Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Can you recommend a "Kosher" movie?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 8:51 am
Thanks Rivka, couldn't have said it better!

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with watching movies, and never even knew about the double standards of hiding TVs and sneaking to Blockbuster in Park Slope, until I lived in a certain place.....
edited by mod

chen

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 9:04 am
shanie5 wrote:
I question fiddler on the roof. as a movie, yes its "clean", but what is the story? first girl chooses her own husband (not bad) second chooses a reform guy, and third marries a [gentile]. so how can you reccomend the movie?

It's a reflection of the world of the shtetl during Sholom Aleichem's times (late 1800's). These were precisely the challenges that faced the jewish community: pogroms, rebellion against traditional ways, encroaching influence of outside world, and, yes, loss of faith.

BTW Hodel did not marry a REFORM guy, she married a political "radical". Not the same thing. Nowhere does it imply that he stopped keeping shabbos or eating kosher.

As for Chava, who marries out--Tevye shows quite clearly that THIS he is not accepting. he resigns himself to the idea that the world is changing and his daughters will follow their own hearts, but with Chava he says quite definitely--"There is no other hand." At the end when they are leaving Anatevka and Chava comes to say goodbye, he rejects her completely and says he has no daughter Chava. She has betrayed her people and no longer belongs.

The overall message of the movie as I see it is that tradition is essential to hold a people together. Traditions can be modified somewhat to adapt to changing conditions, but some things are absolute and eternal.

Last edited by chen on Tue, Feb 28 2006, 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mommy912

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 9:13 am
Ah, don't we all love the fiddler..

(Jews) from all over the world...

My appreciation to the original poster of this link Question Wink

(yep, that's Japanese)

gryp

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 9:41 am
Quote:
And how come every post turns into a holier than thou argument and a sudden "I do care about you and I am sad to hear that your spirituality is lacking, because mine is obviously not so" Just go look in your own freaking mirror and stop trying to educate others out of your own insecurities. This place has become a one stop machmir shop!

actually, its become a "cool- look what I do" heter shop. Rolling Eyes
and am I the one with insecurities because I refuse under any circumstance to have the garbage in my house?
edited by mod

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 10:03 am
GR - I don't watch TV because I think it's cool. I watch it because I enjoy it, and where I come from, there are no taboos about watching TV. It's a non-issue.

. If they don't want people to know that they rent movies, then they can do Netflix. The problem I have is the double standard of saying you don't have a TV, but renting almost any movie and watching it on a computer or "moniter". Or completely lying about the fact that one owns a TV. Actually, now I'm starting to understand why people with TV's need to stay below the radar (when they live in certain communities). If some people find out about the TV, people in the community will cluck their toungues and probably start to doubt their kashrus and how frum they really are.
edited by mod

gryp

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 10:13 am
Quote:
If they don't want people to know that they rent movies, then they can do Netflix

People who go out in public to rent movies are obviously unashamed.

Quote:
The problem I have is the double standard of saying you don't have a TV, but renting almost any movie and watching it on a computer or "moniter".

it depends. to some that is not a double standard. to me it is.
or how about, lets get back to the judging discussions. perhaps these type of families very unwillingly gave up their TV's because they knew it was the right thing to do, but still want to watch something now and then.
how can we judge them and say it is a double standard? it all depends on where youre coming from.
Quote:
Or completely lying about the fact that one owns a TV

do you know people that lie about it?
Quote:
If some people find out about the TV, people in the community will cluck their toungues and probably start to doubt their kashrus and how frum they really are.

thats life.
edited by mod

Rivka

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 1:52 pm
This whole thread is about watching movies, for those that do not and want to preach about how bad etc etc it is, then go make a new thread.

Mrs.Norris

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 2:16 pm
shanie5 wrote:
I question fiddler on the roof. as a movie, yes its "clean", but what is the story? first girl chooses her own husband (not bad) second chooses a reform guy, and third marries a [gentile]. so how can you reccomend the movie?

The film hardly glorifies intermarriage so yes I think it is a good film with a good, strong message.
As Chen has already said, Tevye rejects Chava for marrying a non-Jew and the message throughout is that you have to keep tradition.

As for people caring about what other people do in their spare time ... I will never get this attitude. It has nothing to do with anyone else but the people involved and if they don't think it's wrong to watch films it's not anyone elses business to start "caring" (although I hardly call it caring, I think it's prying into others private lives).

I also will never get why the whole Lubavitch thing seems to be an issue in every post, it's actually quite insulting to others. It is as if you're implying that Lubavitch people are on a higher level than non-Lubavitchers so things which you consider to be bad are expected from anyone who is not Lubavitch.

Back on topic:
Another good, clean film is (the new) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Crayon210

Post Mon, Feb 27 2006, 3:22 pm
Mrs.Norris wrote:
(although I hardly call it caring, I think it's prying into others private lives).

I'm glad you are the Definition Police. Thanks for telling me who I care about and who I don't care about.

Mrs.Norris wrote:
I also will never get why the whole Lubavitch thing seems to be an issue in every post, it's actually quite insulting to others.

Talk about Chabad insults you? How strange.

Mrs.Norris wrote:
It is as if you're implying that Lubavitch people are on a higher level than non-Lubavitchers so things which you consider to be bad are expected from anyone who is not Lubavitch.

No one said Lubavitchers are on a higher level or any such nonsense. No one said anything about anyone who's not Lubavitch. amother expressed surprise that someone who identifies as Lubavitch watches movies, because in Chabad it is generally not done. That wasn't a judgment on any other group's standards. amother didn't come on here and say, "Hey all you non-Lubavitch people, I thought you were frum, why are you watching movies?" Why didn't she? Probably because Chabad has a different (did anyone say better or worse?) standard than non-Chabad groups do.

jewgal84

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 3:37 pm
Quote:
jewgal, you also watch movies? from the rest of your posts I thought you werent the type.

And what type are you, some1 who looks down at someone behind a curtain, really now.

I didn't know there was a "type" ?

imale

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 3:17 am
Whoever liked Fiddler on the roof, make sure to watch it on Broadway! It was absolutely beautiful! And very clean, showing religion in a pretty way.

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 7:31 am
imale wrote:
Whoever liked Fiddler on the roof, make sure to watch it on Broadway! It was absolutely beautiful! And very clean, showing religion in a pretty way.

Sorry, it's no longer playing on Broadway!
It's last performance was January 8th, and Lion King will be moving to the now vacant theater.

Motek

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 1:10 pm
Mommy912 wrote:
Ah, don't we all love the fiddler..

(Jews) from all over the world...

My appreciation to the original poster of this link Question Wink

(yep, that's Japanese)

someone sent me that link via email and I cringed when I saw it, the woolen tzitzis etc.
no offense mommy912 but I couldn't watch it for more than a few seconds Confused

jewgal84

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 1:49 pm
LOL I thought that was so funny, Japanese or Chinese?

Well, wherever there's Coke there will always be Jews... LOL !!!

Mommy912

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 2:27 pm
Motek wrote:

.. but I couldn't watch it for more than a few seconds Confused

I couldn't watch it for more than a short time too. Not so entertaining to watch things when you don't know what they are saying.
I just thought it was interesting to see what Japanese people think Jews are. Surprising that there were no horns or big paper mache noses.
But you are right, it is a bit 'off' to see a [gentile] wearing tzitzis.
I am sure they also did this on the Broadway version.

ny21

Post Fri, Apr 07 2006, 7:55 am
parent trap

it is a movie about identical girls ]

the sound of music Music

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 9:29 am
Hi all, please help me by telling me if you know of a nice movie: no unclothed bodies, no violence, no insulting humor, etc. When my DH and I want to see an occasional DVD we are down to oldies (Bob Hope, Marx Brothers) or kiddie movies. Please recommend something nice for us to rent. Thanks!

momofgirls

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 9:34 am
I am sam is awesome, I believe cheaper by the dozen is kosher. I'll thin of more & post.

Chaya4

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 9:36 am
hoodwinked is pretty good.

mumof1

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 9:43 am
envy, italian job, the pursuit of hapiness and the devil wears prada.
go onto peekvid.com
they have all these movies for free that you do not download to your computer, and watch for free.
check it out.
I check the movies and then search them in yahoo movies.
Page 5 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics