Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
9 days activities?

wispalover

Post Tue, Jul 24 2012, 10:42 pm
would you take your kids to an amusement park? I feel hesitant about it, although I am assuming it is more permissible than a water park for example?

ceo

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 12:35 am
My Rov said it's a problem--- I forget what the context of the discussion was, though. I think he was saying that teenagers who run backyard camps often plan nice trips during the nine days-- in place of swimming--and the mothers need to make sure that the "camp directors" (LOL) have asked a proper shaila.

probably best to forgo the trip, if possible, or ask your own posek, and not rely on anonymous person on the internet who could be a total weirdo. Very Happy

chani8

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 3:58 am
Taking your kids to an amusement park during the 9 days?

Would someone in aveilus go to an amusement park?

Strictly speaking however, seems the halacha doesn't address this at all.

...unless you count it as 'avoiding doing dangerous things.'

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 11:58 am
During shiva, lo oleinu, those who are sitting don't leave thier house. I don't see how we can compare.

Interesting that some women say their kids MUST have fleishigs this week yet complain that the camp activities aren't inthe spirit of the 9 days ... hmmmm

ceo

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 12:43 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Interesting that some women say their kids MUST have fleishigs this week yet complain that the camp activities aren't inthe spirit of the 9 days ... hmmmm

Ummm...did you just make something up, or did you actually read it somewhere?

Who says its the same people?

I am mentioning what my posek says, not what some whiny lady on the internet is saying.

shalhevet

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 2:27 pm
chocolate moose wrote:

I also am not so certain that it's the same posters, but I wonder why you think this is strange. You seem to think not eating fleishig is much more chamur (stringent). There could be lots of valid reasons why someone may be allowed to eat fleishig (eg allergies, just a picky young child, weakness, low iron etc.). There are reasons in the SA/MB itself.

Whereas why would there be a heter for an older child to do things not in the spirit of the nine days? No one is going to have their (physical) health affected. Obviously it depends on the age/ circumstances/ what activity, but as in a general idea I think over-enjoyable activities for children old enough to understand is much more problematic than eating chicken.

All I can tell you, OP, is that children in EY are also on vacation (the girls at least) and in the chareidi world any organized activities this week are serious (I.e shiurim, trips to Yerushalayim/ the kotel, presentations about sad events etc.).

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 25 2012, 9:22 pm
I don't think it's the same people, but if parents wants their kids to eat fleishigs because they think they need it, and then say that aveilus isn't incumbant on a child, I dunno. I don't see how they can pick and choose, really.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note