Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Sales tax on Ebay unfair charge:(

amother

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 9:31 pm
I just purchased an $89 dress on ebay. I pressed buy it now and commit to buy and all off a sudden the total price was $96 because they had charged me sales tax. I was never yet charged tax on ebay. Also, I live in NY is there even sales tax on clothing under $110? I'm really upset because I wasn't even sure if I wanted to spend $89 on the dress and now for $96 I definitely wouldn't have bought it. So, my question is could the seller charge me separately for sales tax if she didn't write she would and also is the sales tax even applicable here?

Chavelamomela

Post Thu, Aug 16 2012, 6:02 am
contact the seller and request an adjustment to the final price before you send payment.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 16 2012, 6:44 am
I think it's normal that they charge tax on eBay although most sellers don't go through the trouble.

That being said however since you live in NY and it was under 100 dollars they can't charge you tax and if they are shipping it from out of state they for sure can't charge you tax.

So email them and tell them that.

If you bought a pot and they charged you tax then there really isn't anything you can do that's the law Tax is charged for all the times you got away without paying tax that would have been your luck but it's not really how it's supposed to be.

Hatzlocha!

amother

Post Thu, Aug 16 2012, 11:10 am
Yay, they took off the charge.

happyone

Post Sun, Aug 19 2012, 4:52 am
Glad your charge was adjusted. For the record, anyone with a legal business on eBay has to charge tax in the states they are authorized to do so. Whether shipping or not. I'm authorized to charge tax in NY state and charge for any NY sale. However, it has to be the NY State rate.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics