Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
How do you make salad dressing w/o vinegar?

GramaNewYork

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 9:31 am
Please give me ideas for salad dressing which does not use vinegar.

If people don't eat vinegar on R"H, do they also not eat lemon? If they do it lemon, can lemon juice substitute for vinegar (taste wise)?

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 10:16 am
Lemon juice isn't an exact substitute for vinegar because they taste quite different, but there are a lot of salad dressings you can make using lemon juice and not vinegar. Not sure about minhag.

If you want to avoid ALL sour things for RH, you can do a honey mustard type dressing.

GramaNewYork

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 10:19 am
Thank you! Mmmm, that sounds DELISH!

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 10:22 am
I don't have a recipe, but they should be easy to find. Basically some combination of mayo/oil/water as a base, some honey, some mustard, and you can also try a tiny dash of cinnamon and some pepper for more "kick"

Zus

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 12:23 pm
Personally I do use vinegar, but then combined with sugar. Makes it taste sweet.
You can always make the dressing of the bissli salad.

sped

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 6:07 pm
Mayonnaise has vinegar in it. Any ideas for salad dressings that have no vinegar, lemon juice or mayo?
The only ones I have are: waldorf salad with Rich's whip as a dressing and carrot salad with canned pineapple + juice as the dressing.

Zus

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 9:08 pm
Even no vinegar when you can't taste it?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 11 2012, 9:16 pm
How about combining honey, mustard (can leave that out if it has vinegar), soy sauce, oil, garlic, s & p

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Sep 15 2012, 6:36 pm
You can make a very nice, non-lemon, non-vinegar salad dressing.

Juice from 1 orange
3tbsp olive oil
s&p to taste

Put in a jar and shake vigorously before using. If you want you can add a bit of mustard (though most mustard is prepared with wine vinegar), chopped herbs (parsley, cilantro), chopped garlic or a dash of cumin or paprika. This is good for green salad, or grated carrot salad, or coleslaw or marinated salad.

seeker

Post Sat, Sep 15 2012, 7:43 pm
This is not chometz on pesach. I think you can be meikil on the vinegar content within mayonnaise... the point is not to eat things that are sour/sharp tasting

MommyZ

Post Sat, Sep 15 2012, 7:46 pm
I use lemon juice, grapeseed oil, sea salt and black pepper.

Zus

Post Sun, Sep 16 2012, 7:54 am
I think there is vinegar in most of my food, yet none of it tastes sour.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur