Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
To all you New Yawkers...
1  2  3  Next

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 7:18 pm
Do you have a New York accent? LOL

I don't think I do, but some people out of New York think I do. There are others who are surprised when I tell them I'm from NY. I tried to get rid of it when I was in high school. No matter how hard I try I still say words with a double t like a New Yorker according to my cousin from LA.

I put this in this section just in case anyone wants to answer anon.

granolamom

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 7:37 pm
I have a strong NY accent but I dont say the double t. I think that's a jewish-brooklyn thing. a friend of mine has been living in lakewood for a few years and she picked that up there.
and personally, I <heart> my NY accent

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 7:43 pm
granolamom wrote:
a friend of mine has been living in lakewood for a few years and she picked that up there.

I had a classmate who at the time lived in Georgia and everyplace she lived afterwards, she picked up on their accent. I guess it makes sense. I also have a friend that lived in Detroit and NY and boy oh boy, does she have a strange accent. Nothing against detroiters, I have family there.

Sherri

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 7:50 pm
Double t? Can you give me an example?

yo'ma

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 7:54 pm
Sherri wrote:

My cousin said that when I say a word with a double t, I put too much emphasis on the t's.

joy613

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 9:56 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Sherri wrote:

My cousin said that when I say a word with a double t, I put too much emphasis on the t's.

I'm not sure what you mean. When you say butter, what does it sound like? do you say budder? or something else?

STovah

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 10:01 pm
I never thought I had a NY accent (I pronounce words with the "R" sound and now "aw", for example), until I went to a national training from my office and was pegged as a NYer by some people from the Midwest the minute I opened my mouth. I have no idea what the double T is.

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 10:34 pm
Hashem loves me wrote:
yo'ma wrote:
Sherri wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean. When you say butter, what does it sound like? do you say budder? or something else?

When they say hat, it comes out like a two syllable t.

eatingbagels

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 10:51 pm
Squishy wrote:
Hashem loves me wrote:
yo'ma wrote:
Sherri wrote:

You mean they use the alveolar stop (tip of tongue to the alveolar ridge) instead of a glottal stop (produced by obstructing airflow in the vocal tract)?

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 10:57 pm
eatingbagels wrote:
Squishy wrote:
Hashem loves me wrote:
yo'ma wrote:
Sherri wrote:

You mean they use the alveolar stop (tip of tongue to the alveolar ridge) instead of a glottal stop (produced by obstructing airflow in the vocal tract)?

Huh? Yeah, that is what I meant to say.

shanie5

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 11:14 pm
When I first moved away from NY I was pegged as a girl from brooklyn as soon as I opened my mouth. 15 years later it doesnt happen as often.

But yesterday someone said I was from brooklyn just by the hat I was wearing! Its similar to the one in my avatar. I never wore these hats in brooklyn-I only started wearing them a few months after I moved out!

checkbefore

Post Tue, Jul 31 2012, 11:19 pm
I thought the NY accent was a glottal t not alveolar. So they would pronounce /kitten/ as /ki-in/ (not using ipa bec don't know how on my kindle and not everyone knows it.)

amother

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 10:07 am
I have a NY accent because I saw yawwwn and tawk and cawl

checkbefore

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 10:11 am
ME TOO!

crl

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 10:33 am
I had a weird conglomerate of accents before I met my husband -- It was a mixture of Philly, Midwest and Canadian...I'm not sure why. I always pronounce t's -- it's ManhaTTAN, not Manha'en or bu'en (button) or something like that. Or, when someone from NY ends a sentence in "But", it sounds like "Bu'h..." (As in "I went to the store, bu'h..."

Now, I still have a conglomerate accent but with some Staten Island mixed in like " 'Ey! Ahhr you tawkin' to me?" So now I say "Lets get CAWfee in ManhaTTAN." To New Yorkers, I sound super out of town, and to everyone else, I "tawk" too fast. Smile

Phonetically it translates weird, but...thats me, haha. I live in fear that my kids will grow up sounding like Robert DeNiro...

amother

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 2:11 pm
Queens-born and bred, but having foreign-born parents, one of whom was raised in New England, helped me to not develop the dreaded New Yawk accent.

But riding the train into the city from Long Island every day and having to listen to that horrible "Lon-giland" accent makes me cringe. Can't get much worse than that!

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 2:18 pm
shanie5 wrote:
When I first moved away from NY I was pegged as a girl from brooklyn as soon as I opened my mouth. 15 years later it doesnt happen as often.

But yesterday someone said I was from brooklyn just by the hat I was wearing! Its similar to the one in my avatar. I never wore these hats in brooklyn-I only started wearing them a few months after I moved out!

I was pegged as being from Manhattan because I wore stockings. I looked around and noticed I was the only one.

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 2:28 pm
when you are pegged as sounding like 'the nanny' aka fran drescher ... you know you're from brooklyn

fuhgeddaboudit !!! Peace sign

gp2.0

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 3:07 pm
Huh. I do say Man'ha'en. Maybe Man'ha'in. And dollahs. I say New Yawrrk though. Love accents.

granolamom

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 3:39 pm
Sherri wrote:

I think she means the hard t at the end of a word. like instead of saying 'art' it sounds like 'arttte'. you hear it mostly at the end of the word (btw, can be a d thing too, like wor-de) but in extreme cases in the middle of the word too (but-Tuhr instead of butter)

I know many non jews, secular jews and more modern jews from bklyn who do not do this t thing, so I dont think its 'NY accent' but 'frum/charedi ny accenttte'
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating