Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
ISO nice siddur for tallis/tefilin bag

yo'ma

Post Mon, Aug 27 2012, 11:23 am
When my dh and I went away, he had two siddurim with him and neither were his. One was one of my ds's and the other I don't know. I would like to buy him (one day) one that's nice, strong, and not too big to put in his tallis/tefilin bag that's for him. Strong is very important because we have so many siddurim that are falling apart Sad . I doubt it makes any difference, but we daven nusach sefard. TIA

yo'ma

Post Mon, Aug 27 2012, 7:02 pm
No one ever bought a siddur for their husbands or children before? I obviously don't want to ask my dh.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Aug 27 2012, 7:36 pm
yo'ma wrote:
No one ever bought a siddur for their husbands or children before? I obviously don't want to ask my dh.

It is a very difficult question to answer since it depends on his preference. There are so many kinds of siddurim in different styles.

For example, my black hat yeshivish sons, SILs, prefer a Siddur Vilna (which I would assume is only nusach Ashkenaz).[

I prefer a Bais Tefilah siddur (comes in Ashkenaz & Sfard).

One DIL only uses the Artscroll interlinenear siddur.

Others, prefer the all Hebrew Artscroll.

Others prefer the Hebrew-English Artscroll.

And that is only touching the tip of the iceberg -- there are hundreds of different types/styles of siddurim (plus various sizes of most of them).

yo'ma

Post Mon, Aug 27 2012, 8:37 pm
It is for a tallis/tefilin bag, so not too small or too large. I don't think he has many preferences. In answering your questions at least, so I can get to the tip, he's not yeshivish, only nesach sefard, no interlinear or any english at all and I doubt he needs or cares for an artscroll with all those directions, but it can't hurt. Does that narrow it down a bit Smile ?

ez-pass

Post Mon, Aug 27 2012, 8:48 pm
I got my DH a siddur a for his tallis bag. The only one he wanted was the leather siddur you get in the leather store in Israel. I sent someone going to Israel to buy it for me with hi name on it. He loves it and it is perfect size. ( talking abt the 2nd size not the tiny one)

Happy18

Post Mon, Aug 27 2012, 9:00 pm
Dh uses an the artscroll interlinear, I don't think either of us have ever had that siddur last for more than 4 years without the pages starting to come loose.

September June

Post Mon, Aug 27 2012, 10:43 pm
Why don't you reinforce the binding? IME, most siddurim don't last that long otherwise.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 7:06 am
ez-pass wrote:
I got my DH a siddur a for his tallis bag. The only one he wanted was the leather siddur you get in the leather store in Israel. I sent someone going to Israel to buy it for me with hi name on it. He loves it and it is perfect size. ( talking abt the 2nd size not the tiny one)

Which one are you talking about? What store? My sil lives there and we know people from Israel coming in all the time.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 8:38 am
yo'ma wrote:
ez-pass wrote:

Which one are you talking about? What store? My sil lives there and we know people from Israel coming in all the time.

We just got a gift from Israel, a leather siddur that is zippered, we love it.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Aug 28 2012, 9:11 am
ez-pass wrote:

Those are nice. However, they don't just come in one type. In those stores (I assume you mean THE leather store -- Miller's in Meah Shearim), you can find virtually every type of siddur (Bais Tefila, Vilna, etc.) in the leather binding.

You first need to figure out what kind of inside type he likes, then you can decide on a leather binding if you'd like.

I'd really suggest you go to a sefarim store if possible, and look at the various different types to get a feel of what we're talking about.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics