Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Spices to add to hot water instead of soup mix?

amother

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 7:17 pm
sorry to post under anon, but I'm not about to reveal this to the public yet.

bh I'm pregnant and SO nauseous. biggest issue with this is that the thought of drinking water disgusts me. I don't generally drink anything else (occasional juice, that's it), but I did notice that warm liquids go down better than cold/room temp.

I don't like tea or plain water. I do love soup broth, like the kind with those instant packets or soup mixes. however, since they are full of salt, it kind of negates the whole 'drink to hydrate' bit.

so I'm looking for some spices- I have lots in my cupboard- that I could add to hot water to make it soup-like (and available instantly, as I'm too exhausted and nauseous to be preparing real recipes).

thanks in advance!

Inspired

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 7:30 pm
tumeric, dried parsley, paprika, garlic and onion powder and something sweet.

Pineapple

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 7:33 pm
Garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, turmeric
Really any spices you like

anotherima

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 7:37 pm
how about hot water with a slice of lemon?

miyodea

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 7:45 pm
anotherima wrote:
how about hot water with a slice of lemon?

Bring to a boil with a bay leaf and a clove of garlic for savory, or with honey for sweet. Lemon is wonderful for nausea.

Bshaah Tova!

Inspired

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 7:56 pm
if you are looking for something else yummy, a slice of fresh ginger, 2 slices of orange, a cinnamon stick, a couple sprigs of fresh mint and some honey in a mug of hot water. Ginger is good for nausea.

greenfire

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 8:35 pm
just add more water to the soup mix to make it less salty ...

garlic, pepper, salt & onions would be basic

have you tried gatorade Idea

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 8:45 pm
If you want savoury like soup, I suggest hawaj (the mixture contains cumin, turmeric, pepper etc). Though it would be hard to make it yummy like soup with just hot water and spice. It'll need some taste or consistency, so quite different/lacking from the real soup. Alternatively you can dilute a teasp of miso for a quick miso soup.

I'm also a hot drink person, though my preferred drink during the day is mostly milky decaf tea. I can increase my calcium/dairy intake that way as well. Otherwise, an assortment of herbal tea, rooibos tea. If you want something easier, just add a few drops of orange blossom water (we call it cafe blanc).

spring13

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 11:27 pm
http://www.joyofkosher.com/rec.....-mix/

MrsDash

Post Tue, Oct 23 2012, 11:48 pm
If you're vomiting, the extra electrolytes from the soup mix may be good for you. (Unless your doctor has instructed otherwise.)

What about a homemade mixed vegetable soup, tomato soup or barley soup? That way you control the salt content.

What kinds of foods can you keep down, or have the "appetite" to even look at? You can make soups with so many foods, herbs, and/or spices.

zigi

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 8:28 am
how about the imagine organic broths and soups. they are ready made soups. they don't have any additives.

shoeboxgirly

Post Wed, Oct 24 2012, 10:26 am
a dollop of tomato paste and worcestershire sauce it quite nice.

Have you tried sparkling water (with a slice of lime). I know drinking water is like eugh, but maybe it will help!

amother

Post Fri, Oct 26 2012, 2:00 pm
oh my, thanks everyone for responding!!

I would never have thought to put turmeric in, but a lot of you suggested that. think I'll try it!

I do not like water with lemon or any sweet additions like mint or cinnamon.

I can't drink gatorade... serious nausea!

mrs. bissli, I've been dying to try haiwaj cuz everyone here posts about it. I have to remember to get some next time I'm in an area with a big jewish supermarket.

yoshi- there are electrolytes in soup mix? who'da known?

zigi- I love those imagine soups and do use them a lot. they do have a bit of salt, though.

thanks, guys.... I'll be trying some of these soon!

sensibility

Post Sat, Oct 27 2012, 11:53 pm
nobody mentioned white pepper. I deprive my cooking of osem soup mixes most of the time cuz its such (yummy) junk--but salt, onion powder, celery salt and white pepper are what I usually add to my homemade soups. and yes, moderate amounts of salt in your diet will actually keep the fluids in your body in the right places so you don't dehydrate.

NonnaDev

Post Tue, Oct 30 2012, 7:41 am
Hi,

For nausea use ginger and some peppermint (if you can tolerate); you can also use some camomile. A good substitute for the soup powders is Imagine or Pacific organic soups in containers. The larger kosher supermarkets sell them. I use the No Chicken, veggie, tomato, corn, and butternut squash soups as bases for my cooking all the time. These 32 ounce containers of broth/soup are a good shortcut for cooking and they are healthy.

If you are craving salt all of the time, it's best to speak to your doctor.

B'sha'a Tova,

Nonna Flower

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Oct 30 2012, 7:07 pm
I think I found a perfect "seasoning" for hot water... miso
You just dilute for a cup of nice miso soup. I like adding chopped salad onion. The only thing is I think it's quite high in sodium so watch out servings.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking