Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Can you recommend a "Kosher" movie?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

LPJ

Post Mon, Feb 06 2006, 2:07 pm
I'm a big fan of the Thin Man series. It is a cute oldschool husband and wife detective team in black and white.

amother

Post Tue, Feb 07 2006, 10:29 am
I don't usually watch films, but once in a while..... Can someone give me a reccomendation for films please. My husband likes funny stuff.
I have seen
Mrs. Doubtfire
The odd couple
The Parent Trap
Duplex
Home alone-He loved it
Liar, Liar
Babys day out
The blank check

Ive tried screen it .com but they have mostly new titles only.

hardwrknmom

Post Tue, Feb 07 2006, 10:46 am
Motek wrote:
hardwrknmom wrote:
Shawshank Redemption

The Patriot

The usual suspect

I looked each one up and each one is rated R for violence/language.

What do posters think of watching movies rated R for violence/language (as opposed to s-x)?

Leave me alone.... if I enjoy them, whats the problem?
I DO NOT need your rating guidance.. I'm an adult. Now scatttttt

Crayon210

Post Tue, Feb 07 2006, 12:41 pm
There may or may not be a problem, but the ATTITUDE of "I enjoy them" is not necessarily an appropriate one.

chen

Post Tue, Feb 07 2006, 1:28 pm
For yourself you are free to watch XXX movies if that's what spins your windmill. there are plenty of websites to look up available movies, but if a person is asking on a frum site, it is reasonable to assume that she is looking for movies that comply with some minimal level of frum standards.

My guess is that most people on a frum site would consider an R rating to be, at best, pushing the envelope of what is acceptable, and more likely completely beyond the pale. I for one appreciate being informed in advance that there is content that may offend me. I can then make an informed choice to view or not to view.

In answer to Motek's question, I feel that an R-rating for violence or language is as meaningful as the other. I appreciate being warned, but I am well aware that the industry standards and my standards are worlds apart. (Even a PG rating does not mean that a movie will be appropriate for my children to watch.)

I feel also that viewing gratuitous violence is every bit as damaging to the psyche as viewing licentiousness.

Motek

Post Tue, Feb 07 2006, 6:32 pm
the original amother who started this thread actually wrote:

Quote:
Can you recommend good, relatively clean movies?

and therefore, I think movies rated R don't meet her needs

thanks for your response chen

Quote:
if I enjoy them, whats the problem?

how would you, hardwrknmom, respond to someone who said that about treif food or about out of wedlock s-x or adulterous affairs? to someone who said they're an adult and who needs you and your religious ideas?

hardwrknmom

Post Tue, Feb 07 2006, 7:25 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
There may or may not be a problem, but the ATTITUDE of "I enjoy them" is not necessarily an appropriate one.

I like how your being judgemental over such a trivial thing. Until you've reached a level of perfection- then we shall talk.

hardwrknmom

Post Tue, Feb 07 2006, 7:27 pm
Motek wrote:
how would you, hardwrknmom, respond to someone who said that about treif food or about out of wedlock s-x or adulterous affairs? to someone who said they're an adult and who needs you and your religious ideas?

Connection?

goldrose

Post Tue, Feb 07 2006, 7:38 pm
motek, the original poster said RELATIVELY clean. How about if we ask HER what she mean - does R-rated fit into her idea of RELATIVELY - instead of you jumping to your own conclusions
Quote:
and therefore, I think movies rated R don't meet her needs
in this case, what you THINK is irrelevant, as the original poster may think otherwise and SHE is the one we are trying to satisfy.
In fact, perhaps she means that MOST of the movie is clean, and that a 1/2 minute piece of "uncleanliness" suits her idea of RELATIVELY. In which case, Shawshank Redemption would be OKAY.

No, I don't watch movies. Yes, I have watched movies in the past. No, not a lot. Just a handful.

Crayon210

Post Tue, Feb 07 2006, 9:55 pm
hardwrknmom wrote:
I like how your being judgemental over such a trivial thing. Until you've reached a level of perfection- then we shall talk.

1. My only judgment was of your attitude. It's not really a Jewish attitude.

2. I have reached a level of perfection. Let's talk. Rolling Eyes

Tefila

Post Wed, Feb 08 2006, 12:52 am
Quote:
For yourself you are free to watch XXX movies if that's what spins your windmill. there are plenty of websites to look up available movies, but if a person is asking on a frum site, it is reasonable to assume that she is looking for movies that comply with some minimal level of frum standards

Chen I agree 100% Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out Tongue Out

Ahuva

Post Wed, Feb 08 2006, 1:37 pm
for kids we like;

sesame street (elmos world)
Bambi
mary popins

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 10:19 am
goldrose - sorry to hear you think so poorly of the original amother

I choose to judge her favorably.

AweSumThenSum

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 10:21 am
children, children, let's stop this verbal bickering, shall we? how about just answering the original poster if you have an ANSWER to her question, and keep quiet if you plan on answering with another question or something else?????

timeout

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 12:26 pm
I saw the Anne of Avonlea movies with my parents this past summer they were very good and we all enjoyed them!

For me personally I love the princess diaries with Julie Andrews anything that has a Cinderella like ending is for me.

shoy18

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 12:28 pm
timeout wrote:
I saw the Anne of Avonlea movies with my parents this past summer they were very good and we all enjoyed them!

For me personally I love the princess diaries with Julie Andrews anything that has a Cinderella like ending is for me.

I think I watched every single anne of avonlea movies as a kid as well as alot of shiry temple movies!

amother

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 1:48 pm
I would recomend ushpizim filmed in isreal/.

goldrose

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 1:55 pm
Quote:
I choose to judge her favorably.

I'm a realist.

chen

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 10:10 pm
Any of the Tracy-Hepburn movies, in fact almost anything with Katharine Hepburn. warning she does wear swimsuits and backless or sleeveless evening gowns if that's going to upset you. anything with fred astaire/ginger rogers/gene kelly.

tzipp

Post Thu, Feb 16 2006, 10:40 am
ok- this movie could get it's own thread it's so good- Bride and Predjudice
the indian pride and predjudice. My sisters and I all absolutely loved it, and it's a musical too. Also, kind of cool, it's more tznius in a way (because of indian culture). Have any of you guys seen it? what did you think?
Page 3 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics