Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Singapore Jewish community - can you tell me more?

yaelinIN

Post Tue, Oct 09 2012, 6:23 am
Dear fellow imamothers,

My husband is thinking about a potential job in Singapore, and would love to hear from current or ex-community members about their experiences. Was it mostly Israelis? What kinds of institutions are there (mikvah, kollel, restaurant, schools, etc.)? Did you find it friendly?

Thanks,

Yael

shosh

Post Tue, Oct 09 2012, 6:52 am
Chabad-Lubavitch Representatives in Singapore (operating under the auspices of the Jewish Welfare Board)

24, Waterloo Street
Singapore, 187950 Singapore
65-6-332-3012
Local Time: 9:51 PM (GMT +8)
Fax: 65-6-336-2127
www.singaporejews.com

Personnel »

Rabbi Mordechai Abergel
Rabbi Netanel Moshe Rivni
Email
Print
Map

Services »

Synagogue Mikveh Early Childhood Center / Preschool
Teen Club Bar/Bat Mitzvah Instruction One-on-One Study
Adult Education

Rodent

Post Tue, Oct 09 2012, 7:46 pm
It is my understanding that most of Singapore's Jewry were of Iraqi origin (some by way of India). Quite a lot of these have moved to Australia. I don't know if that is still the case, possibly not as I assume that there would be a lot of business that has people from elsewhere move to Singapore. All the best with the possible move.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Oct 10 2012, 6:07 am
BEST CHOLENT EVER!!! Served at a communal sit-down kiddush set outside the synagogue every shabbat (A bit funny considering the weather is 30C plus pretty much throughout the year).
Yes the community is founded by Baghdadi/Iraqis so the service still follows that principle.
Though as in other Far Eastern communities, the members are quite trainsient, a nice mix of Americans/ British/ Israelis/various Europeans. Though several old families who have been in S'pore multi-generation.

I don't think they have schools yet (aside from a nursery), but they have a mikvah, a small kosher mart attached to the synagogue, a meaty restaurant attached to the synagogue. No eruv. In terms of amenity, above Tokyo but below HK IMHO. For me the weather would make it a hardship post.

Last edited by Mrs Bissli on Wed, Oct 10 2012, 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Seraph

Post Wed, Oct 10 2012, 6:31 am
I have neighbors that recently moved from singapore. The wife is israeli, the husband is american israeli. Would you like me to put you in touch with them?

From what I gathered, its a pretty pretty modern community.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating