a small galley kitchen. We just got light hickory wood cabinets, stock were on sale at the big places. Now it's time for the floor, counters, and paint. We're sticking to floating vinyl or vinyl tiles, and formica. I love wedgewood blue. My gut was to paint second half of kitchen blue, top white or light blue, and floors and counters would be slate/black.

Since our contractor told me he didn't like the materials for my first choice, it has compressed wood no good, I looked at floors again and found a terra cotta I love. This throws everything off. I don't know where I'll get blue in, unless I paint a distressed green blue. I really don't want honey walls or anything cream or yellow.

I'm really torn and need to make my mind up by tomorrow. For a few weeks since all the arrangements fell together I'd really been into the first color scheme but now I'm not so sure, especially since dh said he'd prefer something warm but it's totally up to me. (so don't worry, no sb potential problems here.)

Thanks for any input.

Kugglegirl

Post Sun, Jul 08 2012, 11:22 pm
Maybe you can work in some colbalt blue trim & green & teracotta? I think the colbalt blue would go w. the teracotta as an accent. Maybe a more peachy color for the base & some kind of stenciling to work in the blues you want?

Maybe go ahead anyway w. the wedgewood blue & stencil some accents to pick up the tera cotta on it? If the paint really is not to your liking, it's the cheapest thing to change.

I always agonize over the color choices too.

mamalooshin

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 12:13 am
I think a pale shade of sunflower yellow on the walls with accents of wedgewood blue elsewhere - tea kettle, stool(s), etc - could look fabulous. I'd lean an elegant tray with those colors (sunflower yellow and wedgewood blue and other colors, too) against backsplash wall. And/or buy or paint a watering can blue (for a rustic look) and pop in some sunflowers to sit on the countertop somewhere. I think the combo of terra cotta tiles and your lighter wood cabinets with these colors are classy, classic, welcoming and full of personality.

Tablepoetry

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 12:50 am
I would google terracotta kitchens/floors and look at the colour schemes they came up with.

I looked up 'wedgewood blue' and it came up with a variety of shades. Some would work with terracotta, some not.

Just be careful not to fall in love with one item (the terracotta) that throws off a whole scheme, if you've always dreamed of this scheme. IOW, if you love the cottagey look with a pale/medium blue, then maybe terracotta is not for you. It likely will dictate deeper, richer colours (although I have seen terracotta used as a dark accent, with all the rest of the kitchen cream).

amother

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 10:04 am
Thanks everyone!
No room on counters for tchachkes, there might be some shelf space though.
Here's how it stands: if the floor checks out as durable enough (contractor had some questions the Home Depot guy couldn't ask so next stop is google) I'm going with the floor. A muted wedgewood blue with a hint of gray would definitely work but I've always had a soft spot for a soft blue green. There was a marine cupboard that was "it" and I found a soft teal paint that matches so beautifully that I'm inclined to go with teal on the lower half and a white with a hint of warmth for the top and ceiling. Now, the counters...Kind of fading to not as important, there's a stock that works, otherwise I might go with a complementary reddish shade. Special order but there's so little counter space that it won't add much.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 09 2012, 10:05 am
Yeah, Dh was right! Wink This just has a much happier feel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics