Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Please help me help my sister!

amother

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 6:50 pm
My sister got married 2.5 yrs ago. BH they had a baby, and are now expecting their 2nd. Her DH is learning in a kollel and she is babysitting part time. She just called me this morning crying. She says she does not have enough money for her bills or for food. So my question is can anyone tell me where to start? She lives in Ramat Bait Shemesh. Is there a tomchei shabbos? Is there a chessed organization that can help? Is there a place that refers American residents find programs? I really want to help her but I have absolutely no idea where to start. Tizku L'mitzvos to anyone who can offer some ideas.

oodlesofnoodles

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 6:54 pm
Don't bash me for this, but maybe her DH should get a job to support his family..especially with another baby on the way, things are only going to get harder and finances even tighter...

de_goldy

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 6:56 pm
I was goign to say the same thing. THat would seem like the best place to start... job hunting.

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 7:28 pm
ladies, I agree that it's time for the dh to go out ISO parnassah, but your responses were not helpful. Shabbos is tomorrow, the yomtovim in another week, and it's unlikely that the dh will find a job between now and then. (And you know that in Aretz everything is being put on hold "till after the chagim".) OP's sister needs food NOW.

Marion

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 8:12 pm
Lema'an Achai (RBS)

Mazon L'chayim (Hebrew)

I'm sure there are plenty of other food gemachim/food kitchens/food lists, especially if they're part of the charedi community, but I don't have that information.

boysrus

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 8:55 pm
02 999 1553 this is the phone number for lemaan achai in ramat beit shemesh. I just google it. I know one of the main guys there, they are very nice. they will be able to offer financial help, food help and advice on budgeting, looking for better paid jobs etc. hatzlocha, kesiva vachasima tovah to youa nd your sister.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 11:21 pm
If someone from the family sends her a credit card, she can use it in practically every store in Israel.

boysrus

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 11:29 pm
that is a great idea tamiri!

Liba

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 11:32 pm
She doesn't even need the card, just the credit card number and expiration (sometimes the security code) and she can call many of the small grocery stores, place an order, pay for it with the card and get the food delivered. Some stores may even let her pay with just the number in person.

FWIW while there are organizations here, they aren't like the government programs in the US, they are private and most of them are interested in helping people get on their feet. If people have a plan they will help until they are back on their feet, if they are looking for the organization to be the plan they will be sent elsewhere.

Working part time while DH is learning isn't a great long term plan. Sad

Hatzlacha!

moonstone

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 11:46 pm
Liba wrote:
She doesn't even need the card, just the credit card number and expiration (sometimes the security code) and she can call many of the small grocery stores, place an order, pay for it with the card and get the food delivered. Some stores may even let her pay with just the number in person.

Yes, this is true- my mother in the US wanted to buy one of my kids a birthday gift, and we decided it was easier for her to give me the card number and exp. date and I would just buy it here. It was no problem- but we did this at a local store where we've shopped for years. I don't know if it would work with a big chain store. But yes, you can definitely try this.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 11:52 pm
It won't work at a chain store (for obvious reasons) but it will work at a store that knows you/heimish.

5*Mom

Post Thu, Sep 06 2012, 11:58 pm
Definitely call L'maan Achai. They have excellent volunteer professionals who can help the family develop a viable short and long term plan for financial stability.

amother

Post Sat, Sep 08 2012, 6:14 pm
this is op. to the responses of 'that is not a long term plan'....thank you but I know and she knows. but right now she needs help. yes, they are trying to talk to their rav about other ways to bring in income, but in the meantime they need food, right? so thank you to the replies that gave me resources to look into. may you have a wonderful yom tov. thank you for taking the time to help another jew.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions