Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Giving gift to x/niece

amother

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 10:03 am
hi, so my nephew divorced his wife while she was pregnant. she had the baby a few months ago and lives with her parents. I still think shes very sweet, even though not such nice things happened and are going on, the usual after an unpleasant separation and divorce. I thought of just getting her a gift card, is this a good idea?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 10:08 am
the child is still your relative. of course you should get her a gift of some sort! if you can pull off being friendly with both parents, good for you. I assume your nephew hasn't written the baby off completely, I can't imagine he'd have a problem with you giving a gift card for baby items. buying a diamond necklace for his ex would be inappropriate, obviously, but a nice gift for the baby's benefit is lovely.

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 10:42 am
I agree.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 10:44 am
thanks, just ordered her a gift card via target.

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 1:54 pm
very thoughtful of you to give a gift and mature not to be taking sides.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 1:56 pm
Whether the child is your relative is debatable, but so what? The mom is your friend. Of course you can buy the child a gift.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 1:58 pm
Sounds like the right thing to do!

Barbara

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 2:00 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
Whether the child is your relative is debatable, but so what? The mom is your friend. Of course you can buy the child a gift.

Why on earth wouldn't she be related to her nephew's child? Its her great-niece (or great nephew) -- the grandchild of her brother or sister.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 2:03 pm
Barbara wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

Why on earth wouldn't she be related to her nephew's child? Its her great-niece (or great nephew) -- the grandchild of her brother or sister.

Yes, you are right. I get so confused about divorce relationships. I also get confused about marriage relationships. Time for some coffee. coffee

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 2:05 pm
op, you may want to get your nephew a giftcard as well, if you haven't already.

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 17 2012, 2:14 pm
Isramom8 wrote:

The child is OP's great-niece or -nephew, being the daughter or son of her nephew. That the parents were no longer married by the time of the birth doesn't change that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics