Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Which book? (about AD[H]D)

seeker

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 8:33 pm
I want a book that will help with practical advice. Can't handle two right now, it'll be an accomplishment if I get through one and I don't want to waste money buying more than I'll read at this time.

These are the two I'm considering:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....X0DER
http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....X0DER
One is called "You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?" and the other is "Delivered from Distraction."
From the table of contents it looks like Delivered has more about things like nutrition and exercise, which could be good to know, while the other has more organization tips and such, also good to know. Hmm.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 01 2012, 8:42 pm
Hallowell is the man when it comes to adhd. But I'm not familiar enough with the two books to definitively say you should choose it over the other. Both are highly recommended.

Now, wasn't that helpful :/

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 8:04 am
I know, and I like the look of his book, but it also seemed that half to 2/3 of the book (based on table of contents) is background, theory, diagnosis, etc while I'm more interested in the practical strategies. However the last portion of the book does deal with strategies. I'm just wondering if he really addresses it thoroughly after all the other stuff... I guess I could buy it and see. I can't get these from the library at this point, I know it will take me a long time to go through them and can't deal with renewing/returning/reborrowing until I finish (or, more likely, paying the fines when I don't)

Sherri

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 10:10 am
I asked someone with ADD who read both, she though DFD is more strategy-based.

leah66

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 4:20 pm
Lazy Stupid Crazy is more fun to read. (and if you're add that means more likely to finish) It has pictures Mr. Green

For practical advice I recommend Add Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life

Sherri

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 4:35 pm
leah666 wrote:
Lazy Stupid Crazy is more fun to read. (and if you're add that means more likely to finish) It has pictures Mr. Green

For practical advice I recommend Add Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life
Yeah, she said that, too Smile

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 02 2012, 9:15 pm
Oh great, a third book to consider now! heh. Thanks for the reviews. Maybe some others will chime in and help break the tie? Book choosing by popular vote... if only I had time to go to Barnes & Noble or something and leaf through some books myself to find one that calls out...

leah66

Post Fri, Aug 03 2012, 5:16 am
Delivered From Distractions is written by a Dr, and Lazy stupid crazy is written by 2 ADD coaches, so they are slightly different.

Delivered (which I only skimmed through because it's pretty much a repeat of Driven to Distractions) is more factual, and as you said, has more medical/health advice. If you are considering medication, diet changes, brain exercises, or neurofeedback then this is the book for you.

Lazy, stupid, crazy is entertaining and more about boosting your self esteem, changing your perspective, and giving you ideas for day to day management. It's a good book to help you deal with feeling overwhelmed and alone. It covers the basics about medication.

None of the practical advice will be earth shattering. Both books will tell you to set goals, take small steps, get rid of piles etc.

seeker

Post Fri, Aug 03 2012, 8:33 am
Thanks, Leah, that comparison really was helpful! It points me more towards Lazy, Stupid, and Crazy. How would you compare that to ADD Friendly Ways?

leah66

Post Fri, Aug 03 2012, 10:25 am
Glad I could help.

ADD Friendly Ways is an organizing book written specifically for ADD people. The authors understands that the ADD brain works a bit differently and gives tips accordingly. The layout and writing are also ADD friendly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room