Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Which overnight camp did you go to/do you send your kids to?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Marion

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 5:08 am
Ramah. In Ontario (since there were/are 9 of them, I figured I'd specify).

chanchy123

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 5:20 am
Shabatiscoming and RachelEve which Moshava were you in?
I was in Wild Rose as a staff member in the summer of 1998 I hated it. My parents were very active in Bnei Akiva so they were there many many years as both staff members and campers. Actually my Bubby went when it was still in Rolling Praire Indiana.
We don't really have sleep away camps for DL in Israel (there are are a few but very expensive and predominantly anglo). I couldn't imagine sending my kids away for so long. I guess it's a mentality thing because you all seemed to have gone to camp and even had enjoyed it.

Raisin

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 5:41 am
Can anyone suggest a good camp for a girl from a traditional/m.o. home? the mother is american and went to ramah, but the father wants her to go to an orthodox run camp. (bnei akiva style) she keeps kosher and shabbos but wears jeans, short sleeves etc so it would need to be the right enviroment.

she lives in a tiny jewish community and her parents would love her to have more jewish friends. She is english speaking, but camps in the uk only run for 2 weeks, so a us camp would probably be best.

justmom

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 6:38 am
Moshava-- Wisconsin seems to be friendlier than the one in Penn.

RachelEve14

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 6:42 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
RachelEve14 wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I went to moshava (bnei akiva camp)

I worked at moshava for 3 years Smile
what years? not that it really remember when I was there, but I can work it out:)
I was there for my eida hey, aleph and gimmel. 1986, 87 and 89 (I think)

I was a decade later. 99, 00, 01 Smile

chanchy123

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 6:51 am
justmom wrote:

I don't know about Penn. but the people in Wisconsin were pretty snobby I felt very out of place being a non-Chicogoan (even thoguh I WAS a third gen. in Moshava).

Isramom8

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 6:56 am
amother wrote:
I went to :

shira for 6 years
raninu for 3 years
Agudah of Toronto for 2 years
Sternberg for 2 years
Machane Brocha (touring camp in Israel) for 1 year

not in this order.. though my favorite as a camper was agudah toronto and as a staff member was shira.

[posting anom cuz pple will recognize me by this:) ]

You went to sleepaway camp for FOURTEEN years? From what, 7 to 21?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 7:08 am
I went to Anna Heller, then worked as a mother's helper in Sternberg, then worked in Mishkon, then as a J.C. in Sternberg, then as a counselor in Shira.

One of my daughters went to Shira as a T.C.

I think camp is such a wonderful opportunity for certain kids.

As a younger kid, I went to Broad Channel Day Camp where everone wore shorts, and a bunch of the girls I knew are mainstream frum today. I became friends with my sister in law there when we were kids! Any Imamothers go to BCDC?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 7:32 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Shabatiscoming and RachelEve which Moshava were you in?
I was in Wild Rose as a staff member in the summer of 1998 I hated it. My parents were very active in Bnei Akiva so they were there many many years as both staff members and campers. Actually my Bubby went when it was still in Rolling Praire Indiana.
We don't really have sleep away camps for DL in Israel (there are are a few but very expensive and predominantly anglo). I couldn't imagine sending my kids away for so long. I guess it's a mentality thing because you all seemed to have gone to camp and even had enjoyed it.
I went to indian orchard in pennsylvania.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 7:33 am
justmom wrote:
I think that it depended on when you went there. I was there in the 80s and it was lovely. I have heard from people nowadays that it has gotten a bit snobby though.

Newsie

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 7:48 am
Raisin wrote:
Can anyone suggest a good camp for a girl from a traditional/m.o. home? the mother is american and went to ramah, but the father wants her to go to an orthodox run camp. (bnei akiva style) she keeps kosher and shabbos but wears jeans, short sleeves etc so it would need to be the right enviroment.

she lives in a tiny jewish community and her parents would love her to have more jewish friends. She is english speaking, but camps in the uk only run for 2 weeks, so a us camp would probably be best.

All the Moshavas that were mentioned- or Morasha, Lavi or Mesorah.

Chani

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 8:28 am
Just noticed all the Camp Dora Golding posts - my son has gone there for the last two years and really loved it! Every so often he wanders about the house singing "Oh, oh, oh Camp Dora GOLDING!" Smile

sruth1

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 8:29 am
DefyGravity wrote:
I went to Camp Gan Izzy in Kalkaska (sp?), MI for one year.

I also went there.

sruth1

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 8:36 am
I went to
Gan Yisrael MI for 4 years 1989, 1990. 1991, 1992
Agudah Miwest for 7 years 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999
Sternberg for 1 year 2000

chaylizi

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 8:55 am
I went to Dora Golding for 2 years & then went to Heller.

My sisters went to (combined): Agudah Midwest, Sternberg, Dora Golding & one sister worked as a mother's helper in Emunah one year.

heffer569

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 8:58 am
I also went to gan izzy for years

smilingmom

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 10:40 am
I went to Camp Stone as a camper and worked at Camp HASC.
My kids have gone to Camps Sternberg and Mogen Av.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 11:10 am
Newsie wrote:
Raisin wrote:

All the Moshavas that were mentioned- or Morasha, Lavi or Mesorah.

I'd say NOT Mesorah for a girl who wears jeans. Lavi would be a perfect fit. I don't know all that much about Camp Stone, but I'm guessing that would be a good fit as well.

mommalah

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 11:42 am
myfriends715 wrote:
I went to camp sternberg for 9 yrs. best camp in the world but latly they have changed made it more "regular" with trips and new bathrooms.. its not like it used to be.. iy"H WHEN I HAVE KIDS IM NOT SURE WHERE THEY WILL go

One sec.. don't you already a couple? Smile

momoftwins

Post Tue, May 28 2013, 10:41 pm
I went to TD camp
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children