Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
They want my curriculum - WWYD
Previous  1  2  3

imaima

Post Wed, Aug 08 2012, 7:07 am
amother wrote:
I worked really really hard last at my teaching job last year. However, I was told, the day after school ended, that I wouldn't be coming back next year. No reason given, just was told that it hadn't worked out, which was surprising as I'd never had negative feedback from the principal or parents and no real issues with the class.

A new Rebbi has moved to town and is teaching in the school and his wife was given my position. I was asked 3 times in the weeks leading up to the end of school if wanted to come back next year and always said yes, so it was upsetting but I can't complain as no one at the school is on a contract so I can't complain to anyone. B"H I found a job of sorts so we still have some parnose coming in from me.

The thing is - the school is now asking me for my curriculum. The school has no curriculum, so I basically worked one out as I was going along, from text books and other resources that I found, and a lot of worksheets made from scratch and it worked for me, B"H. I am very organised, so I have everything filed into a file and also on my computer, for each subject, everything would be very easy for another person to follow.

My husband tells me no way should I give over my curriculum. The school treated me badly, they don't get my curriculum, end of story. I feel a bit bad for the new teacher, though. I know she asked someone for my number so she could speak to me and they didn't give it to her so I assume she needs it . Is it fair that she doesn't get the fruits of my labours, just because she was put in my position? I don't want to make myself a doormat but I also believe that what goes around comes around and anyways, it's almost Ellul and choshbon nefesh time.

What would you do? Give the curriculum or tell them all to get lost?

There is no way you should give it to her. If you want to be exceptionally menschlich, sell it to her. It will still save her plenty of time. The curriculum is your intellectual property, and you need parnasa too.

imaima

Post Wed, Aug 08 2012, 7:22 am
Faigy86 wrote:
Squishy wrote:
The question is who owns your work product? Do you have the ability to sell it to them; or was it developed as part of your responsibilities which you were paid for? Arguably, you could not have done your job without a curriculum. Also, might you want to get a good referral.

I feel very bad for you.

Hatzloucha.

If developing the curriculum was part of her job, then this new teacher should be doing the same thing or she should have been paid a much higher salary, which it doesn't seem like she was.

I think it must be in the contract if the school owns everything the teacher creates during work. As there was no contract, she doesn't owe them anything.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics