Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Briefcases and bottles

db1

Post Thu, Aug 09 2012, 7:45 pm
( or is it the other way around? Wink
What's it like? Inspirational? Practical tips? I'm going back to work, and with 3 under 3 I can definitely use lots of tips for juggling it all (more than the usual- cook double and freeze, take an hr for yourself, etc) I was considering buying it for myself(I NEVER buy books) but if it's nothing special...

SacN

Post Thu, Aug 09 2012, 7:50 pm
I just finished the book yesterday!

I overall liked it, but it's more parenting stories and tips specifically geared toward the working mother than it is practical organization and management tips. I also did find it a bit repetitive. Basically, don't feel bad about working and don't give over any of that feeling to your kids, involve your kids in your work life as much as you can so they feel included, know your rights as far as pumping/days off and flexibility in the workplace and ideas on finding good childcare.

It's cute, and overall a nice read, but nothing fantastic.

syrima

Post Thu, Aug 09 2012, 9:42 pm
I know the author, and she really did work full time while having young kids. So she has lived it. I guess the stories are there to make us laugh and normalize a situation which can be stressful.
No guilt feelings might be a little hard to manage though, IMO.

with a smile :)

Post Fri, Aug 10 2012, 3:23 am
SacN wrote:
I just finished the book yesterday!

I overall liked it, but it's more parenting stories and tips specifically geared toward the working mother than it is practical organization and management tips. I also did find it a bit repetitive. Basically, don't feel bad about working and don't give over any of that feeling to your kids, involve your kids in your work life as much as you can so they feel included, know your rights as far as pumping/days off and flexibility in the workplace and ideas on finding good childcare.

It's cute, and overall a nice read, but nothing fantastic.

I think we all need to remember that hilchos lashon hara also apply to book reviews. Not to mention what this kind of statement does to an author. Writers are people with feelings, too!

You say that you liked it, it was cute, and a nice read, but you end off with "nothing fantastic." That's a punch in the gut for the author, and pretty much negates all the positives that you mentioned before.

Taking a look at what you wrote, it seems to me that this book offers a lot of really useful information for a mother going to work! I work at home, but if I was going into an office setting, I would definitely want to know my rights, how to deal with my employers so that I was able to be the kind of mother I want to be and also not sacrifice my professionalism or value to the company. I also have no idea how I would involve my kids in my work... so that would certainly be very helpful information. And you said there are lots of stories. Stories are fun to read, but when they're included in a how-to book they also usually provide a broader picture that you wouldn't get otherwise.

It sounds like this book is a very balanced blend of inspiration and practical advice. It's not a book on organization and household management, but then, that's not what it's supposed to be.

No one book can or should be everything, and if we stay away from platitudes like "fantastic" and just stick to what's included, people should still be able to figure out if it's what they're looking for without getting into lashon hara, or hurting someone's feelings and/or income.

Marriedinisrael

Post Fri, Aug 10 2012, 5:03 am
There's actually another thread about it in the Working Women safe haven here:

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....cases

I really enjoyed it, as did many other moms on that thread.

SacN

Post Fri, Aug 10 2012, 9:14 am
"I think we all need to remember that hilchos lashon hara also apply to book reviews. Not to mention what this kind of statement does to an author. Writers are people with feelings, too!"

You are 100% right-I should've written something else significantly less subjective. Whether or not the author invested herself (and this author obviously did), it's still her opinions and research reflected, and I have no toeles reason to comment on those things.
Nobody should listen to me!

Thank you for the kind words of mussar! Yasher Koach for reminding me in such a nice way.

cliche

Post Tue, Sep 04 2012, 12:25 am
I just read this book. As a new mother who is planning on going back to work (but wishes I didn't have to) I found it calmed me down and helped me a lot. It has tons of practical tips and pointers, and while I am still very nervous about so many things, especially leaving my baby and finding a babysitter, the book gave me a lot of great ideas. It also made me feel less alone and a little encouraged that I can still be a good mommy and close to my baby even if I am away from her for so many hours and that is really what I needed to hear.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room