Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What type of car seat is your 4 year old in?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

bamamama

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 2:36 am
amother wrote:
none, he just uses the lap belt. Where I live I know alot of people who are not makpid on car seats once their child is in carpools etc.

shock

If it's the US or Canada, it doesn't matter if people want to be makpid or not. Boosters are the law (to 80lbs in my province).

de_goldy

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 2:46 am
bamamama wrote:
amother wrote:
none, he just uses the lap belt. Where I live I know alot of people who are not makpid on car seats once their child is in carpools etc.

shock

If it's the US or Canada, it doesn't matter if people want to be makpid or not. Boosters are the law (to 80lbs in my province).

80lbs?? So 10 yr olds are still in boosters?

bamamama

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 3:02 am
de_goldy wrote:
bamamama wrote:
amother wrote:

shock

80lbs?? So 10 yr olds are still in boosters?

No. Some provinces it's until they are 8. Others till they are 9. If they reach the height (4'9") or weight benchmark before the age, they can just use a regular seat belt (shoulder is always, always safer than just lap belt - google crash test lap belt if you need convincing).

lst

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 3:39 am
bamamama wrote:
amother wrote:

shock

Aside from it being the law (it is the law in Israel as well)-it is unsafe, dangerous and completely irresponsible to put kids in regular seatbelts. Sorry to be so harsh-in an accident, G-d forbid, internal organs can be destroyed from seatbelts that are not laying properly across a person (eg: children who are shorter than average adult height). Again-sorry for putting it so bluntly, but people need to stop "not being makpid"-you have an obligation to watch your health, as well as your childrens' (and other passengers in your care actually). It's a big deal.

Raisin

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 3:58 am
my dd is in a harness seat as well, but she is always begging to sit in a booster seat. She does go into a booster if she goes in someone elses car.

Now I can tell her lots of other kids her age are in this type of seat. Smile

curlgirl

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 4:03 am
amother wrote:

Well, if you know alot of people who do this, that's alright then. Safety in numbers I guess?!

ray family

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 4:50 am
graco nautilus

Marion

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 6:01 am
torahtots wrote:
My kids are 4 and 6. They are both in the Sunshine Radian 5-point harness car seat, which goes up to 80 pounds.

My 4.5 year old is also in the Radian. This morning I also installed the Safety 1st Comfort Air 65..which any of my 6.5/4.5/2 year old can safely sit in, depending on who I have in the car with me.

torahtots

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 6:03 am
lst wrote:
bamamama wrote:
amother wrote:

shock

Aside from it being the law (it is the law in Israel as well)-it is unsafe, dangerous and completely irresponsible to put kids in regular seatbelts. Sorry to be so harsh-in an accident, G-d forbid, internal organs can be destroyed from seatbelts that are not laying properly across a person (eg: children who are shorter than average adult height). Again-sorry for putting it so bluntly, but people need to stop "not being makpid"-you have an obligation to watch your health, as well as your childrens' (and other passengers in your care actually). It's a big deal.

I agree. Even if it wasn't the law, it is in my children's and my own best interests to keep them safe and ALIVE.
If ch"v something happened to one of them because I did not put them in a car seat (or booster once they are past 40 pounds - and my 6-yr-old is not yet 40 lbs), I would never forgive myself.

I will not take any child in my car without a car seat. There are kids who complain about the car seats and say in their parent's car they sit in a booster, but I say if they are in my car, they are sitting in a car seat. And I will not let another parent drive my child, even the five minute drive home from school, without a car seat.

My children's lives are more important than convenience.

observer

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 10:45 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Graco Nautilus, harnessed.

same

farm

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 1:02 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Sunshine Radians or Britax Marathon. Depends on which car.

same

BusyBeeMommy

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 1:57 pm
I wish my almost 4 year and 5 year old could be in 5-point harnesses, but I can't fit them plus and infant seat in my car, so they have been in high back booster seats, with a loop for the seatbelt to be positioned lower. I have a Radian Sunshine and was looking forward to using it but I can't fit it along with another 2 bigger car seats in the back. The only advantage to the booster seats is that the kids can buckle themselves in sometimes.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 2:53 pm
My 4 yo buckles herself in the Nautilus just fine Smile

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 4:09 pm
BusyBeeMommy wrote:
I wish my almost 4 year and 5 year old could be in 5-point harnesses, but I can't fit them plus and infant seat in my car, so they have been in high back booster seats, with a loop for the seatbelt to be positioned lower. I have a Radian Sunshine and was looking forward to using it but I can't fit it along with another 2 bigger car seats in the back. The only advantage to the booster seats is that the kids can buckle themselves in sometimes.

The Combi Coccoro is the narrowest convertible car seat I've come across, so that might work in your 3-across situation.

sweet

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 4:17 pm
My 4.5 year old is in a high back booster with a slot for the seatbelt.
I see lots of you still use a full carseat.....

Raisin

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 4:47 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
My 4 yo buckles herself in the Nautilus just fine Smile

mine has been able to buckle herself in for a long time. I just need to tighten and loosen the straps as needed, which I can do quite easily from the front.

the only chisaron with the bigger seats is they take up more space and are much harder to install and uninstall if you want to give a ride to someone.

Marion

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 1:29 am
BusyBeeMommy wrote:

Until yesterday I had a high back booster (convertible, with or without harness), the Radian, and the Scenera in my back seat. Now I have the Radian, the Complete Air (THAT is a monster!) and the infant seat in the back. The Radian is one of the narrowest seats out there, so you really should be able to fit it. Maybe put both your 4 and 5 y.o. in a Radian so you have 2 narrow seats to work with the huge one?

Laughing Bag!

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 1:42 am
This could've been me a week ago when I argued with dh that dd-3.5 should still be in a 5 point harness. Dh went into a well known store who told him to get a regular booster. We ended up getting something like this high back booster with 5 point harness
http://mobile.walmart.com/m/ph.....10886
At least now I feel way more at peace for doing what I strongly felt is safe and right for all of us especially dd. :-)

mommy24

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 8:18 am
Wow, I am impressed with all you, where I live its 80 or 8 years old to still be in a booster.

BH, my kids that are 7 and 5 are still in boosters, but are itching to get out like their friends. my 3.5 year old, would never stay in a 5 pt harnessed car seat, I tried but at 3 she was unbucking while I was driving, so I decided that a booster was better for her, she wanted to be like her older siblings who sit in a booster. So she uses the high back booster, never just the bottom alone.

do those who have your 5 yr olds in carseats, do you ahve older kids? do the younger ones never unbuckle themselves? also how do you fit so many carseats in the car, as it is we already overcrowd the 8 passanger van with out my 5 or 7 yr old being in car sets. (we are a family of 9).

oh and this is why I refuse to carpool, unless I know its someone who will absolutley buckle my kids and use boosters.

MrsDash

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 9:12 am
My average height, and weight 5 1/2 year old uses "the first years - true fit - convertible car seat." It has great safety ratings. All car seats are safe, because they must pass many government safety tests. (Unless it is an older seat, expired seat, or has been in an automobile accident.) Usually, the car seats that have higher ratings are ones that are easier to install. No matter how safe a car seat is, if it is installed incorrectly, it can still pose as a serious hazard. Strapping the harness properly is also just a vital. However, I wouldn't get this specific car seat if there are more than 2 car seats in the back seat, because the it is very plush, and bulky.

If you're unsure about the installation or proper restraints, call your local fire department or EMS. Many of their members are certified in car seat safety, and installation. It is a FREE service.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics