Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Treatment keeps girl child-sized

rainbow baby

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 5:24 pm
What do you think about this? A girl who is severely disabled in the US has had her uterus and appendix removed because the drs have said it will help her. But it means that she will never develop and she will always be in a six year olds body.

So is this treatments ethical or not? Are the modern drs taking to much into their own hands? What next what else will they try next? Legalising Euthanasia. This case reminds me of how they used to force mentally ill patients in hospitals to be sterilized. What do you think?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wor.....9.stm

Flowerchild

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 5:29 pm
this is pretty dificult situation, if one has never been in these parents shows I think its quiet difficult to judge or even have an opinion on. but in my view if she is naturally meant to develop then let her develop despite her brain non growth. but then again, maybe the parents are right, maybe it is better for her who knows.

Tefila

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 5:33 pm
Hashem Yerachaim I hope noone I know ever has to ask this question. Sad

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 4:00 pm
That is the craziest thing I ever heard... experimenting for their convenience ...horrible

Hannah!

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 8:30 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Mon, May 05 2008, 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Piper

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 8:37 pm
well said

tulips

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 9:15 pm
From the parents' blog there is no indication that the surgery was experimental.
After reading about 'The Ashley Treatment' all I could say is, "Men zull nisht gepreevt verin tzu darfen machen aza decision" Taking care of children such as Ashley is physically very very very taxing and takes a toll on caretakers' health. The bed sores is an additional concern. Imagine having to change positions of a hundred-something pounder all day long. Imagine lifting a hundred-something pounder off the bed into the wheelchair, into the car, out of the car, into the feeding chair, onto the bed for diaper changing, onto the floor for some physical therapy, back into the day chair, onto the bed, into the bathtub, out of the bathtub, etc. etc. etc. etc. You gotta live it to believe it! Arresting the child's growth allows him/her to remain at an already-heavy-enough 60-70 pounds, thus making his care soooooo much easier.
May the Ribono Shel Olam spare us from ever having to come close to thinking of such options as Ashley's parents have had to consider.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 10 2007, 9:32 pm
I don't know where you guys come from but that is an experiment - they have no business changing someone's body cause they think it will be more of a convenience - I think it's wrong

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 5:33 am
well said Hannah and tulips Thumbs Up

tulips wrote:

May the Ribono Shel Olam spare us from ever having to come close to thinking of such options as Ashley's parents have had to consider.

Omein.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 9:18 am
As a parent of a child with issues, I can fully relate to both sides of the story. Think for a moment what it means for a 150lb 14 year old girl - overweight from lack of excersize and being immobile - for the parents, try lifting, bathing and dressing this child. try dealing with her getting her period and hygiene issues for an incontinent child. For the child, getting in and out of a bed, wheelchair and changing her diaper. It's uncomfortable for the child the heavier she gets and the harder it is for parents and caregivers to lift her. Parents think twice before taking the child out to the park or mall if she is so difficult to ambulate and dress.
It also becomes harder for an immobile child to breathe as the child gets bigger and heavier. On the other hand, putting a child through surgery is a very difficult decision. Before you people judge - having never been in the shoes of a mom with a child like that, think for a moment!!!
Don't judge - You don't understand what it entails and what agonizing decisions parents must sometimes make in the best interest of the child.
You should never have to be in a position to think about such decisions!
I don't necessarily agree with the concept but I definately don't think she's wrong!!!

Hannah!

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 1:59 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Mon, May 05 2008, 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

rainbow baby

Post Thu, Jan 11 2007, 2:11 pm
I'am sorry if I upset anyone with this post that was not my intention, I promise. I like to debate news stories and get other peoples opinions that is all.

After speaking this whole issue over with someone I know understand why parents would let their child undergo such a procedure, I.e, the child in a few years will get to big for them to cope with, bed sores and of course the onset of periods which will probably be distressing to both the child and their parents.

But I still feel at times drs do take things in their own hands and this distresses me.

You are right I do not know what it is like BH and I can also promise you I was in no way judging you I respect and admire any parent that has a child like this. Hatzlocha and may Hashem give you all the strength and help you need.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics