Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Shabbat meals for two

princessbee923

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 12:58 pm
I was hoping to could reach out to other mother here. What do you like to make when it is just you and your husband for Shabbat meals? It seems like too much for us to make soup, chicken, salad, sides, kugels, etc... Do you have any go to meals when it is just for two? Any favorite one dish meals?

Thanks in advance!

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 1:07 pm
This is what works for us:

Soup- In the winter I make chicken soup and we eat the leftovers on Sunday's. In the summer I make a blended veggie soup that we eat cold for lunch.

Fish- I make half a loaf or a full loaf and ds eats the rest.

Main course- I stick to three items. A meat, a veggie and a carb like rice, couscous. I make usually 2 chicken quarters max.

Lunch I use a 4 quart crockpot for cholent. DH will eat leftovers.

Pineapple

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 1:09 pm
You can make a lot of something and then freeze in portins

Davida

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 1:18 pm
When it's just the two of us, I do soup (not necessarily chicken soup) OR grilled salmon and then chicken over potatoes and green beans in one dish. Sorbet for dessert. Voila!

For chulent we have a small crock pot (2 quarts I think) and I encourage everyone to get one! You can find it for pretty cheap in amazing savings, close out connection or stores like that. It makes about four portions so you still get some leftovers but only one meal worth so you don't eat chulent the whole week. And we have a salad on the side. We're not big eaters at all.

busydev

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 1:37 pm
For just the two of us I usually make:

Fish- 1 loaf of gefillta which Dh (and sometimes I) eat for lunch/snacks over the week.
Soup- 4 qt pot chicken soup that we have a few days during the week or I freeze half of it for the next week.
Chicken- I make 2 pieces
Kugel- I use small pans (5x3). It makes 3 kugels out of a 9x9 recipe. So for a few weeks I make a diff kugel- one to eat that week and the other two get frozen (depending on the kugel I freeze it cooked or raw- luktion is cooked, pineapple is raw) then after 3 weeks you are good for another 6 weeks without having the same thing for a couple weeks in a row. Each small pan makes 4-5 slices so its perfect for both meals.
Cholent- we use a 1.5 qt crock pot. dump the (few) leftovers.
Salad- one bag of salad lasts a few meals and I keep dressings (bought or made) in the fridge. they last for a few weeks or even months depending.
Deli- we buy 1/4 of a lb. sometimes I make deli roll and thats supper on sunday too.
Occasionally I will deviate (make salmon, roast etc) but this is what we do about 85% of the time.

AlwaysThinking

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 1:38 pm
I love making in bulk and freezing. That way you can have a lazy week and still stay in for shabbos.

Some weeks all I want to do is cook so I make one or two dishes per day and freeze them. I've found everything freezes - chicken soup comes out better, chicken just as good, zucchini in tomato, red cabbage, kugel, challos, even cooked salmon! I make dessert fresh because I like to have variety and some weeks we just want fruit especially in the summer. And salads have to be made fresh, of course.

Try it! Smile

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 1:45 pm
Night: a bunch of dips and small salads, some cooked and some fresh, to eat with Challah. Then tilapia or salmon- I make a few pieces, so we can have for lunch on Sunday too. Then a meat/ chicken dish with one side, usually some kind of vegetable. If I make a kugel, I make 1/3 of a recipe. We usually eat only a small piece of chicken/meat on Friday night, and leftovers on Sunday for dinner.

Morning: bunch of salads to eat with Challah. Cholent. That's it!

browser

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 3:07 pm
I make chicken soup with lots of chicken in it and a few sides, like salads and rice dishes

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 4:55 pm
buy or make small challahs

buy or make dips and use for 2 weeks (you actually need to keep it for 8 days in order to have for 2 Shabbosim, not 2 weeks)

cook half a loaf of gefilte fish at a time

make a one dish main course for Fri night - roast together in one pan 2 chicken quarters, a mix of colorful cubed veggies, and halved baby red potatoes. Mix it all up very well with fresh garlic, olive oil and coarse salt.

make a large pot of chicken soup every few weeks and freeze in increments

same for soup noodles

buy a 1.5 or 2 qt crockpot and learn how to make a small cholent

a1mom

Post Mon, Sep 03 2012, 11:01 am
we do max 2 courses friday night
either salmon and soup or soup and a main
for two I find it easier to make either a steak or skirt steak or schnitzels
sides are a veggie and a starch ie oven sweet potato fries and green beans, roasted baby potatoes and sauteed mushrooms, rice and steamed broccoli

shabbos lunch is just 2 quart chulent with kishka inside, 1/4 lb deli and a fresh salad.

occasionally I will divide a 9" sweet kugel recipe into 2-3 6" pans and use one for both meals and freeze the rest.

dee's mommy

Post Mon, Sep 03 2012, 11:43 am
Often it is just the three of us (and my daughter doesn't eat all that much anyway). I don't really do anything different. I freeze the leftover soup and meat or chicken. Often on Sunday night suppers, we have the leftover cholent and chicken, and whatever else happens to be leftover. Or, if I am feeling ambitious, I will use the chicken and soup t make a chicken pot pie or a stir fry.

Normally, with just the three of us, we have:

Gefilte fish and one big salad, or a couple of smaller salads if I was feeling more ambitious.
Soup
Chicken and a cooked vegetable or kugel. That's pretty much it.

Sometimes, I will make more salads and no kugel or cooked vegetable. Sometimes I will make two kugels (vegetable variety) and no salads. It just depends on how I feel.

For lunch we have Salmon, or Gefilte fish, and salad, and leftover kugel.
Cholent, and cholent eggs. (eggs that were cooked in the cholent.

Seudah shlishi is pretty much what is leftover.

If I am having guests, then I will just make more of what I would have already. I have felt more ambitious, or less ambitious for guests.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note