Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Products on Pesach
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Motek

Post Sun, Apr 02 2006, 3:26 pm
I'm reviving this timely thread.

cindy324

Post Sun, Apr 02 2006, 10:18 pm
B"H we use everything on Pesach, otherwise I'd probably go insane!
I can't imagine cooking without all those ingredients. How would I bake a simple marble cake? NO cocoa, and even if I didn't put the cocoa in I'd have to make my own potato starch?!

Oy, it's not for me, hats off to you ladies that have to do all that!

hisorerus

Post Sun, Apr 02 2006, 10:28 pm
We just don't make cake! If we're ready to live without the ingredients, we have to live without the variety of foods also.

ektsm

Post Sun, Apr 02 2006, 10:29 pm
Pesach si so hard OY!

stem

Post Sun, Apr 02 2006, 11:01 pm
q: why don't lubavitchers use ready made ingredients? I assume that you would trust certain hechsherim, so why not?

Crayon210

Post Sun, Apr 02 2006, 11:13 pm
Truth be told, each woman has her own meshuga'as for Pesach, and it's not easy for anyone!

shayna82

Post Sun, Apr 02 2006, 11:23 pm
we are buying tropicana kosher for pesach o.j.

other drinks will be homemade.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 4:28 am
Interesting thread.

Quote:
Regarding salt. Do you really think that coarse salt comes as small little rocks? They have PROCESSED
check your table salt. chances are there are some ingred. besides salt. (at least the iodized, which from the looks of it is not kasher l'pesach.) Coarse salt has the advantage that it can be checked grain by grain, for any impurities, which is (or should be done) done before Pesach. You can't do that to table salt.
Quote:
The hardest thing is shmaltz the smell and thought is gross.

shmaltz is not bad! just the fatty deposits are hard to clean. The only problem I have with shmaltz is that since it's fleishig, cannot substitute for oil in a dressing for salad you are eating with fish. There are other ways to dress the salda though. and often we eat cucumbers (plain slices) with our fish and surprisingly everyone is satisfied)

Using three peelers? although I've never done that, we have a separate peeling knife, not used for cutting up the fruit or veg. I'd assume that it's because any thing on the peel could transfer to the peeler, so that layer needs to get peeled, and the third time would be for added caution. So that any mashehu wouldn't actually end up on the fruit itself.

We also don't use hot tap water. The water is usually freezing, and I have sensitive skin that scales and cracks from it, so I have come up with a patent. I wear those small one size fits all wool gloves under well fitting lztex gloves and do all the veg. washing with that.

drinks are grapejuice,squeezed oranges, grapefruit, and lemonade from lemons and added grapejuice. We buy a case of oranges, at least 16 lemons, and two cases of grapejuice. it can be watered down and still taste good.

cindy324

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 12:47 pm
What about dairy products? What do you feed the kids? Do you all live on chicken and potatoes and eggs the whole pesach? No yogurt, leben cottage cheese, no nosh for the kids, nothing???

I know I sound like a spoiled brat, but I just can't imagine. My kids would literally starve .

gryp

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 12:58 pm
its only one week Wink

SY- do you mind (very much) sharing with me your menus? maybe you have some ideas for us?
(btw, we also do the plain cucumber slices with fish.)

Last edited by gryp on Mon, Apr 03 2006, 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

shayna82

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 1:00 pm
our family uses dairy products, others dont.

another point: pesach is the time to eat simply. no offense to anyone on here: but pesachdik pizza on pesach sounds a little too much. the whole point is to stay away from that type of food for 8 days, not try and make it "kosher" to use on pesach. its only 8 days. but in the end... to each their own

stem

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 1:22 pm
Please someone answer my question: why not eat dairy and proccessed food with a good hechsher? And if you don't hold by any hechsher on pesach, then why don't you make your own wine and bake your own matza?

chen

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 1:30 pm
Right you are, shayna82!
Nice as it is to see all the new pesachdik products on the shelves, a lot of them seem to be trying to make pesach feel as 'chometzdik" as possible. From an esthetic standpoint, IMO, having pizza, lokshen, breakfast cereal, and blintzes on pesach is like going to a chinese restaurant and ordering a steak and fries. From a philosophical standpoint one could argue that all these items are trying to mimic something that's ossur. (Of course, one could argue that margarine, coffee rich, parve shakes, Tofutti, Bacos, phony crab, pareve "cheese" with meat lasagna
etc. etc. are also trying to mimic something that's ossur.)

shayna82

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 1:53 pm
its hard, cuz I really want to use potato startch, my husband said its up to me since I grew up with it, and im the one cooking. after a lot of thought I decided against it. why? because the real reason I wanted it was to make cakes , but then wait a minute, its PESACH. there shouldnt be any cake on pesach. dessert will be fruit salad and the like, no cake. its only 8 days, no one is going to starve, the kids will have meat, chicken, potato salad, some cheese here and there, tzimis, kugel... no one will starve without a piece of cake!

mali

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 1:57 pm
stem wrote:
Please someone answer my question: why not eat dairy?

the lubavitcher rebbe used plain cheese and milk on pesach, so why don't we? it's a good question!

girlsmom

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 2:08 pm
Quote:
The hardest thing is shmaltz the smell and thought is gross

my family uses it and I just can't bring myself to eat anything that contains it. b''h my husband uses oil and it has made my life much easier!

shayna82

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 2:10 pm
stem, some people want to be as strict as they can be on pesach, if thta means no cheese or dairy products, then thats what strict means for them. not everyone is on that level, but kudos to those that are!

mali

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 2:13 pm
girlsmom wrote:
Quote:
The hardest thing is shmaltz the smell and thought is gross

my family uses it and I just can't bring myself to eat anything that contains it. b''h my husband uses oil and it has made my life much easier!

same here. in my parents' home, there wasn't a pesach that I didn't throw up, usually 3-4 times. it tastes okay, but my stomach doesn't get along with it at all.

sarahd

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 2:16 pm
The people I know who don't use milk on Pesach don't because "in der heim" there was no kosher lePesach milk available and we continue the minhag of our parents. Same reason that yekkes don't eat chicken and others don't eat meat. We don't eat fish. We also eat only the simplest dairy products - milk, butter and cottage cheese. No yogurt, no leben, no hard cheese. We try to limit ourselves to the stuff that was least messed around with.

BTW, my mother told me that she has never used sweet potatoes on Pesach because when she was first married she went to the fruit man to buy some for Pesach and he told her not to use sweet potatoes on Pesach because they're injected with dye. Anyone ever heard of that? I wonder if they still are (this happened almost 45 years ago.)

Crayon210

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 2:38 pm
mali wrote:
stem wrote:
Please someone answer my question: why not eat dairy?

the lubavitcher rebbe used plain cheese and milk on pesach, so why don't we? it's a good question!

Do you have a source for this?
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics