Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
What shehechiyanu did you get?
1  2  3  4  Next

yo'ma

Post Fri, Sep 14 2012, 11:06 am
I asked the guy what it is? He told me. I didn't understand him except the part where he said it's sweet. Since there were no other fruits that was shehechiyanu for us, I bought it, whatever it is LOL . Hope it's good!!

sky

Post Fri, Sep 14 2012, 11:26 am
I don't know.
My dh's minhag is that the wife cannot see it. So when she is making the bracha when lighting she is also making a bracha on seeing the fruit for the first time.
They are hidden in my fridge in a bag.

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 14 2012, 11:51 am
I got an assortment. I bought the first one I saw last week, having no idea if it was good or would ripen further (not all fruits ripen after picking) or would be decomposing by YT, but wanting to have something just in case nothing else turned up. Later in the week I saw a nice-looking pomegranate so I bought that just in case the first fruit was a goner. Still later in the week I was in a different neighborhood and went into a store because I needed vegetables, and bought another two fruits just because they were there and just in case someone in the family or a guest happened to have already had any of the others.

I'm not usually that neurotic. I was suffering from fruit envy. It's been a bad season for produce, everything very expensive and not that good, so we've not had the wide assortment of fruits we usually enjoy in summer. With shehecheyanu as an excuse, I went a little nuts. We're gonna have us one heck of a splendid fruit salad!

granolamom

Post Fri, Sep 14 2012, 2:10 pm
pomegranate, litchi nuts, mangosteen, starfruit, and red tamarillo.

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 14 2012, 2:11 pm
oooh, I'm jealous! I've neevr even SEEN mangosteen.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 14 2012, 2:24 pm
lychee fruit and horn melon (I hope the horn melon is good. I have a feeling I've bought it in the past and that it's tasteless. Only realized this after I bought it. $5.49! for an egg size fruit!)

zigi

Post Fri, Sep 14 2012, 2:26 pm
dragon fruit.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Sep 14 2012, 2:27 pm
Starfruit and sabra. Last year I bought a whole bunch, but this yr I cut back to two.

granolamom

Post Fri, Sep 14 2012, 2:36 pm
zaq wrote:

I've been wanting to try it for years and this year our local kosher supermarket had them (at the obscene price of $12.99/lb). the outer part is hard like a shell, I have to google it before YT to find out how to eat it.
if you're in the five towns area for rosh hashana, stop by for a taste : )

the chevrah

Post Fri, Sep 14 2012, 2:51 pm
I thought for shehechiyanu its got to be a fruit from the shivas haminim? Don't know where I picked that up from......

yo'ma

Post Fri, Sep 14 2012, 2:58 pm
granolamom wrote:
zaq wrote:

I've been wanting to try it for years and this year our local kosher supermarket had them (at the obscene price of $12.99/lb). the outer part is hard like a shell, I have to google it before YT to find out how to eat it.
if you're in the five towns area for rosh hashana, stop by for a taste : )

Unless it's so good and you eat it all Wink .

yo'ma

Post Fri, Sep 14 2012, 3:00 pm
ra_mom wrote:
lychee fruit and horn melon (I hope the horn melon is good. I have a feeling I've bought it in the past and that it's tasteless. Only realized this after I bought it. $5.49! for an egg size fruit!)

What is a horn melon anyway? It's not like a melon where you make a ha'adma, even though you did say it's the size of an egg? BTW, that is a crazy price.

Last edited by yo'ma on Fri, Sep 14 2012, 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

jflower

Post Fri, Sep 14 2012, 3:58 pm
chevrah, our minhag also is to use a fruit from the shiva haminim. I bought figs & dates.

ElTam

Post Fri, Sep 14 2012, 4:03 pm
I got a pear-apple, a cactus pear, and a pepino melon.

I hope my pomegranate is good this year. The last few years they've been disgusting and bitter.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Sep 14 2012, 4:09 pm
jflower wrote:
chevrah, our minhag also is to use a fruit from the shiva haminim. I bought figs & dates.

Do you also eat the figs and dates on the first night? We make a yihei ratzon on dates, so we eat it the first night, so the second night it wouldn't be a shehechiyanu.

miyodea

Post Fri, Sep 14 2012, 4:17 pm
I don't think you can say shehechiyanu on a pear-apple, as it's a hybrid.
And I'm pretty sure that horn melon is ha'adama. It grows on a vine like watermelon and honeydew.
I got figs, which are a pain to check, but the pickings are very slim this year. Usually I get a selection, but I couldn't find anything else worth the $$ they were asking. (Think hard green starfruit for 6.99/lb.!!).

ray family

Post Sat, Sep 15 2012, 1:59 pm
I haven't even heard of some of these fruits.
the only 1 shehechiyanu that they had in our supermarket was a quince
I'm going to go to the more expensive supermarket tomorrow and hope that they still have something
(my mil was supposed to buy the shehechiyau but when I spoke to her thurs eve she still hadn't)

shalhevet

Post Sat, Sep 15 2012, 2:52 pm
Avocado and mango

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Sep 15 2012, 3:04 pm
sabras and pomegranate.

ray family

Post Sat, Sep 15 2012, 3:19 pm
just went to the supermarket bought a guava (hopefully it'll be edible from what I hear they're very buggy) got what looked like a smooth dragon fruit- the picture of it had the same inside as other ones that I've bought- white w/ black seeds. and something else that looked like a yellow dragon fruit.

I think I'm now covered Smile
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur