Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Products on Pesach
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Motek

Post Thu, Apr 28 2005, 5:43 pm
I grew up in a home with a much more liberal attitude towards purchased Pesach products (and we ate gebrokts too).

My husband, on the other hand, eats no purchased kosher l'Pesach processed products except for:

matza
oil
wine/grape juice

uh, kinda limits the cooking possibilities (though I eat many more processed products myself) unless I feel like making my own potato starch, my own tomato sauce, my own boiled sugar, and forget about cocoa and dairy products

also, only fruits and vegetables that can be peeled and exclude garlic because many have the tradition not to eat it (even though it can be peeled) and no gebrokts

I was wondering - those who are very extreme about limiting purchased products, what do you drink on Pesach?

my husband drinks either orange/grapefruit juice we squeezed ourselves or wine/grape juice

roza

Post Thu, Apr 28 2005, 6:05 pm
I have a juicing machine for pesach and we make carrot, orange, grapefruit juices. it's easy, just peel and stuck it in. drink right away. very healthy.

Motek

Post Thu, Apr 28 2005, 6:21 pm
Quote:
drink right away

that's best but doesn't work for Yom Tov

do you prepare in advance and refrigerate?

roza

Post Thu, Apr 28 2005, 6:35 pm
no, those juices are for drinking right away.
for yom tov, I put slices of lemon or oranges in pitchers with spring water, then refrigirate. we drink grape juice, spring water. it's enough.

Sunshine

Post Thu, Apr 28 2005, 9:36 pm
Lemonade, pink lemonade, lemonade and seltzer, water, natural seltzer(it is bubbly in it's source, no added carbonation), grapejuice and seltzer - grape soda. You can make punch from fresh fruits and their juices and grape juice. I can relate to the fact of growing up eatting much more than after marrage and it is hard. Good luck. My parents didn't eat gebrokts when I was growing up but they do each much more package than my in-law's who eat nothing. The hardest thing is shmaltz the smell and thought is gross.

Motek

Post Thu, Apr 28 2005, 9:53 pm
Quote:
The hardest thing is shmaltz the smell and thought is gross.

the thought is definitely gross, but ... it's yummy on matza Wink

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, Apr 29 2005, 12:12 am
no matter what...I think its gross too.

We drink orange juice and lemonade and grape juice and water. Its only one week..so I don't feel really deprived. Its just that the cooking process takes so so long.

curlyhead

Post Fri, Apr 29 2005, 12:13 am
we drink water and grapejuice. my mother makes a cordial orange juice and suger and then it is watered down. the advantage is less oranges to squeeze

queenie

Post Fri, Apr 29 2005, 4:43 pm
Question, for those of you that don't buy anything processed, why is it ok to buy grape juice or oil? Those are very processed products?

And I know you boil the sugar, but why are you buying refined sugar and then boiling it? Refined means processed. Why not raw sugar? And have you tried to get oil from walnuts? That's a very difficult process.

Motek

Post Fri, Apr 29 2005, 5:19 pm
queenie wrote:
Question, for those of you that don't buy anything processed, why is it ok to buy grape juice or oil? Those are very processed products

and what about matza? why not grow the wheat and grind it and bake it yourself?

the answer is, that the products that are kosher l'Pesach under a reputable hashgacha, are perfectly fine to use on Pesach. When it comes to Pesach though, as opposed to all year round, individuals and communities have many additional chumros (stringencies). Some, or even many of these chumros, don't seem rational. Like, why on earth should vegetables be peeled three times with three different peelers?

but that's the way it is with Pesach, and I think one of the things we need to watch out for, before and after Pesach, is not to either 1) sneer at what seems like ridiculous or inconsistent chumros 2) not to look down on those who don't have much in the way of Pesach chumros

oh, and I forgot one other product my husband will use - salt!

Sunshine

Post Fri, Apr 29 2005, 8:17 pm
[quote="Motek Some, or even many of these chumros, don't seem rational. Like, why on earth should vegetables be peeled three times with three different peelers? [/quote]

Do you do that? That is one thing I have never heard before. I give any lady cedit that can do that for 8 days staright and not go insain especially considering the amt of veg eatten on Pesach.

Tefila

Post Fri, Apr 29 2005, 8:19 pm
Quote:
Do you do that? That is one thing I have never heard before

Never heard that b/4 too Confused

queenie

Post Mon, May 02 2005, 9:49 am
Regarding salt. Do you really think that coarse salt comes as small little rocks? They have PROCESSED the salt and have already ground it up from a much larger block. Table salt is that exact same thing it stayed in the grinding machine longer.

Something to think about.....

roza

Post Mon, May 02 2005, 9:59 am
well, a possible answer is to minimize the amount of proccesed food to the minimum. (salt, matza, wine, grape juice are needed for seder)
anyway, it's a humra and not halacha, so you don't have to do it.

girliesmommy

Post Mon, May 02 2005, 12:07 pm
Queenie... to answer your question... Yes, there are people who make EVERYTHING themselves (shecht their own chickens, bake their own Matzahs, and make their own wine. They don't use anything processed!)

I can only talk for myself here, and say that I am not on that level, and we take the leniency of buying the things that are necessities for Pesach but are practically impossible to make yourself (bearing in mind that I live in the middle of nowhere!) So for that reason we buy our own matzah, salt and wine - of course with the best Hechsher possible.

But now I ask you... why the bitterness? Does it really bother you so much that some people are stricter than others?!?

gryp

Post Mon, May 02 2005, 9:51 pm
is it just me, how come I dont see any nastiness in this thread but theres a discussion about it?

Sunshine- I was just talking about this- about the smell of shmaltz and how bad it used to be, and someone commented to me that it doesnt smell anymore for many years already. where do you get your chickens from?

queenie

Post Mon, May 02 2005, 10:49 pm
girlsmommy,

yeah, why were those other ladies so bitter? Question

Sunshine

Post Tue, May 03 2005, 2:35 pm
RG wrote:
Sunshine- I was just talking about this- about the smell of shmaltz and how bad it used to be, and someone commented to me that it doesnt smell anymore for many years already. where do you get your chickens from?

From Rubashkins.

gryp

Post Tue, May 03 2005, 3:44 pm
we got the same thing, and it didnt smell at all.... Confused

Sunshine

Post Tue, May 03 2005, 3:46 pm
Could be because I don't like chicken either or the smell of it? Wink
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics