Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Baltimore: tipping very frum counselor

amother

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 12:03 pm
This is a weird question. My son is in a day camp and his favorite counselor is leaving for the second half. I would like to give her a small gift/tip ($10-15).

Last year (the first time this was nogeah), I gave the counselors each a $5 gift card to Dunkin Donuts. Those girls were not as yeshivish, and in fact, it was the head counselor who suggested that gift.

This girl strikes me as super frum...what I call "Menlo type" Very Happy you know, pleated skirts, hair always back, father is very close with R'Heinemann, will probably go to BJJ or Hadar. She doesn't strike me as the kind of girl who is going to go to the pizza store or dunkin' donuts without her parents. She is going into 12th grade. And I doubt they even eat at Coccaccinos or Dunkin Donuts.

What would be an appropriate gift (around $15) for her? My husband thought a gift certificate to shabsi's but I think it's kind of nebby. that's more a gift for a Rebbe.

Anon to protect location

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 12:07 pm
a pizza gift card is fine, I think.

otherwise, just give her cash. everyone likes that.

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 12:15 pm
Cash

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 12:20 pm
I would give cash. It's always the right size, right length, right color and right hechsher.

Besides, kids become camp counselors to make money, and they count on those cash tips. Pay for counselors is very low, and it's the tips that make the job financially worthwhile. Sorry, but a gift card, which forces them to buy something they may not want in a shop they may not want to patronize, doesn't cut it.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 12:28 pm
The Royal Gift Card can be used in many places and might be a good alternative.

abby1776

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 1:01 pm
Target. There is always something at Target everyone needs.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 1:34 pm
I just want to thank you for realizing she might not go to Dunkin Donuts. My kids have won certificates to DD, and we keep CY, so we don't go there - this is something that only a thoughtful person would think of:)

mommy27

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 8:51 pm
If you want to get a gift certificate to a food place, maybe the candy store? There's also Presentations, which has some gifts that may be appropriate. It also might depend on her age. Also, as everyone else said, cash is always nice too.

Simple1

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 9:25 pm
Gift certificates can be a problem, unless it's a place like Brooklyn where she can walk over, or take a bus by herself to use it. My dd got a gift card last year, and it took us almost a year to use it, at which point it almost expired. Also if the amount is more than she can eat in one sitting, like in a pizza store, it will end up being a gift to the family. Alternately, if the mother takes her, and ends up buying pizza for the family anyway - then it's not much of a gift.

Cash is always nice
If you want to give a gift - an inexpensive necklace. Or maybe something cute for her room. a hand bag.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 10:05 pm
No, I don't have a clue who this is, but I wonder if OP can ask a mod to edit; there's way too much detail there IMO.

lamplighter

Post Mon, Jul 30 2012, 10:20 pm
I wouldn't do a food certificate.
A nice siddur or Tehillim, a toiletry bag with her name on it, a nice wallet, or cash.
I actually once got a wallet with cash in it Smile

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 6:33 am
cash.

b from nj

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 9:25 am
Yes!!! cash is ALWAYS appreciated as a tip. Or you can give a gift certificate to Tov Pizza since you mentioned Baltimore & the owner is related to me Very Happy but then again, you can NEVER go wrong with cash!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics