Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
What shehechiyanu did you get?
Previous  1  2  3  4

wispalover

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 1:02 pm
Growing up in the UK our shechiyanu was ALWAYS pomegrantes and kent cobnuts- those nuts were what I looked forward to yearly on chag because they were so expensive! I still miss them and RH isnt the same without them (clearly we eat nuts on chag):
http://www.cobnuts.co.uk

DrMom

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 1:08 pm
I bought dragonfruit and fresh figs and starfruit and guava. We had guests so I wasn't sure who ate what last year, so I just bought a variety.

sped

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 1:10 pm
I bought passion fruit, and then on Y"T found out that their bracha is haadma, and we don't say shehecheyanu on Haadama. Oh well, in any case they were extremely sour...

gp2.0

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 1:11 pm
We had starfruit, pomegranate, figs and dates.

A neighbor brought over some of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

It smells AWFUL but apparently that's normal. LOL

Quote:
The edible flesh emits a distinctive odour, strong and penetrating even when the husk is intact. Some people regard the durian as fragrant; others find the aroma overpowering and revolting. The smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust, and has been described variously as almonds, rotten onions, turpentine and gym socks. The odour has led to the fruit's banishment from certain hotels and public transportation in southeast Asia.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 1:31 pm
Whatever we had, no one liked it.

Faigy86

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 1:35 pm
sped wrote:
I bought passion fruit, and then on Y"T found out that their bracha is haadma, and we don't say shehecheyanu on Haadama. Oh well, in any case they were extremely sour...

Really? hmm, I should be better about checking these things out before...

tissues

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 2:05 pm
Faigy86 wrote:
sped wrote:

Really? hmm, I should be better about checking these things out before...

I also bought a passion fruit. It was yum!!! But didn't know it was haadama. we also had star fruit.

Zus

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 2:16 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
We had a cactus pear, but are you supposed to eat the inside seeds? It's the best new fruit I ever remember having being that it has a good flavor, but my hands had several splinters from peeling it :/

You're supposed to peel it with gloves on Smile

sky

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 2:25 pm
allergypro wrote:
sky wrote:
allergypro wrote:
We bought some kind of hairy tiny thing that costed 59 cents each. We bought close to a dozen in order to have enough for everyone. All besides 2 were rotten. Not unripe, or sour. ROTTEN. Sad

This:
Rambutan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambutan

Yes, that looks like what we had. However, the inside of most of them was black.

Maybe it was this. It sounds like they are supposed to be "spoiled".

gp2.0 wrote:
We had starfruit, pomegranate, figs and dates.

A neighbor brought over some of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

It smells AWFUL but apparently that's normal. LOL

Quote:
The edible flesh emits a distinctive odour, strong and penetrating even when the husk is intact. Some people regard the durian as fragrant; others find the aroma overpowering and revolting. The smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust, and has been described variously as almonds, rotten onions, turpentine and gym socks. The odour has led to the fruit's banishment from certain hotels and public transportation in southeast Asia.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 2:28 pm
Nah, the inside of durian is supposed to be yellow-white, not black. Also, durians are HUGE. Rambutan sounds more like what allergypro was describing. Except they're also supposed to be white, so I guess they really were spoiled. Smile

NonnaDev

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 2:31 pm
Hi,

We had Italian plum and kiwis. We hadn't had them the entire year. :-)

Whatever everyone had, it should be good!

~ Nonna Flower

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 9:17 pm
Zus wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
We had a cactus pear, but are you supposed to eat the inside seeds? It's the best new fruit I ever remember having being that it has a good flavor, but my hands had several splinters from peeling it :/

You're supposed to peel it with gloves on Smile
So I read today...I didn't see the blond hairs, just the stumps so I thought the thorns were off...and when I was handling them at the store I didn't get any splinters!!

STovah

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 9:23 pm
We had a passionfruit, a pomelo, and some strange kind of pear. The pomelo was delicious, and the passionfruit smelled delicious.

jeweled

Post Wed, Sep 19 2012, 10:04 pm
lychee nuts. sooo good Smile

imaima

Post Thu, Sep 20 2012, 6:59 am
Zus wrote:
We know all that. I don't think they were shehakol. In any case, the new fruit is only so that there is no safek if you have to say shehecheyanu for the second day or not.

That's why our rav says to get new clothes for the second day instead of fruit, as exotic fruit is sold here all year round.

EvenI

Post Thu, Sep 20 2012, 1:43 pm
We used a clementine and we have a bag full of them and they are actually sweet and tasty. We usually use some sort of citrus fruit, and I don't remember ever having a problem of them not tasting good enough to make a brocho on.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur