Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Convertible car- kosher sukkah??

ez-pass

Post Tue, Oct 02 2012, 10:15 pm
Doe anyone know if u can use a convertible car, taking roof off and using windows plus front of car as walls, can be used as a sukkah? We will lay schach on top....any idea??

manyhats

Post Tue, Oct 02 2012, 10:22 pm
Ingenious idea! I suppose you need to ask a Rabbi.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 02 2012, 10:32 pm
As far as I know, the way to make a kosher sukkah out of a car is...

Open car door. Place schach on top of open door. Sit on floor outside car underneath the schach, at the open door.

Post Tue, Oct 02 2012, 10:32 pm
Wouldn't it depend on how high and wide?

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 12:11 am
Well, you'd need to lay something (bamboo poles, e.g.) on top of the metal frame before laying the schach down, as the schach shouldn't be supported by metal.

tizunabi

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 1:49 am
There is a story in the gemara about a moving sukka (on a camel) and it isn't kosher. Now a sukka that you can put in park is different than a sukka that you can't control like that, but the concept is the same.
I don't think that would be a kosher sukka.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 2:10 am
tizunabi wrote:
There is a story in the gemara about a moving sukka (on a camel) and it isn't kosher. Now a sukka that you can put in park is different than a sukka that you can't control like that, but the concept is the same.
I don't think that would be a kosher sukka.

Then what's the purpose of these:

(And before anyone comments or asks, this is NOT meant to be anti-Chabad, these are just the photos I found)

tizunabi

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 2:26 am
I do not know, like I said there might be some halachic difference that I don't know about, but also, not everything you see is necessarily 100% kosher.

farmom

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 6:52 am
Actually, a sukkah on a camel is kosher. It may not be used on yom tov, however.

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 7:36 am
farmom wrote:
Actually, a sukkah on a camel is kosher. It may not be used on yom tov, however.

I learned this too. They even have an exhibit at Neot Kedumim each year that shows all sorts of crazy (kosher) sukkot, and this is one of them.

tizunabi

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 12:02 pm
cool, my misunderstanding then..

ekwonkblog

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 12:34 pm
There has to be 10 tefuchim between the floor of the car and the schach. Also it is very preferable for the schach to not be directly maymid on the car as the metal is mekabel tumuh. Also its better if a man puts the schach on.

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 03 2012, 1:21 pm
ekwonkblog wrote:
There has to be 10 tefuchim between the floor of the car and the schach. Also it is very preferable for the schach to not be directly maymid on the car as the metal is mekabel tumuh. Also its better if a man puts the schach on.

- I think we can assume with a high degree of certainty that sthere is at least 10 tfachim (<1 meter) height between the car floor and the roof, otherwise who could sit in such a car?

- Why is it better to have a man put on the schach?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics