Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Gas heater or electric?

Which would you choose?
electric heater (dud)  
 0%  [ 0 ]
gas heater  
 50%  [ 2 ]
other, please specify  
 50%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 4

amother

Post Thu, Aug 16 2012, 6:33 am
We b"h bought an apartment in E"Y (on paper). Now the builder asked us which kind of water heater we prefer, gas or electric. The heater will be mounted on the wall of a bathroom that has no window, if that makes a difference. We don't know which is better, because neither of us has actually ever lived in E"Y for any amount of time. Can anyone help us, and is there a third or fourth alternative that's better than gas or electric?

Also, does anyone know if a dud shemesh is standard and comes with every apartment or if we have to put one in ourselves.

sped

Post Thu, Aug 16 2012, 6:58 am
You need to check if there is a dud shemesh. It is definitely worth investing in!
IME, gas heated water seemed to come out cheaper, so long as you turn it on only when you need it, and turn it off after you are done. The water heats up immediatly when you turn it on. Electric heating needs time to heat up.

hila

Post Thu, Aug 16 2012, 7:02 am
Let's start with the dud shemesh - it is law, as far as I know, that every new building (for at least the last 20 years) has to have a dud shemesh.

So I assume you will ahve one - make 100% sure with your builder.

I am not sure what you mean when you say that the water heater is in a closed room. It should be together with the water tank.

I personnally would not use a gas heater anywhere in a closed room. Electric may work out more money but is safer IMO.

I hope your water tank is big enough that, on a sunny day you would not need it.
The water heater is supplimentary, and used in winter and cloudy days.

Welcome !

tizunabi

Post Thu, Aug 16 2012, 7:42 am
I think a gas heater is AMAZING (unlimited 'instant' hot water).
We have both, so in the summer we are on the dud, but if we need hot water in the winter a lot of times it is on the gas heat.
Hila, why not use it in a closed room?

Tamiri

Post Thu, Aug 16 2012, 8:35 am
I think dud shemesh is standard. And isn't an option to operate it with electricity standard? I always thought it was so that on cloudy days you have hot water.
The gas company WILL NOT APPROVE installation of a gas water heater without proper ventilation, which may only mean a vent to the outside (not necessarily a room with a window) but there are codes regarding this - you can't just tack it on the wall.
I would DEFINITELY have an instant gas water heater. No tank is necessary. The intake water flows thru the heater which heats the water with a gas-fueled flame. When you turn the hot water faucet off, the flame dies down. It's a great way to have instant hot water, as much as you need, whenever you need it. Also good if you have an American washing machine.

e1234

Post Thu, Aug 16 2012, 8:56 am
I know the one winter that we used our gas to heat our water - our bill was huge.

since then I don't use the gas for water or electricity

BUT the downside is I have to plan in advance for a good shower in the winter.
when I had gas I don't know why but the water pressure was also worse with the hot water.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Aug 16 2012, 9:08 am
My parents installed a gas heater in the 70s (changed a couple of times since then) and the bills weren't bad, ever. In the old model, we'd turn it off (= no fuel burning) when not in use. The new one I'm not sure about.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 16 2012, 3:18 pm
What's a Junkers? When we were in Israel once, the people whose apartment we stayed at referred to something that sounded like Junkers, but I can't remember what it was.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Aug 16 2012, 3:23 pm
amother wrote:
What's a Junkers? When we were in Israel once, the people whose apartment we stayed at referred to something that sounded like Junkers, but I can't remember what it was.

I think what you're talking about is a Yonkers (sp?) -- a brand name. I believe it was a heater/air-conditioning unit. Could be they also make water heaters.

tizunabi

Post Thu, Aug 16 2012, 4:30 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
amother wrote:

I think what you're talking about is a Yonkers (sp?) -- a brand name. I believe it was a heater/air-conditioning unit. Could be they also make water heaters.

Junkers is a company that makes gas heaters. its pronounced Yunkers.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Aug 16 2012, 4:59 pm
Yes, my parents also called the heater "the Yunkers" as in: turn on the Yunkers so you can shower.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions