Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Can I cook Matzah Balls in the soup? or...
Previous  1  2

shanie5

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 3:32 pm
thank you for the recipe mishie. I have one similar, but this gives me other ways to "tweak" it.

Matzoh balls:

1/4 cup oil (or melted margerine)
1/4 cup water
4 eggs
1 tsp salt
dash or 3 pepper
1 cup matzoh meal
1/2 tsp baking powder

mix in order given.
refridgerate at least 1/2 hour
boil in soup or salted water 20 minutes

works great for me every time

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 3:41 pm
The way to get the matzo balls cooking in soup is to make sure the soup is mostly cooked and then to boiling point this way there are no clouds.
Do you make the mb too big maybe that is why center is hard and outside soft?
I think I'll make my veggie matzo ball soup too.

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 3:50 pm
Please don't throw those light and fluffy matzah balls at me, but I actually prefer them slightly hard (now the hard ones you can toss.) Not rock hard, but with a bit of firmness to them.

Okay, I have weird tastes. I will hide my face due to the mortification. embarrassed Smile

shanie5

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 3:52 pm
hindarochel, I know people who only like them if they are hard enuf to break a window when thrown!!!!!!

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 3:53 pm
LOL...not that hard! But light and fluffly makes me feel I'm not getting my eatings worth!!

I sometimes add parsley to my matzah balls. Does anyone else do this?

mumoo

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 4:00 pm
My mother makes perfect fluff-balls so of course, father grew to like only this kind.

Once at dinner at the home of an inlaw's in-law, my mother said all of a sudden, she feels a tapping on her knee, and under the table she is handed a wet napkin holding 3 hard kneidleloch.

Like golfballs, my father explains. Mommy had to hide them in her purse all night and take them home.

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 4:16 pm
Quote:
My mother makes perfect fluff-balls so of course, father grew to like only this kind.

Once at dinner at the home of an inlaw's in-law, my mother said all of a sudden, she feels a tapping on her knee, and under the table she is handed a wet napkin holding 3 hard kneidleloch.

Like golfballs, my father explains. Mommy had to hide them in her purse all night and take them home.

I'm so glad I wasn't drinking my coffee when I read this!!! I have this picture of a black snap purse with shoulder strapped filled with Matzah balls!!!!

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 4:33 pm
HindaRochel wrote:

I sometimes add parsley to my matzah balls. Does anyone else do this?

My mom. I like mine in between not fluffy and not hard

and that pocket (book) story was hilarious Rolling Laughter

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 4:36 pm
Yup, the recipe I use calls for parsley.

cindy324

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 10:54 pm
Thanks all, I will test out your suggestions.

Quote:
hindarochel, I know people who only like them if they are hard enuf to break a window when thrown!!!!!!

You can send them straight to my house then just make sure to tell them to knock , I wouldn't want to mistake them for intruders and throw one at them and kill 'em!

ButterflyGarden

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 10:21 am
I put lots and lots of garlic in mine. They come out like a little piece of heaven, the yeshiva boys always ask for seconds.

epavard

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 10:36 am
I always cook mine in the soup. They just don't taste the same cooked in water, IMHO. They do absorb a lot of soup, but that's why they taste so good (that and the SCHMALTZ!).

Okay, I'm the schmaltz queen. I do not know how to make Ashkenazi food without schmaltz. I make my matzoh balls with schmaltz, of course. And, BTW, schmaltz is healthier than margerine :-)
Okay, it's not healthy, but I'd rather eat schmaltz and go a little sooner. Is that so terrible??

Recipe:
3 heaping tablespoons of schmaltz
4 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
matzoh meal

Beat eggs, schmaltz, salt and pepper about 5 minutes, until foamy. Gradually add in enough matzoh meal (not cake meal) until it just starts to thicken. It should still drip thickly from beaters. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes, then refrigerate for several hours.

Bring soup to boil, wet hands, gently pass small amount of batter from palm to palm to round, them let slide into soup. When all the matzoh balls are in the pot, partially cover pot and let simmer for 45 minutes, gently turning matzoh balls once.

If you want the schmaltz recipe, just ask.

These are fluffy, soft matzoh balls. No seltzer, no stiff egg whites. It's the schmaltz and knowing when to stop adding the matzoh meal. After a few tries, you'll know how much to use.

For my very large family (kenna hora), I make a triple recipe.

trafficgal

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 11:25 pm
My husband and father both like their's hard as rocks so that is what I make (well I'm not exactly consistant but who cares right?) LOL

Tefila

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 11:48 pm
Quote:
My husband and father both like their's hard as rocks

ME TOO Smile
But the rest of my crew nope so I do make them soft oh well what we do for our fams Tongue Out
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics