Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
If you eat chulent.........
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 8:52 am
Do you eat it throughout the year? Even when it is hot?

Growing up it was a winter food.
My husband did not grow up with chulent and so I dont make it at all, ever.

Someone, in another thread mentioned eating all year. I was just curious about what people do Smile

elaela

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 8:55 am
All year witht he exception of the shabbatons on which we just dont feel like chulent...3 or 4 times a year. usually during the hot months. aside from that all year.

shmaichul

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 9:00 am
All year round :-)

mha3484

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 9:01 am
We eat something hot and fleischig each week. Some weeks cholent and other weeks we've been experimenting.

mvp

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 9:20 am
Never make cholent, but I do usually have something warm to serve for main course.
I do skip soup friday night in the summer - soup really warms you up, and shabbos starts too late to eat a three course meal.

red_velvet

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 9:55 am
Where I'm from I never heard of anyone who DOESN'T serve it every shabbos...

piegirl

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 10:27 am
before I got married, we never had cholent.
but now, we both like it, and yes, we have it every week.
im more shock about people who have soup friday night even during a chamsin

nameless

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 10:37 am
cholent every week. Wouldn't be shabbos without it (same with chicken soup for us).

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 10:40 am
I personally rarely eat cholent, but I make it every week no matter what -- DH would be very unhappy without it. Even when he's dieting and eating no carbs, I've come up with a version for him.

Liba

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 10:42 am
We have chicken soup every friday night and cholent every shabbos afternoon. Rain, shine, hot, or cold. We even had it when the smell made me sick and we had to cook it in the laundry room (which wasn't connected to my bathroom then!) with the door closed. Very Happy

Simple1

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 10:51 am
We make it all year, not always cholent but some form of crock pot food. Maybe once in a while, I won't if I don't have time, and I have other things to serve. With guests I would always serve - I would think they are expecting it. There is a basis in halacha or minhag to have hot foods on shabbos.

shev

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 10:56 am
batmelech wrote:

We have soup every friday night and cholent every Shabbos day. As red_velvet said, where I come from everyone eats soup friday night and cholent in the morning, never knew that people dont.

mommyhood

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 11:01 am
We have soup every Friday night and chulent every Shabbos day. We have air conditioning so I I have no problem serving hot food in the summer, my house is just as cool in the winter.
I did not grow up with soup and chulent every week but dh did and he loves it and my kids eat it so I don't mind. And dh makes the chulent so it's less work for me.

exhausted

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 11:04 am
Same here! We have it every week except 2 or 3 times in the summer when it's just too hot. Almost the same thing with chicken soup, although I find the blech does make the kitchen hotter, so I skip it a little more often in the summer, although we miss it.

grace413

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 11:04 am
We gave up cholent for weight reasons Crying but we have chicken soup every Friday night no matter what the temperature.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 11:27 am
I make cholent evrey week. But we have lightened our Shabbos menu in other ways. We don't serve cold cuts anymore and rarely offer kugel. Instead we've been having a "salad bar" every week and serving salmon.

Soul on fire

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 3:39 pm
we do have cholent in the warmer months but not every week. We only eat meat on shabbos so sometimes we want other things to eat too so I make those. Typically all of our Shabbos lunch meals are crock pot meals though. I do not do soup in the warm months though.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 3:43 pm
Yup, we eat cholent all year round. Everyone here has central ac blasting so its not like we are sweating while eating it. Even if we are hot when we get home from shul, we have enough time to cool off with other courses before we get to the cholent.

Eating hot foods is a traditions on shabbat. And versions of cholent have been that hot food for a long time.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 3:44 pm
batmelech wrote:

Isn't the whole point of cholent slow overnight cooking? If you serve it on Fri night, does that mean you start it on Thursday night or all day Friday? Also for Fri dinner you want something easier to digest. That's why many people I know go for soup Fri night and cholent Shabbat lunch.

piegirl

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 3:58 pm
sorry if I wasn't clear.
we currently have chulent shabbos lunch, every week, although in my parents house we never did.
we do NOT have soup every friday night, just because in the summer its too hot.

in my opinion, it's never too hot for chulent Smile!
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note