Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Preparing for Rosh Khodesh Av and the 9 Days

merpk

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 2:51 am
So every year my DH and I have the same disagreements about getting ready for the 9 days.

There's the try on all the clothes in the closet method. There's the drop the clothes on the floor and step on them before you put them on method.

If there are other methods, please let me know.

Or if we're being crazy BTs and need to be educated, I'll take that, too. :-)

shalhevet

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 2:58 am
I learnt you should wear any outer clothing for at least half an hour before the 9 Days start. Shabbos clothing stays clean. You can wear more than one thing, one on top of another, at the same time. Do the same for towels - use a clean towel at least once before the 9 Days.

The throwing on the floor method doesn't really count. Some people use it for underwear, which you don't have to pre-wear anyway.

If you forgot to prepare clothes, you can wear clean clothes on Shabbos and change them any time you'd normally change (eg another set when you get up in the morning, another set after taking a nap).

You can take clean towels for Shabbos, but not bed linen (you need to sleep on clean linen once before the 9 Days).

merpk

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 3:05 am
Okay. So we have to wear two layers of clothing basically for the next two days (I love July in the Middle East, I am one with the heat, etc., etc., etc.)?

This is how everyone does it?

(If you actually have working air conditioning and/or the budget to turn it on, maybe this isn't a question for you. For me, it is.)

cinnamon

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 3:09 am
We wear more then two layers. its just for half an hour. We do it in two waves - wearing half the clothes we will need for a half an hour then the other half for another half an hour. We will do it on thursday this year.

shalhevet

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 3:17 am
I just change my clothes (one set each time) a few times the same day. Or if you aren't at home much, start earlier, and wear each set for half a day or whatever. The wearing two or more sets at a time is for when you forgot and/ or are out all day, and don't have time to wear one at a time for half an hour.

sky

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 9:19 pm
Anyone else busy trying on clothing. I personally hate doing it. I got 4 on today and I hope to do 4 tomorrow. And with lots of little kids its hard keeping clean
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note