Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
They want my curriculum - WWYD
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 1:08 pm
I worked really really hard last at my teaching job last year. However, I was told, the day after school ended, that I wouldn't be coming back next year. No reason given, just was told that it hadn't worked out, which was surprising as I'd never had negative feedback from the principal or parents and no real issues with the class.

A new Rebbi has moved to town and is teaching in the school and his wife was given my position. I was asked 3 times in the weeks leading up to the end of school if wanted to come back next year and always said yes, so it was upsetting but I can't complain as no one at the school is on a contract so I can't complain to anyone. B"H I found a job of sorts so we still have some parnose coming in from me.

The thing is - the school is now asking me for my curriculum. The school has no curriculum, so I basically worked one out as I was going along, from text books and other resources that I found, and a lot of worksheets made from scratch and it worked for me, B"H. I am very organised, so I have everything filed into a file and also on my computer, for each subject, everything would be very easy for another person to follow.

My husband tells me no way should I give over my curriculum. The school treated me badly, they don't get my curriculum, end of story. I feel a bit bad for the new teacher, though. I know she asked someone for my number so she could speak to me and they didn't give it to her so I assume she needs it . Is it fair that she doesn't get the fruits of my labours, just because she was put in my position? I don't want to make myself a doormat but I also believe that what goes around comes around and anyways, it's almost Ellul and choshbon nefesh time.

What would you do? Give the curriculum or tell them all to get lost?

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 1:11 pm
I would absolutely not give over the curriculum.

Lizie22

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 1:14 pm
I would not give it either.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 1:14 pm
Certainly not.

Imhappy!

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 1:15 pm
wow. its a hard position to be in.
seems like your a nice person with good middos and you feel like you should be giving your currculem b/c why not be nice. but like you said you don't wanna be a doormat.
imho it's not an expected thing - not rennewing your job then asking for the curriculum.
can you speak to the school/principle and ask for some kind of payment ( it's a lot of hours work in there)
I think the best is for you to speak about it so that it doesnt sit and fester in you.
don't let yourself be upset with the new teacher it's not her fault - but remember that you are not chiyuv to give over your stuff. its a favor your doing them.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 1:16 pm
I just left my teaching job where I've been working for quite a number of years. I wasn't asked to leave, but I didn't leave on the greatest of terms. I taught a few grades there, and most of the new teachers asked me for my stuff. I told them that I'm not accustomed to sharing my hard work, and they should do what they can themselves, and call me if they need help. I think in your case you could leave out that last line.

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 1:16 pm
I don't know how it works in schools since I am not a teacher, but is a full curriculum something that typically costs money? I would assume the school has to buy a curriculum or hire someone to create one. If so offer yours for a fee. Otherwise be polite but firm and say no.

Happy18

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 1:19 pm
DO NOT GIVE HER YOUR CURRICULUM.

Ok now that I have shared my opinion, in all seriousness unless a school has a contract saying that your curriculum is to be left in the school you should not. Especially because of the way they treated you. Yes you feel bad for the next person who comes in and has to develop the curriculum but that is not ur problem. I know of several schools that pay teachers to develop curriculum that is a different case.

Tell them its yours and you are not sharing, they waited way too long to tell you they didnt have a position for you. You owe them nothing. Its nice that the next person needs it but she will develop a curriculum just like you did.

Unless they are paying you a substantial sum do not share it.

Faigy86

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 1:20 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I don't know how it works in schools since I am not a teacher, but is a full curriculum something that typically costs money? I would assume the school has to buy a curriculum or hire someone to create one. If so offer yours for a fee. Otherwise be polite but firm and say no.

This - do some research as to what price would be acceptable and tell the school that you are willing to sell it for that price. You developed it, you can charge for it.

justcallmeima

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 1:20 pm
I would estimate the amount of time you worked on the curriculum, and multiply the number of hours by $40 or $50, depending on the salary for school administrators who write curricula and teaching materials in your area, and tell them you would be happy to sell it to them for that amount. If they don't take you up on your offer, (which I would imagine they probably will not) it's their loss. Your time and work and effort is worth money. Schools have to pay money to have curricula and teaching materials. Why on earth should they get yours for free? Hatzlacha rabah!

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 2:22 pm
The question is who owns your work product? Do you have the ability to sell it to them; or was it developed as part of your responsibilities which you were paid for? Arguably, you could not have done your job without a curriculum. Also, might you want to get a good referral.

I feel very bad for you.

Hatzloucha.

nicole81

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 2:25 pm
I agree with everyone above.

Furthermore, I don't think you need to feel bad because they way a teacher becomes great is through practice. It may be hard on the new teacher at first, however if she is forced to begin writing her own units and lessons, she will quickly learn what works for her students and what doesn't, and practice the valuable skill of assessment and revision.

Reflective practice is the best practice, and being spoon fed a curriculum has never helped a teacher improve. Don't feel guilty.

Faigy86

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 2:28 pm
Squishy wrote:
The question is who owns your work product? Do you have the ability to sell it to them; or was it developed as part of your responsibilities which you were paid for? Arguably, you could not have done your job without a curriculum. Also, might you want to get a good referral.

I feel very bad for you.

Hatzloucha.

If developing the curriculum was part of her job, then this new teacher should be doing the same thing or she should have been paid a much higher salary, which it doesn't seem like she was.

Happy18

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 2:34 pm
Faigy86 wrote:
Squishy wrote:

I feel very bad for you.

Hatzloucha.

If developing the curriculum was part of her job, then this new teacher should be doing the same thing or she should have been paid a much higher salary, which it doesn't seem like she was.

If it was part of her job she should have had a contract. Since she didnt op has no obligations to the school

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 2:36 pm
Faigy86 wrote:
Squishy wrote:

I feel very bad for you.

Hatzloucha.

How can a teacher teach effectively without a curriculum? I am not trying to be argumentative, I don't understand. If I hire an employee and they developed a protocol how to do their job, then they own the protocol?

Do you think the admin will see it the way most posters in the thread do? I liked the answer the poster above you gave. She is giving a valid principled reason not to give up something she will resent doing.

Faigy86

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 2:54 pm
Squishy wrote:
Faigy86 wrote:
Squishy wrote:

I feel very bad for you.

Hatzloucha.

How can a teacher teach effectively without a curriculum? I am not trying to be argumentative, I don't understand. If I hire an employee and they developed a protocol how to do their job, then they own the protocol?

Do you think the admin will see it the way most posters in the thread do? I liked the answer the poster above you gave. She is giving a valid principled reason not to give up something she will resent doing.

I hear you. I'm not sure. I'm thinking - for example, someone I knows has developed multiple patents for the company they work for. The patents are acquired in the companies name because that is the agreement. Other jobs require non-competition agreements to be signed if what they are doing can be easily transferred and the company doesn't want that to happen. If there is no such agreement, I would assume that it belongs to the teacher, just like all her worksheets etc.

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 3:01 pm
Writing a curriculum is the schools' duty.
A teacher does not have to make up a curriculum. In my books, lesson plans & stencils are not part of a curriculum & belong to the person who developed them!

That OP had to develop a curriculum because the school had none.
The chutzpah is for the school to send her away & then ask her to hand over hours of work!
From what I understand, she was not paid to write a curriculum or develop lessons & stencils to be filed & re-used by others.

OP, you have absolutely no obligation towards the school.
If they ask you for your files, tell them "I don't believe we had an agreement that my work stays with the school."
Bring up a price only if you are interested in your work being used by others.

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 3:07 pm
I agree it is chuzpahdik what her replacement is doing. I just don't know if it is that clear cut management will see it that way.

I think it is not clear cut which is why there are employment agreements.

Hatzloucha OP.

havefaith

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 3:07 pm
If they pay you a lot maybe?

rosehill

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 3:09 pm
OP, if I were in your shoes, there would be NO WAY I would be able to find it within my heart to give the curriculum.

That said, it is neither the fault of the children, nor of the new teacher, that this happened to you. It is likely that the new teacher doesn't even know the circumstances of your departure! Therefore, it would be a really really nice thing to let her use your material. It only makes her life easier, doesn't really effect those in the school who mistreated you. Though if you can get paid for it, that's even better.

But you're certainly not doing anything wrong by holding on to your property.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics