Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
ISO recipe for barley side dish

sarahd

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 4:16 pm
We're having a Shabbos guest who eats only whole grains and nothing fried. I usually bake brown rice with vegetables when he comes, but I'm tired of it already and no one else likes it anyhow. I'm looking for another idea and someone suggested that I make something with barley. I haven't found anything here (or at any rate, nothing that doesn't involve frying) but maybe someone has a good recipe for me?

granolamom

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 6:54 pm
I like farro with butternut squash and balsamic vinegar with toasted walnuts, have made it with barley too and its good that way also.
also have a wonderful but time consuming recipe for barley risotto with butternut squash and mushrooms. if you have time on your hands and want it lmk and I'll send it to you
easy and simple is to sautee (or grill!) mushrooms and onions (or shallots) and stir it into cooked barley with some seasoning.
oh, also I once made a barley salad with corn, can be served at room temp or cold. can look for that recipe too if you want it. might not have it anymore cuz dh didnt care for it (I liked it ok).
will he eat quinoa? you can substitute quinoa for rice just to change things up a bit.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 6:58 pm
A friend of mine made a barley and mushroom dish last sukkos and it was really yummy. She said it was in dining in. If I had the cookbook I would type it. Maybe someone else has it?

sarahd

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 5:02 am
Barley-mushroom sounds good. I'd take that recipe. No butternut squash available here this time of year, but the corn salad sounds interesting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes