Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Starting to exercise when DH is NOT AT ALL supportive
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Inspired

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 2:48 am
I don't know. I think not. Freshpair.com charges 10$ for shipping and I think I was once charged meches on something but usually not. Even with ameches charge its worth it if you have no way to get it from someone coming here. Bras here are so expensive!

amother

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 2:50 am
Oh no, now I can't delete that joke from my previous post to Inspired.

Sigh.

I'm one of the Zionists here, 'kay? Was joking. Just joking. Feeling goofy. My b'khor watched a Latma video and was making bad jokes about "the Zionist Joooz" and I just couldn't help myself. Okay. Back on topic now.

But seriously, thanks for that enell link. Am now all excited that there are no retailers in Israel, maybe I should import a few and start a new business. LOL

Tzippora

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 3:54 am
Another option for the large-busted: moving comfort is the brand, model name fiona. I wear it for running and while I do wear two sports bras on top of eachother for extra support, I found it much more comfortable than the enell.

When it comes to being supportive about exercise, it may be that he won't be supportive. Ignore him. Exercise is crucial to weight loss for most people. Walking isa good start at your age (though making ita brisk power walk rather than a stroll would be helpful) and in any case is necessary for your health - your cardiovascular system needs care too.

You can explain to him that while you have a lot to do, you have decided to add exercise to your daily routine-as such, it is now on your list of things to do, and needs to get done.

Tzippora

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 3:54 am
Another option for the large-busted: moving comfort is the brand, model name fiona. I wear it for running and while I do wear two sports bras on top of eachother for extra support, I found it much more comfortable than the enell.

When it comes to being supportive about exercise, it may be that he won't be supportive. Ignore him. Exercise is crucial to weight loss for most people. Walking isa good start at your age (though making ita brisk power walk rather than a stroll would be helpful) and in any case is necessary for your health - your cardiovascular system needs care too.

You can explain to him that while you have a lot to do, you have decided to add exercise to your daily routine-as such, it is now on your list of things to do, and needs to get done.

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 4:54 am
I use a program called MyFitnessPal. I keep tract of my exercise and my eating with it. It has several features which encourage exercise. It also has the calorie count and carb for a large number of foods and access to others in your situation.

chani8

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 6:19 am
bpgirl wrote:

So no fruit on this diet?

Just a little fruit, because fruits spike blood sugar levels. An apple or plum to keep the constipation away, and we do sometimes eat fresh fruit for dessert. I also like to eat a small banana (or 1/2) with 8 almonds, as a "snack".

I think OP is in Israel, and if that is the case, the bread that I think is best, is easily accessible. It is Angel's brand, "Diet Rye 100".

chani8

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 6:39 am
Modified for Beginner Exercise Routine (first 3 weeks):

12 Standing Wall Push Ups
12 Shrugs
Rest for 1 minute
12 Seated Presses
12 Curls
Rest 1 minute
15 Get Ups
15 Pick Up
Rest 1 minute
1 minute of Marching

Repeat up to three times.

Now you are going to ask me what in the world are these exercises.

Let me show or explain:

Standing Wall Push Upstanding wall push up - push ups, while standing, hands on the wall, feet back, body straight

Shrugs Shrugs

Seated PressesSitting Presses - for weights, use two 1.5 liter water bottles. I prefer the Yesh brand because they have an indent which makes gripping easier, or buy two 1.5 kilo weights.

Curls curls - using 1.5 liter bottles or weights

Get Upsget ups (shown at 5 minutes into the video) - simply sit on the edge of your chair, and get up. Sit down, get up.

Pick Up sumo - standing with your 1.5 liter water bottle on the floor in front of you. Bend down, pick it up, lift it up to your chin, then bend back over to put it down, but just touch it to the floor then immediately pick it back up again, bringing it back up to your chin.

Marchingmarching - this is like band marching, raising your legs alternating, and as high as you can. Do it as slow as you need to, keeping your balance and working up to a full minute.

Edited to paste the links better

chani8

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 6:59 am
For a really easy but excellent workout, try this:

HASfit hasfit

b from nj

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 8:17 am
amother wrote:
Inspired wrote:
http://www.enell.com/

And when it gets shipped here do the Evil Zionist Pigdogs local bureaucrats charge an arm and a leg to liberate it from the do'ar?

(I hope you know I was kidding, right? LOL)

Not funny..

black sheep

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 9:03 am
I was going to give ideas on how to show dh how important exercise is, because it makes you feel better, and look better, and it makes you healthier. but then I read your updates and I bet telling him this will make him work harder at sabotaging your workouts!!!!

so instead you have to do it in spite of him. specifically because he is controlling, you have to make sure you go on a brisk power walk every single day, rain or shine, and try to even squeeze in some simple resistance exercises (chani8 gave great examples.) it doesn't really matter how you explain it to him, just be firm that this is what you are doing and then do it. if he yells and screams, that should strengthen your resolve about how much you need it.

you are doing the right thing. you are taking control of your own health and well being. don't give him that control back.

as far as weight loss (which is a separate issue as far as I'm concerned, exercise is so important for physical and emotional health regardless of weight) reducing food intake is the only way to lose weight. if you don't have control over the food you buy, at least swap carbs for fresh vegetables at every meal and fruit for snacks, so you will feel full on less calories. (that's what I do whenever I want to lose weight.)

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 12:44 pm
b from nj wrote:
amother wrote:
Inspired wrote:

And when it gets shipped here do the Evil Zionist Pigdogs local bureaucrats charge an arm and a leg to liberate it from the do'ar?

Not funny..

its funny if youve had to deal with it.

try showing up at the post office and having to pay 50 bucks to get your 3 inch package......

cubbie

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 1:19 pm
chani8 wrote:
bpgirl wrote:

Just a little fruit, because fruits spike blood sugar levels. An apple or plum to keep the constipation away, and we do sometimes eat fresh fruit for dessert. I also like to eat a small banana (or 1/2) with 8 almonds, as a "snack".

I think OP is in Israel, and if that is the case, the bread that I think is best, is easily accessible. It is Angel's brand, "Diet Rye 100".

you do know that a small banana is way higher in sugar than an apple, pear or plum - which are the lowest sugar fruit, also a green apple is better than a red one.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 9:26 pm
ysmommy wrote:
b from nj wrote:
amother wrote:
Inspired wrote:

Not funny..

try showing up at the post office and having to pay 50 bucks to get your 3 inch package......

Yes, that's exactly right. Sometimes a ridiculous amount more. I could go on and on about this.

Also b from nj, I apologized upthread for the joke / outed myself as a Rabid Zionist Pigdog Fanatic already but you didn't read the next post before your comment, so I'll apologize again. Was just being goofy, and since I'm doing this all anonymous-amotherlike, I can't edit my own posts here and couldn't remove the original silly joke. I am sorry. סלח לנו, מחל לנו, כפר לנו.

And chani, thanks for that video link. Will try it ASAP, as soon as he leaves for shul.

Does anyone else here only exercise in their home and not go outside for it? Just calisthenics and stuff like that? Or videos?

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 9:32 pm
amother wrote:
ysmommy wrote:
b from nj wrote:
amother wrote:
Inspired wrote:

Not funny..

Yes, that's exactly right. Sometimes a ridiculous amount more. I could go on and on about this.

Also b from nj, I apologized upthread for the joke / outed myself as a Rabid Zionist Pigdog Fanatic already but you didn't read the next post before your comment, so I'll apologize again. Was just being goofy, and since I'm doing this all anonymous-amotherlike, I can't edit my own posts here and couldn't remove the original silly joke. I am sorry. סלח לנו, מחל לנו, כפר לנו.

And chani, thanks for that video link. Will try it ASAP, as soon as he leaves for shul.

Does anyone else here only exercise in their home and not go outside for it? Just calisthenics and stuff like that? Or videos?

it prob comes off as insulting because you used the word zionist which is something many people take very seriously. I realized that you actually meant the burocrats (sp?) not the zionists and being as I remember what the postal theives are like I enjoy bashing them to bits.....

amother

Post Thu, Oct 04 2012, 12:53 am
ysmommy wrote:
amother wrote:
ysmommy wrote:
b from nj wrote:
amother wrote:
Inspired wrote:

Not funny..

it prob comes off as insulting because you used the word zionist which is something many people take very seriously. I realized that you actually meant the burocrats (sp?) not the zionists and being as I remember what the postal theives are like I enjoy bashing them to bits.....

Yeah, I know people take it very seriously. I take it very seriously, too. Proud Zionist that I am.
No offense was intended AT ALL.

And chani, I went to that HASFIT site, actually, instead of doing that 10 minute video, there was a 20 minute video for beginners, and honestly? It was the best beginner's video I've ever done (and I've tried many of them ... which is why I've never gotten into working out all these tries LOL). It was truly for beginners but still made me sweat, and he moved into different angles so you could really see what he was doing, and there were absolutely no intimidating fancy overexcited who-can-figure-it-out steps at all (which is usually why I have never repeated a beginners video before).

Got my younger DD to do it with me, too. But she's little and cute and doesn't need an excuse to exercise. My bat mitzva girl, though, surely does. Gotta get her to do it.

Am psyched. Have figured out when to do it every day, too. Gotta have a seder with it, right? Otherwise I won't do it.

Smile

chani8

Post Thu, Oct 04 2012, 2:08 am
amother wrote:
ysmommy wrote:
amother wrote:
ysmommy wrote:
b from nj wrote:
amother wrote:
Inspired wrote:

Not funny..

Yeah, I know people take it very seriously. I take it very seriously, too. Proud Zionist that I am.
No offense was intended AT ALL.

And chani, I went to that HASFIT site, actually, instead of doing that 10 minute video, there was a 20 minute video for beginners, and honestly? It was the best beginner's video I've ever done (and I've tried many of them ... which is why I've never gotten into working out all these tries LOL). It was truly for beginners but still made me sweat, and he moved into different angles so you could really see what he was doing, and there were absolutely no intimidating fancy overexcited who-can-figure-it-out steps at all (which is usually why I have never repeated a beginners video before).

Got my younger DD to do it with me, too. But she's little and cute and doesn't need an excuse to exercise. My bat mitzva girl, though, surely does. Gotta get her to do it.

Am psyched. Have figured out when to do it every day, too. Gotta have a seder with it, right? Otherwise I won't do it.

Smile

I am so glad to hear you also liked the HASfit. The guy is so nice, and the workout is really for beginners. Sorry I sent you to the 20 minute version, but if you can do it, all the better than the 10 minute one.

My teen girls take their little workout routine with them to the dorms, btw, and find it is so much easier to have a set routine, computer free, that you can just turn on the music, and do your exercises, taking a quick 30 minutes, in private. One DD had all her room mates doing it, and they thought it was so easy, until the next day when they couldn't move because they used muscles they didn't know they had.

I know going to all the short videos to see how each exercise is done, is a bit tedious. I was thinking to just video myself and upload it, but don't know where or how to do that. And BTW, that workout routine is a my modified version of Mike Chang's "Six Pack Abs" program that you see advertised all over the web. It works. Mine is modified for older, very out of shape people who've never worked out in their life. B'Hatzlacha.

chani8

Post Thu, Oct 04 2012, 2:13 am
cubbie wrote:
chani8 wrote:
bpgirl wrote:

you do know that a small banana is way higher in sugar than an apple, pear or plum - which are the lowest sugar fruit, also a green apple is better than a red one.

I do know that bananas are very high in sugar, but I don't want to give them up because they are so healthy and delicious. So I actually eat my 1/2 banana very slowly, with almonds, often before a workout to give me a boost in motivation and koach.

freidasima

Post Thu, Oct 04 2012, 4:27 am
skip the healthy and delicious. They are an important source of potassium without which you get muscle spasms. Therefore unless one has kidney problems, when one should keep away from potassium sources, it's important for people who don't suffer with constipation to get in a banana a day or every two days for the potassium. Sure there are other sources, but this one also fulfills the needs for a starch and something sweet. I have one with a cup of hot water and a bit of organic soymilk for breakfast every morning.

etky

Post Thu, Oct 04 2012, 4:46 am
Tzippora wrote:

This is the best sports bra I have ever owned. I am very large on top and I wear this for high impact exercise as well as walking. You can order on line but also check Saposh in Jerusalem. I know that they have some Wacoal bras there and if not this model then maybe they can order it for you. I am sure you could exercise wearing this bra without feeling self-conscious. Good luck with the exercise and weight loss. You sound like a very realistic, well-grounded person with clear goals and objectives. If you put your mind to it you will succeed.

http://www.wacoal-america.com/.....false

merpk

Post Thu, Oct 04 2012, 5:23 am
Good advice here.

Last edited by merpk on Thu, Oct 04 2012, 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise