Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Woodbury commons area

avi0903

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 6:45 am
Hi - I'm still looking for ideas. I was planning on Cooperstown, but it seems that would be good for my son but not necessarily for my daughter. She is interested in Woodbury Commons. Does anyone know of a good place to stay there, and what might be in that area that would also keep a teenage boy interested? We are planning on a 3 day/2 night vacation. Cooperstown is not nearby to Woodbury Commons, is it?Thanks!

Simple1

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 7:08 am
Not specifically for teens, but bear mountain is a nice family park. There's a park, and then a place to drive the car to the top.

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 7:09 am
avi0903 wrote:
Hi - I'm still looking for ideas. I was planning on Cooperstown, but it seems that would be good for my son but not necessarily for my daughter. She is interested in Woodbury Commons. Does anyone know of a good place to stay there, and what might be in that area that would also keep a teenage boy interested? We are planning on a 3 day/2 night vacation. Cooperstown is not nearby to Woodbury Commons, is it?Thanks!

There are state parks nearby and West Point. There are boats on the Hudson. There are typical things like bowling, go-carts, mini golf, batting cages. You can take trips to various historic sites.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 11:31 am
you mean woodbury commons in monroe, right? There is a nice new hampton inn hotel abt a mile from the commons. You can take ur son to the castle fun park.. Perfect for boys. It's about 15 min from monroe

amother

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 11:42 am
monroe groceries and pizza shops deliver to that hotel as well. So it might be the perfect vacation for you!

avi0903

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 2:36 pm
I didn't realize Woodbury Commons is in Monroe. I thought it was in the Catskills. Is that the same thing? Now I know I'm sounding ridiculous, but I'm not from the area. All I know is my daughter said Woodbury Commons has great shopping and I thought she said it's in the Catskills. Thanks so much for all your information. If it's near Monroe, then is there a lot of kosher food?

abby1776

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 3:04 pm
Monroe is not the Catskills.

You are confusing Woodbury with Woodburne.

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 3:04 pm
avi0903 wrote:
I didn't realize Woodbury Commons is in Monroe. I thought it was in the Catskills. Is that the same thing? Now I know I'm sounding ridiculous, but I'm not from the area. All I know is my daughter said Woodbury Commons has great shopping and I thought she said it's in the Catskills. ThankIs so much for all your information. If it's near Monroe, then is there a lot of kosher food?

WC is not in Monroe. It is nearby. There are Kosher hot vending machines there. You can eat milhag lunch at three resturants I know of in Monroe. For dinner you can go to Monsey or Teaneck. Of course there are great supermarkets. One place in Monsey delivers to Monroe daily perhaps they would deliver to you.

WC is a top drawing tourist destination. How old is your son?

avi0903

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 3:51 pm
Thanks for all the replies. My son is 14. I didn't know Woodbury Commons was a tourist destination - just knew my daughter wanted to go shopping there. My son might like West Point if it's really close. Is it a fun place to go? Anything else good around? Thanks again for any info to make our vacation enjoyable!

almost

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 4:43 pm
What about Museum Village. It's a 19th century village with demonstrations and costumed interpreters. Your son might find it interesting. Also, I think Bear Mountain has paddleboat rentals. They also have a zoo.

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 8:04 pm
avi0903 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. My son is 14. I didn't know Woodbury Commons was a tourist destination - just knew my daughter wanted to go shopping there. My son might like West Point if it's really close. Is it a fun place to go? Anything else good around? Thanks again for any info to make our vacation enjoyable!

West Point is really close. You pass some nice parks on the way there. One of the top 4 most scenic roads in the US is 218. They film BMW commercials there among others. I would drive into Cornwall-on-Hudson there. They have a place to rent kyack boats. You can also see Banerman's Island which is a blown up castle ruin. It is very picturesque. Cruise shops turn around there from NYC. You can take a boat to the Island. West Point has a museum which is very nice. You can also take a tour. Make sure you have proper ID if you want to go onto campus. Before 911, you could drive on campus. There are free concerts and paid events such as shows. The free concerts are very fine. Further North is Newburgh landing. There is a ferry ride across to Beacon it has nice antiquing. You can also walk across the Newburgh Beacon Bridge.

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 8:11 pm
almost wrote:
What about Museum Village. It's a 19th century village with demonstrations and costumed interpreters. Your son might find it interesting. Also, I think Bear Mountain has paddleboat rentals. They also have a zoo.

I am not sure what a costumed interpreter is. I went there and loved it. My son was not thrilled. You have to be the type that loves this. I like the zoo walk at Bear mountain. My kids again were not thrilled except for the Bears. It is, too crowded on Sundays for me. I would advise you to go early. They have the Appalachian trail and a nice viewing tower.

avi0903

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 1:24 pm
Thank you all for your replies and your help. I think we have decided that there is enough to keep everyone happy at the Woodbury Commons general area. Thank you so much!

mommyhood

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 1:38 pm
Squishy wrote:
avi0903 wrote:
I didn't realize Woodbury Commons is in Monroe. I thought it was in the Catskills. Is that the same thing? Now I know I'm sounding ridiculous, but I'm not from the area. All I know is my daughter said Woodbury Commons has great shopping and I thought she said it's in the Catskills. ThankIs so much for all your information. If it's near Monroe, then is there a lot of kosher food?

WC is not in Monroe. It is nearby. There are Kosher hot vending machines there. You can eat milhag lunch at three resturants I know of in Monroe. For dinner you can go to Monsey or Teaneck. Of course there are great supermarkets. One place in Monsey delivers to Monroe daily perhaps they would deliver to you.

Woodbury commons is close to an hour from Teaneck. Probably not worth the drive if you're just going for dinner. It's closer to Monsey but still far maybe 30-40 minutes.

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 1:55 pm
mommyhood wrote:
Squishy wrote:
avi0903 wrote:

Woodbury commons is close to an hour from Teaneck. Probably not worth the drive if you're just going for dinner. It's closer to Monsey but still far maybe 30-40 minutes.

WC is 35 miles from Teaneck about 45 minutes. It takes me the same amount of time to get to Monsey maybe a little less but not much. AFAIK, there are no dinner resturants in Orange County. There are only milchags for lunch. OP might want a nice sit down meal.

The resturants in Teaneck are better overall than the resturants in Monsey IMO and are worth the extra few minutes driving to them.

OMG!

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 2:00 pm
there are fleishig restaurants in monroe for take out. The commons are 5 minutes from monroe.. Y shlep to monsey for food?

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 2:14 pm
OMG! wrote:
there are fleishig restaurants in monroe for take out. The commons are 5 minutes from monroe.. Y shlep to monsey for food?

I will go you one better. I drive from Monsey to meet my friend in Monroe and then we go to Teaneck to eat.

While, there is wonderful takeout food in Monroe. I like to eat in a restaurant. OP may like one also or she may not.

When I go to WC, I go for a few hours. Yes I do go to lunch in Monroe if I am with ladies from Monroe otherwise not. OP is thinking of visiting for several days. Perhaps she wants a nice supper. I know my family gets a little disappointed with take out constantly. Also, IMO it is better to eat out st the end of the day than in the middle.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics