Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
What do you like about your washing machine

ckk

Post Wed, Aug 29 2012, 6:46 pm
Im looking to buy a washing machine (in usa) and Im really very clueless. What should I make sure it has? What should I avoid? Any and all advice would be very appreciated!

granolamom

Post Thu, Aug 30 2012, 7:37 pm
what do I love about mine? it works and its gentle on the clothes. I have a whirlpool duet front loading machine. many drawbacks on this one (as with most FL's) such as long cycles, potential for smelly tub, uses less water so you MUST use he detergent and NOT fill to capacity.
but its pretty Smile

I dont think there is any right or wrong, you decide what your budget is and then go shopping to see what is available then list pros/cons of each and compare. you try to get what you need within your budget, taking into consideration reputation of the machine. if you have a relationship with a repair person, ask their opinion on you final two or three choices.
and if you're in the area, Town Appliance in Lakewood usually has really good prices, you can just call them with the model number and they will ship it.

Raisin

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 5:47 am
I got a really big one. It fits 11kg of clothes. If you have more then 4 kids it is really useful.

rachel91

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 6:48 am
I think a very important point is the energy-class. The higher the energy class the less you pay for each wash, but the washing machine will be more expensive. I would stick to brands like Miele, AEG and Bosch ( I have AEG, but Miele are known to be the best). What I like personally is that I have a screen which indicates the time left till the wash is ready. Most of the washing machines have it but not all of them. I personally ask the salespeople when buying something like a washing machine etc. They usually know what they're talking about. One of them told me that when buying any machine related to water( washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, fridge...)the german brands are the best.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 7:26 am
That it was already old when we moved in 14 years ago and still works fine!

ckk

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 7:38 am
Thanks for you tips! over 14 yrs!! thats amazing!

granolamom

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 9:11 am
my old washing machine was 25 years old when we gave it away, it was working fine but our dryer broke and dh wanted matching machines. I regret replacing it, they really do not make them like they used to. I bet that thing is still going strong while we're on our second one since.

I find that salespeople often do not know what they are talking about, and at best, they know the products they carry but either do not know or will not discuss honestly the products they do not carry. so speaking to salespeople in different stores can be useful too. everyone's got their bias, sometimes the profit margin is greater for one brand than another so that can color what they say too.
and if you go with bosch or ge ask about rebates, they often have rebate deals that can save you alot of money (we saved $150 on our washer and $200 on our bosch dishwasher). all you have to do is fill out some paperwork and mail it in on time.

Kumphort

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 2:19 pm
I have an LG front loader washer and dryer.

One feature I like on the washing machine is that you can delay the wash, so that last load you are sticking in right before you go to bed, which otherwise will sit around all night waiting for you to switch it, you can set it to start right before you get up, so that you have a fresh load to stick in the dryer.

I also like that my washer/dryer doors open like french doors, so I can easily switch loads from one machine to another, no stooping, bending etc.

ckk

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 3:01 pm
Dont like to sound stupid but
How do french doors open?
And whats a rebate?

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Aug 31 2012, 4:23 pm
ckk wrote:

How do french doors open?
And whats a rebate?

Kumphort means that the washer door has its hinge on the left and the dryer door is hinged on the right (or vice versa), so its easier to transfer the laundry.

A rebate is when a manufacturer sends you some money back when you buy a particular product. Usually you have to fill out a card and send in a receipt to get the rebate, but sometimes there are "instant rebates" which are taken off the price at the time of purchase.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Sep 01 2012, 8:51 pm
We have Siemens 8kg washing machine, front loading like most european models. I also agree that energy efficiency and water usage is important for me, after capacity. I like timer function, and that you can customise temperature/spin speed, and quick wash options. It's not too fussy, good build.

As someone else mentioned front loader needs to be cleaned esp the rubber gasket so it doesn't accumulate gunk and get smelly. We just pour treatment once in 2-3months, and occasionally do chemical wash (wash the highest temperature--usually 90C with no clothes, 1/2 cup baking soda instead of detergent).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars